Found this statement on another polling site.

This is a discussion on Found this statement on another polling site. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at other polls around the web and found this one. This opinion was given when asked about the .223 Bushmaster as ...

Thread: Found this statement on another polling site.

Found this statement on another polling site.

I have been looking at other polls around the web and found this one. This opinion was given when asked about the .223 Bushmaster as being an assault weapon. I cut it a little bit because it was long.

as·sault
    noun
    1.a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition.
    2.Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner.
    3.Military . the stage of close combat in an attack.
    4.rape1 .
    verb (used with object)
    5.to make an assault upon; attack; assail.

weap·on
    noun
    1.any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
    2.anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.
    3.Zoology . any part or organ serving for attack or defense, as claws, horns, teeth, or stings.
    verb (used with object)
    4.to supply or equip with a weapon or weapons: to weapon aircraft with heat-seeking missiles.

So, if I pick up a rock and hurl it at another person in a violent attack, that rock is an assault weapon. I therefore judge that the rifle in question MIGHT be an assault weapon, or a very expensive paper weight, depending on how it is used.

2. Remove Ads

I think your etymological petticoat is showing. The rock you just threw is a a rock you used to assault someone.

Apply the same thinking to "barn dance." You can call up the definition of a barn and the definition of a dance, but when used together a barn dance is neither - it's a social event.

Rather than seeking opinions from sites like Wikipedia, I'd rather get it from an authoritative source (see link). I saw the same definition at the Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

GunFax.com - the unofficial Calico fan site and Rockin' Rimfires
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Call them "Defensive Weapons" which, in our common use, could well be correct. Mine have never assaulted anyone.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

GH
    Lately & probably for a long time newspeople have been assaulting gun owners. Does that mean their pens, pencils, typewriters, word processors, voices are "assault weapons".
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Links