shooting in walmart

shooting in walmart

This is a discussion on shooting in walmart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; not sure if anyone's read this; if so, sorry. Wal-Mart shooting was first under concealed carry permit By ASSOCIATED PRESS August 30, 2005 ALBUQUERQUE (AP) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting in walmart

shooting in walmart

not sure if anyone's read this; if so, sorry.

Wal-Mart shooting was first under concealed carry permit

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
    August 30, 2005

ALBUQUERQUE (AP) - A fatal shooting at an Albuquerque Wal-Mart last week was the state's first by someone with a concealed-carry gun permit, authorities said.

Police said Felix Vigil was attacking his ex-wife with a knife near the store's deli counter where she worked when an armed customer intervened and shot him. The woman, Joyce Cordova, was treated for multiple stab wounds and later released from an Albuquerque hospital.

The armed customer, 72-year-old Due Moore, was interviewed after the shooting last Thursday and released.

Police spokeswoman Officer Trish Hoffman said it appeared the shooting was justified. However, it will be up to the district attorney to decide whether Moore, a volunteer with the police department's cold case unit, will be prosecuted.

Moore could not be reached for comment.

New Mexico allows citizens age 21 and over to carry concealed weapons if they complete firearms training and pass national and local criminal background checks.

Moore's fatal shot was the first fired by someone with a permit, according to state Department of Public Safety spokesman Peter Olson. The state has issued more than 3,100 permits since the gun law went into effect Jan. 1, 2004.

Moore took a class to get his permit just 13 days after the law went into effect, said Cody Patton, a manager at Calibre's National Shooters Sports Center in Albuquerque. That's where Moore was certified.

"He was the fourth person ever to sign up for a permit," Patton said. "I've now done more than 300 of them."

Patton said there has been a fair amount of interest in concealed-carry permits at his range _ in particular during the first four months after the law passed

Appears justified how many times does someone have to be stabbed before it is obviously justified.

Yep...been covered--but for those who are new who haven't seen this--this is what makes it so puzzling to the rest of us when Wally world makes their crazy no firearms allowed stance...what was customer service doing before the CCW holder stopped the attack?

Mike in VA

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    sounds like a good shoot to me. The guy's ex-wife suffered multiple stab wounds, so he clearly intended to kill her.

Anyone near a WalMart that puts up "Criminals Welcome" signs should give the manager a copy of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Moore could not be reached for comment.
    Smart man!! No reason to say anything about it until the DA makes his decision.

If you look at packing.org Walmart no carry zone for NM, wonder how that's going to work.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

In NM, any place that sells alcohol has to put up the sign.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    So, was Mr. Moore carrying legally in the NM Walmart or not?

Anyone have further information about how this case ended up? The story seems to hint that he may have faced charges. (?!)

We here all (no doubt) feel that he was not only justified in shooting to save this woman's life, but he should be commended, not face the possibility of being prosecuted.

But the facet of this story that is new to me since reading of this case last year is the one of NM barring carry in places that sell alcohol. Others have indicated that Walmart, which sells wine and beer (do they sell liquor in NM? they don't here in FL) is required to forbid entry by those carrying guns. Does this complicate things for Moore, or not?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    well, I certainly hope things don't get legally complicated for him. That's kind of a raw deal if the DA decides to press charges on a 70yr old volunteer for the PD who clearly saved this woman's life, just for carrying in a WalMart where they sell alcoholic beverages (surely for off-premesis consumption)

Exactly. That's why I was hoping someone has info on an update for this case.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    So, was Mr. Moore carrying legally in the NM Walmart or not?

Anyone have further information about how this case ended up? The story seems to hint that he may have faced charges. (?!)
    The WalMart that Mr. Moore was in is a few miles from my house. It does not sell Alcohol.

The case is pretty much done. Last I read, the sign at that particular walmart was not easily recognizable, behind some stuff or something.

Last time I went to that Walmart I could not find the sign. I should shop there just because it is not a felony to cc there because they do not sell alcahol. The other Walmart is a little closer to me though and in a better part of town.

Lead Moderator
    The headline should have read "Woman's life saved by concealed carry permit holder".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Wait wait wait wait wait. It's a FELONY to bring a CCW into a place that is posted because of alcohol sales?!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Wait wait wait wait wait. It's a FELONY to bring a CCW into a place that is posted because of alcohol sales?!
    In NM it is a felony to carry a handgun into anyplace that sells alcohol wether they have a sign or not. CCL holders are responsible for knowing the law and complying.

BTW Most places is NM sell alcohol, so you really got to watch what your doing.

It is quite a drag to have to disarm just to go get a coke at the quicky mart, but that is the way the law is for now. So If you get held up on your way back to your car you are sort of out of luck. The thing that really bugs me about disarming is that if someone breaks into your vehicle while you are in the store, now they are armed and you are not.
    Last edited by crankinNM; October 13th, 2006 at 09:48 PM. Reason: More info

Wasn't NM one of the states where they had a really tough row to hoe to get CCW passed, only in the last couple years?

That would seem to explain such draconian restrictions.

There must be some updated news on this case...it happened over 13 months ago!

Anyone...anyone....Buehler....Buehler?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links