Center Vent or Side Vent Jackets for CC

This is a discussion on Center Vent or Side Vent Jackets for CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When your are CCing with a suit coat or sport coat do you wear center vent coats, side vent coats or it does not matter? ...

View Poll Results: When wearing a suit coat or sport coat, I prefer:

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Center vent only

11 52.38%
  • Side vent only

2 9.52%
  • It does not matter to me - either works

6 28.57%
  • Other - please explain

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Center Vent or Side Vent Jackets for CC

VIP Member

When your are CCing with a suit coat or sport coat do you wear center vent coats, side vent coats or it does not matter? It seems to me that a side vent could easily expose your gun.

ETA: The vent is the slit that is usually either in the center of the back or on the sides. The vent allows the back of the jacket to move out of the way when you sit. I have no idea why they call them vents, but that is what my tailor calls them
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure what "vent" is but then I don't wear suits anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    When your are CCing with a suit coat or sport coat do you wear center vent coats, side vent coats or it does not matter? It seems to me that a side vent could easily expose your gun.

ETA: The vent is the slit that is usually either in the center of the back or on the sides. The vent allows the back of the jacket to move out of the way when you sit. I have no idea why they call them vents, but that is what my tailor calls them
    I am ignorant on this do you mean vests?
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

If I'm wearing a suit I use an ankle holster since chances are good I'll be taking my jacket off when it gets too warm.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I think it would depend on where (position on your body) you wear you gun. If you wear it behind the hip the double would tend to expose the gun. Same for the rear if you wore it center of back.

Just my $.02
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

What ever vent is in style..................usually back.

Center vent

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    I am ignorant on this do you mean vests?
    No, vents are used in most suit/sport coats. If you look at the back bottom of the coat, a center vent is a slit up the middle of the back and side vents are slits on either side. Some coats are ventless, but they are not all that comfortable to sit in as they have a tendency to ride up.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

GH
    I seldom wear suits or sports jackets these days but it wouldn't make much difference to me. If I was ever in a position wear I had to wear them often I'd maybe consider a shoulder holster. Either way you wear your concealed weapon it's always a good idea to practice your draw often.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    No, vents are used in most suit/sport coats. If you look at the back bottom of the coat, a center vent is a slit up the middle of the back and side vents are slits on either side. Some coats are ventless, but they are not all that comfortable to sit in as they have a tendency to ride up.
    Ah ... Thanks for the edication
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    I carry strong side so, center vent for me.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Vent location doesn't matter for me. I carry at 3:00 and I sweep the jacket back from the front when drawing. This is something I practice daily during times alone at work. The jacket has to be swept clear of the weapon for a clean draw. The vent location will not matter (with exception of rigs worn near the vent location).
    Nmuskier likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I had to go look, But both of my suits have a center vent. I pocket carry in a suit tho so its a moot point. DR

VIP Member
    I have a mix of coats with center and side vents. I wore a side vent yesterday with my G30 in a PK BOP at 3:30 or so in an environment where I absolutely do not want to be made (legal, but sensitive). Man that makes me nervous. I was sitting, standing, sitting, moving around. I don't think it showed, but I prefer a center vent. Its probably just mental, but for me, I think I will go with my center vents when carrying on a belt.

Yes I realize I could just shove an LCP in a trouser pocket and eliminate the issue - and I may from time to time - especially if I want to wear a side vent jacket, but I wanted the ability to shoot at longer ranges/more accuracy for this venue.

I wear both, it really makes no difference. As an aside, Men's Wearhouse will tailor your trousers and jackets for concealed carry, including reinforcing your jacket lining to account for wear. Very concealed carry friendly.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links