Not sure?

This is a discussion on Not sure? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so the wife and I where at the mall shopping tonight minus the kids. On our way to the car some punk about runs ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By sdprof
  • 3 Post By kelcarry
  • 1 Post By kelcarry
  • 1 Post By .45acpguy

Thread: Not sure?

Not sure?

Ok so the wife and I where at the mall shopping tonight minus the kids. On our way to the car some punk about runs us over and my wife throws her arms in the air and is like dude watch where your going! Well this must have hit a nerve in him cause he proceeded to holler out his window about kicking our #*% and started circling around the parking lot. Now I was honestly a little nervous at this point cause I realized I wasn't really sure how I was going to react if he got out. Now I am pretty sure I could have handled him in a fist fight but I as usual was carrying my Kahr 45. With that said if he had confronted me what would you guys suggest be the best way to handle the situation?

2. Remove Ads

Try and dissolve an already escalated situation, keep an eye on his hands and try to keep a distance. Whatever you did seemed to have worked without further incident. If it would have gone further I'd get the wife to get on the phone and send the plate # to LE.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distance is your friend. If he's circling around in his car, slide between cars into next aisle or two. He'd most likely loose his interest if he can't get back to you easily.
    oneshot, OldVet, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Distance is your friend. If he's circling around in his car, slide between cars into next aisle or two. He'd most likely loose his interest if he can't get back to you easily.

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then politely ask wife to keep her gestures to her self.

Even though she was within her rights to do something as innocent as that, as indicated by the idiots(the other guy) reaction, people, are nuts.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

GH
    That goes to prove that road rage can occur even in a parking lot.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    As much as you (really) and any of us would just love to have our testosterone going at high capacity and have this cretin come up to us so we can shove a 45 down his throat and watch him piss in his pants, being CC really means swallowing our base instincts and do everything including acting like a wuss, if that is what it takes, to defuse the situation, as said in above replies. Imminent danger is still the key precursor and if he were to get out of his car with a weapon of any kind and you really cannot avoid the confrontation being with your wife and children, you have now moved into the arena of protecting yourself and are within seconds of doing so--permanently. I just got mad reading your thread but having that CC moves your responsible actions way up the responsibility scale beyond testosterone base instincts.

My wife knows better than to do that...to anyone else but me.

Distance is your friend...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not sure?

It's the one thing I don't like about CC... You have to be civil and non-confrontational with AH's. I agree with the responses above...Unfortunately and at the same time thankfully (to avoid having to explain to LEOs why the use of deadly force) the best course of action is avoidance.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Re: Not sure?

I'm not saying anything about you all that have said otherwise, we all have different relationships. But, I would never tell my wife to stifle her opinion, or reaction to something - 12 years and counting without serious confrontation. Had a few close calls, but she often reacts in a way that doesn't result in escalating an incident.

She strongly supports the fact that I CC, I wouldn't want to change who she is because of it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My wife knows better than to do that...to anyone else but me.

Distance is your friend...
    Smart lady--very smart lady. My final comment is "yes dear"--solves all my problems on that front.
    GH likes this.

I haven't been carrying for long and I know I that I need to curb my instinct to tell people what I really think of them, but this is the one area I really struggle not throwing my hands up and spouting some expletives. I don't know what it is about parking lots that makes people's IQ drop 40 points. Whether it be a moron walking own the middle of the isle, face planted firmly in their smartphone screen, a mother that lets her kids run around the lot like its a playground, or some idiot that decides to back out of his spot without looking, if you tap your horn at them or say anything to them they look at you like you are the jerk. I have to consciously remind myself not to escalate this with my thoughts on their abilities as a human being. It is just something, especially us new carriers, need to remember. And my wife, who carries as well, often reminds me of this when she sees me ready my fist for a good "why I outta" shaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    I haven't been carrying for long and I know I that I need to curb my instinct to tell people what I really think of them, but this is the one area I really struggle not throwing my hands up and spouting some expletives. I don't know what it is about parking lots that makes people's IQ drop 40 points. Whether it be a moron walking own the middle of the isle, face planted firmly in their smartphone screen, a mother that lets her kids run around the lot like its a playground, or some idiot that decides to back out of his spot without looking, if you tap your horn at them or say anything to them they look at you like you are the jerk. I have to consciously remind myself not to escalate this with my thoughts on their abilities as a human being. It is just something, especially us new carriers, need to remember. And my wife, who carries as well, often reminds me of this when she sees me ready my fist for a good "why I outta" shaking.
    30% of all vehicle accidents take place in PARKING LOTS. This is one the good reasons that cause me to park in a "pull-through" space whenever I can. Then, I can slowly exit, without backing up and doing the required maneuvers.

Separately, I get concerned whenever "traveling companions" (whether wives, girlfriends, or whatever) have a tendency to respond in a manner that someone may see as provocative. Now, in the OP's scenario, I quite agree that being nearly run down by someone in a vehicle could prompt a dramatic response.---But, when we are carrying, it might be worthwhile to spend a little time with such people (if you are OK informing them that you are carrying) and advise them about not responding in a manner that makes a "crazy" (already causing a problem) totally flip out.

I think that I probably would have looked for a bench to sit down on while the offending driver left the area or cooled down. If he persisted in circling and threatening, I definitely would have made a 911 call.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.

Links