Permit but no carry?

Permit but no carry?

This is a discussion on Permit but no carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know lots of guys here in town. Young guys, got a little money or living large off of daddy's money. Got the fishing boats, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Permit but no carry?

I know lots of guys here in town. Young guys, got a little money or living large off of daddy's money. Got the fishing boats, take the vacations, got the pretty young wife, kids in the private school. Real sportsmen. Scuba diving out at the oil rigs, fishing tournements, duck hunters/deer hunters.

Got the Mississippi firearms permit. Mississippi is a "shall issue" state; no training required, just prove you haven't been convicted of felony or domestic violence; no admission to rehab or mental care facillity.

120 days later, you have a CCW permit.

Why in the world would you do this and not carry. Do you think the Glock in the console or the glove is going to protect you? Is it something you brag about to your friends "I got the Glock with the laser"? Does telling a BG that information save your life? Does having a big gun make you feel like a big man? Are we overcompensating for some minimal appendage? Is it not what you have but how much you spent?

My typical carry guns are .380 and .38 +P. I know, marginal man-stoppers, but they are handy and concealable. The weapons I train with are the ones I'll have when the time comes to defend. And I'll have them on person.

A $1500 1911 with custom grips will probably look just as good in the casket as it does in the glove compartment.

Don't you agree?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I myself would not try to continue to rob you if out came a .380. That's plenty of gun to keep me at bay. What kind of idiot would say, "Pshaw! I don't mind a .38" hole through my liver/heart/lung/skull"?!

I don't have an answer for you about the privileged dudes you're talking about, who have a CCW license but then don't bother carrying. I guess like most things that wealthy people get, once obtained, they quickly lose their luster and then it's on to the new toy!

Good point!

I'm just an average Joe Lunchbucket trying to hang on to what I got, including my life.

I guess it's all about the ego.

Note to dudes with money... ego trips are not tax deductible.

Why in the world would you do this and not carry.
    Frankly, I think a lot of people get permits but don't realize how much "work" it is to carry. It takes forethought and planning to outfit with the right holsters and clothing; then execute your daily plan with carry in mind.

Personally, I find it to be a frustrating chore sometimes. Take today for example. Stop by the Post Office to send some Certified Mail, leave gun with wife in car. Then on to posted medical center; drop wife off, keep her gun in car while she runs in to pick up some of my medical records. Then on to Veterans Affairs clinic, where you can't even have firearms in the parking lot; park outside the lot in street parking, leave pistol with wife and run papers in. It is downright tempting to just leave the gun at home and go with the flow through la la land.

I stay within the law. I carry discreetly in spite of open carry being legal here. Like I said, sometimes it would be very easy to choose the easy way out. But then, I think of what I'd feel like in a spot where I need to be armed and the Glock is out in the car or back at the house....arrrggghhh. My carry practices were getting a bit lazy early in the year, so I took myself to task--I survived Vietnam and cancer for the past six years and I'm not about to go down easily at the hands of some sleazeball who would kill me for a teensy bag of meth; so on the Fourth of July I made a pledge to always carry when it's legal, and sometimes stretch that a bit if needed. So I put in the effort every day for me and my wife and will not go down helpless.

Whoops, my soapbox just slipped, gotta get down before I hurt myself...
    Last edited by JimmyC4; October 14th, 2006 at 12:18 AM.

Well as far as the stand point of getting a CCW and not using it to its fullest. That is up to the permit holder. I myself, would carry on my person whenever I could. That is the real purpose for CCW's. As far as guns go. You get what you pay for. It is all in someones preference on what caliber, brand, and action they want. Most CCW holders buy what they are comfortable with shooting and carrying.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Well put Jimmy
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Different people have different amounts of money that they are able to spend on their personal firearms.

People should be able to spend whatever they can afford & buy whatever firearm they want to own.

They should practice with it and learn to shoot it well.
    That would be no matter what firearm they own...expensive or not so expensive.

I honestly don't think appendage size has anything to do with it.
    It seems like in America folks always want the biggest - the best - & the latest...which is fine with me if they can afford it.

I can guarantee you that if you won big in the lottery you wouldn't run down to the gun shop & buy a Rossi revolver.
    You would be looking at those $3,000 Custom Colts.

Sounds kinda like getting a drivers license and not driving - what's the point!?! When I decided to get my permit, I knew I'd be carrying whenever and wherever legally premitted. Sorry to say that recently my neighborhood has turned to trash and the need for a CCW is vital. My Wife and I are 60 years old, our home is paid for, and at our age moving and buying a new home is not an option.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I guess there may be some that would get the permit just so it would be easier to purchase a weapon when they wanted, knowing that some states connect the permits to NCIC.

Then if they go "Clubbing" I would suppose they couldn't carry there. If their primary concern is car jacking, leaving a pistol in the center consol makes sense.

It's like anything, it's personal choice, whether or not we aggree with it.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Just so you know, I have had my CCW for a few weeks now.
    I have carried a total of 1 time. There are a few factors fro this, 1 being that my choice of a carry weapon was not as good as I would have first thought.
    My XD40 service is just a bit too big to pack around.
    Second is me. I am working on losing some weight to make it easier to carry.
    I do have it in my truck almost all the time.
    I have shown my card to a LEO though, had a lady run a stop sign and I nailed her. When the Sherriff showed up I put it with my info because I was not sure if it would come up on his info or not.

So there are alot of reasons both to carry and not too.
    When I find the best way to pack the weapon I have I will more

Chris

I acquired the carry license for, among other things, to protect my butt during transport and handling of the guns. I had waited 2yrs until I gained competency and had come to an understanding on all of the basic questions of self-defense, use of lethal force, etc. Seemed like the right approach: kept me out of hot water; avoid risk to others during my training term; and kept me focused on why I was/wasn't doing this. Once qualified and competent, concealed carry every day.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 14th, 2006 at 08:29 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    JimmyC has it nailed.

I am what I call a dedicated carrier - it is somewhat all or nothing - apart from where illegality limits me, which is fortunately not often. I choose all - and equate this to the spare tire in vehicle - might not be needed at all but you never will know when - so why leave it at home

These super privelaged types are in a league of their own and exist on bragging rights often - leave them to find out maybe the hard way.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ditto... JimmyC has it nailed.

Carring requires planing to go through your day. What do you do with your guns when? becomes a common question.

My post office solution is to go to a sub post office at another business that is not posted and no postal emplyees.

I generally carry two guns so some situations one carry method might not work but pocket carry does. So, the primary might get locked up but the BUG goes with.

So far it is working great and meets my needs. Now if the wife had a permit I could do like JimmyC and his wife.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I know my Dad did this way before he ever owned a pistol;His reasoning was I got it now just in case the laws ever change ! Don't really know as I was still in the service at the time
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

I don't understand the poster's angst about some people having more money and toys than he does. We all do the best with what we've been given. Some start with more, some with less. Be happy with who you are. If you can't afford a large frame, large caliber handgun, buy it used. And not every gun is purchased with carry in mind. You have to be really committed to carry a full size 1911; most choose a smaller package.

I know plenty of people (men and women, well healed and not) who have permits but almost never carry, or just keep one concealed in the car. That's their choice. Let's not judge everone else by our own yardstick.

As far as caliber goes, the bigger the better, but even smaller caliber guns will serve as a serious deterent to a BG, even if they don't offer much actual stopping power; I'm going out today to buy a .32 cal Beretta Tomcat for my wife. After we took handgun training together, I went right out and got my permit; she never did. I hope having her own little gun will encourage her to go apply for her permit. I know those bullets don't have the stopping power of a .45 ACP, but she would be shocked at the recoil of a larger round and would never train.

At the same time, I'm buying a .40 cal Glock 23 with nightsights for myself and plan to equip. it with lasergrips, upgrading from my 9 mm Kel-Tec, whose trigger is just impossible for double taps. I don't feel like I'm bragging about my wealth; I've saved over several months to make these purchases.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links