What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence

This is a discussion on What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Clark County, NV has a School Police Agency which are located on the school sites as well as Las Vegas Metro Sheriffs which supplement the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Clark County, NV has a School Police Agency which are located on the school sites as well as Las Vegas Metro Sheriffs which supplement the School Police as needed!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

Well, the high school my daughter attends had a gun "threat", so the school had the police come investigate while the kids remained in school.

Then they sent a patronizing e-mail to the parents that they were confident the children were never in any danger.

So in other words, they are doing nothing to keep the kids safe, and probably endangering them more had there been an actual shooter.

My school just buys bigger guns, also the Principal and Teacher are armed and trained. Did I mention we home school?

Seriously though, from what I remember, when my kids were in McKinney schools, people already had to be buzzed in (at least at the elementary school in my subdivision) and needed to have an appointment. As far as I know that is the main point of security, other than all entrances are locked so they are exit only.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Here in Boone County, Kentucky the schools have controlled-access vestibules, and the middle- and high-schools have dedicated resource officers; uniformed deputies, same person every day, they even drive patrol cars to work. I'd like to see a resource officer in the elementary schools also. Obviously the kids aren't much of a threat, but spouses, angry parents, terrorists, lunatics, etc. obviously are.

My High School keeps all of the doors locked except for the front doors. They also have a uniformed police officer at the school, much like EdMooberry was saying. The officer was extremely well liked by the students, she was super friendly and outgoing. She got demoted while I went there for helping with a prank to ask someone to prom though. IIRC, the student got called down to the office, she said she searched his car and found this bag of cocaine (bag of flour) and she was going to give the student two options, he could be arrested, or go to prom with so-and-so.

While I was going there, they also installed over 80 security cameras that were accessible to the principal, vice principal, etc. from their phones and PDAs.

One guy also had a job of just watching for people skipping (known as skipper-dude), he walked/drove around the campus parking lots looking for people and making sure they were where they were supposed to be.

We had a few active shooter drills/threats while I was there (someone saying someone brought a gun, etc.) Every teacher gets all of their students into their classroom, they lock the door and stay away from the windows. My construction teacher had a discussion with us that if there was an an active shooter, we weren't going to follow that plan. There's back doors heading out of the construction classroom, we would all hop in our trucks and haul a** out of there.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

PM
    SRO did not work in CO when the High School was shoot up; do not feel that my son is all the safe with SRO Queen in house. I think until the GFZ signs are removed and CC allowed the problem will not be fixed. I will say that guns will not solve the problem; FEAR of being SHOT might. If we are "buzzing people in. make sure that the glass can not be shot out.

PM
    Oh, yeah. The plan is; lock the class room; move into a target group, remembered students that prayer as well as guns are banned in schools; call 911 and hope they get there before we have more dead than the last place. No offense or disrespect intended to Newtown victims or victims of mass killers elsewhere.

Exclamation School employees with CWP be commissioned Constables, and carry.

Many, Many employees in schools - teachers, custodians, etc - have asked that it be established
    (1) those employees who want to complete the requirements for a concealed weapons permit are assisted in finding instructors are volunteers assigned to the school
    (2) commission each as a Constable
    (3) carry their weapon everyday - if you are a GOOD CWP carrier, no one sees it, and certainly cannot get it from you surreptitiously
    (4) let it be Known ... signs on the doors, articles in the paper, etc. There is a world of ready trained people already there - veterans.

For the record:
    I am a retired teacher, 37years. I am also well over 60yrs.
    Also served as Chief Petty Officer in the Navy (so long ago I have met Master Chief Petty Officers who were not born, when I became a Chief).
    Everyday when I leave my home my pistol is right with me.

Many of my women friends also legally carry. They live alone, park in dark lots, and walk to elderly housing developments. The oldest I know is a 83yrs this year. She shoots regularly around 950 out of 1000 score. Several of us were at a formal dinner and the conversation wandered to the problem of finding evening purses (beaded or silk) their weapon would fit in, with reading glasses, wallet,... One lamented several times, she is a Volunteering Grandma at the parochial and wished she could carry her weapon to protect the children. At the first of the month the kids bring cash to buy a month-long mealticket. They are walking targets for street thugs.

Actually, I messed up one day - I am SO accustomed to the feel of carrying, it is always "there", but not top item in my thoughts - I had car trouble. A local officer stopped, off-duty, on his way home, to help the obviously stranded two old ladies. He was wonderful, calling the right people, etc, As the emergency passed, my brain kicked in. I figured out I had been with (by then) two uniformed police officers, and failed to show them my CWP, definitely was carrying. I got my CWP, went over to the two men, and abashedly holding it up, said "I'm sorry." They smiled, and one said "Thank you, Ma'am, but you don't have to tell us unless the weapon is on your person." I told them that WAS the case. Both looked at each other, then me, smiled and assured me they had already visually checked both us women carefully and were sure I did not have a weapon. I suggested they look again. (I had on a sleeveless, jersey knit, black, one piece dress). Finally, they said, if it weren't in too personal a spot, would I take it out, showing them where it had been for about an hour with them. I did. BOTH SAID THEY WOULD NOT HAVE GUESSED. It was tucked into a carrier, in my bra, under my right arm, sort of in my arm pit.

As of today no one has guessed where it rides. MY POINT IS: it is perfectly easy for even old lady teachers to carry a weapon so concealed it is NOT going to upset any child. And at the opening of school they would have been told about the protection they had, NOT identifying the teachers.

In Israel, teachers carry combat arms rifles on a shoulder strap. American teachers have a sign for visitors to check in.

A person does not go into teaching or the money, for the fame, but for the children to be better prepared for life. If a teacher cannot abide the idea of carrying a weapon, they would not have to. But structure laws so those of us who are veterans, hunters, target shooters, and ARE capable and comfortable carry.

Many would see it as another way of serving our children.

I know there are many dissenters to this idea. I have already taken a lot of guff and commentaries on my values. Some feel people with a "gun" mind would never be a teacher. Teachers would not do that. Come talk to us retired teachers about the differences inside schools today, as against when we started years ago. It is a different world in schools and out of schools.

In my last year in public school I noticed one young man scooting the carry pack of the student in front of him back to himself. Then it was scooted over slowly and quietly to another row. And moved until it was all but in my usual "walking path" where I could look down at two desks as I passed. I lent over and picked it up to move it out of my way --- and to find out what the deal was. It was unzipped and I could see in it. There was a hunting knife and an automatic weapon. I blinked. I put the bag up on a cabinet where the owner could not get to it. Wrote a note on a "potty pass" and sent a young lady to the office. Soon we were all joined by the resource officer and the principal. The children were not surprized.
    They had moved through the hall to the third class. Several of them had worked to move that bag away from the kid in the first two classes, returning it. When asked why? did they wait until they got to me to obviously turn the kid in, it was a simple answer --- They knew from conversations with me I went target shooting. I would know what to do. I would take care of it and no one would get hurt.

Students expect we will take care of them. Mpre and more of their "home training" is done by teachers. Protecting them is a natural extension.
    brocktice, Fitch, Jaybm and 3 others like this.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    The high school our kids went to/go to has three city cops on duty all the time. I went to high school in a little berg in Upper Michigan called Mancelona. Back then we had Coach. He would bust your _ _ _ if you got outta line. Glad I went to school when I did.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

I know since my son started Kindergarden which was 3 years ago we have always had an armed deputy sheriff on premisis. As a matter of fact all the schools in the county have armed sheriff's deputies. Each school in the county also offers the Eddie the Eagle program on a voluntary basis.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    She got demoted while I went there for helping with a prank to ask someone to prom though. IIRC, the student got called down to the office, she said she searched his car and found this bag of cocaine (bag of flour) and she was going to give the student two options, he could be arrested, or go to prom with so-and-so.
    Man, that's hilarious. Too bad someone didn't have a sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I don't know. I do know a school board member. I'll ask him. But I suspect they are trying real hard to make an ostridge with it's head in the sand appear rational.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

We are relying on our force-fields to protect us once we go into lock down. Any actual measures to ensure our safety would startle the sheep.

I resent this lack of action as I am a parent and a teacher. I would appreciate actual steps to defeat actual criminals. We rely on locked exterior doors, locked classroom doors (LOCKDOWN!), and the hope that no gunman will both A) Disrepect the gun buster sign on the door and B) realize that his firearm can shoot through the glass. Lots of other stuff is being discussed, which means they are going to nod a lot until people settle down, but ultimately do nothing.

Distinguished Member
    The town in which I live has an LEO in each school whenever school is in session.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

My local school locks the top to bottom glass doors. The teachers unions are throwing absolute hissy fits over the possibility of any teacher or administrator carrying a gun in a school.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links