What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence

This is a discussion on What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have School Officers (are police officers working at the schools) who are prevalent, and armed. They wear different clothes and not all of the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence

We have School Officers (are police officers working at the schools) who are prevalent, and armed. They wear different clothes and not all of the "gear', but one thing they do have ... and keep on them, is their guns. They are also at EVERY school event.

We had a student go into a school several years back .... later 1980's, and shoot a Principal (killed), and some teachers and students. My son and daughter were attending there. They (the schools) were all paranoid and ...... well, extremely sensitive about anyone even saying "gun" .... etc. It was beyond "absurd". Then, some Administrators were replaced (good for all of the schools ... believe me) , and took a look at having police officers at the schools. The parents liked it, the kids liked it, and it worked well.

So, they made it permanent. In the two High Schools of about 700 students in each, there are 3 armed SO's at each school. Then it varies from there depending upon size of the school and number of students. Their # 1 priority has always been .... to protect the students.

Also... only "one" of the schools is posted with the approved AG signage, so in all of the others..... any CCL person can legally carry in the schools. They cannot legally "post" school grounds.

"Costs" .... no one cares, we pay it.... if the school board tried to eliminate it, I'm sure the next election they would all be voted out.... or recalled before that.
    Doghandler likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Most of the schools in this area either have or share a School Resource Officer.
    Same here. I expect we will be seeing a move to at least one officer per school at all times.

nothing... As much as I disagree most school staff I know think gun control is the answer.. :(.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    "What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence?"

post "no guns allowed" signs.
    jrclen likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

It seems that the going response is "nothing, really, that will help." The question, then, is clear. What are YOU doing? How many school board members have you called in your district to insist that the students be kept safe? How many have you educated? I'm going to begin my campaign in earnest after the first of the year (let them get all the knee-jerking out of their system). Please consider doing the same. Teachers are alone in the trenches out there. We need more than a locked door and hope. I have a plan, involving flying text books, stacked desks on an outswing door, and a sledge hammer and or tactical pen.

I have my doubts, but it beats hiding under my desk.

BTW - resource officers are nice and all, but does anyone know who was the first to die at Columbine? Anyone? Yep, the resource officer. He's only a logicistical issue to overcome - as in we have to find him, kill him first, and commence the attack. CC weapons place a lot of doubt onto a plan and thus harden the target. One resource officer is easily overcome by a surprise attack. One resource officer, and who the heck knows how many teachers, which ones, where, etc? That's tougher to game plan, isn't it?
    jrclen likes this.

Sorry to say our school board members have already heard from the only voices they pay any attention to - the teachers unions.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

They are not elected by the teacher's unions. I say that as a union teacher.
    Hopyard likes this.

I don't have any school age kids but if I did they would be Home School.
    jrclen and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakor View Post
    They are not elected by the teacher's unions. I say that as a union teacher.
    No of course not. But they are controlled by the teachers unions. At least they are in my area. Kowtowing to the union keeps the peace, and I can't remember the last time an incumbent was challenged at the ballot box. And the official union position is radically anti gun.
    Member - NRA
    John

Too bad nobody who has their priorities straight has the courage to run for the office. As for the official union position, I just can't fathom it. In essence, they want to be targets. Stupid.

I agree with you Jakor. And in our rural community and small town, some of our teachers are sportsmen, gun owners, and capable shooters. And concealed carry permit holders as well.
    Member - NRA
    John

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Our President has taken preemptive measures. He sends his children to school with armed guards payed for with federal tax dollars. Guns are the answer to protecting his kids, but yours aren't good enough for armed protection.
    1MoreGoodGuy and jrclen like this.

Schools aren't doing enough to keep the kids safe and they most certainly aren't doing enough to properly educate the children.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

The absolute, ugly reality of it is this. You can make your kids safer by buckling them up with a seatbelt on the way to school. It was before, and still is, the most dangerous thing my kids do each day. The odds are astronomically low that they will be involved in a school shooting. It's just that the images it evokes are so horrific, not that it's the most dangerous thing for kids.

Until Christmas break our elementary schools had officers around at drop off and pick up, maybe occasionally during the day. Middle School and High School have SRO's. I think they are locking the doors more.

I'd like to see our CC laws addressed concerning school grounds. We will see. We may be in the best position in recent memory for that in NC. But it's no slam dunk.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My county school district, Palm Beach County Florida , is the 13th largest in the US with over 171,500 students, 12,400 teachers, a staff of just over 21,000 and an annual budget of $2.5 billion. The school district covers a land area close to 2,400 sq. miles or the size of the state of Delaware. We also have a school police department that was established in 1972 consisting of over 150 sworn police officers. The majority of the officers are assigned full time to the majority of schools and the remaining schools have officers assigned part time. The District has an elected 7 member School Advisory Board that has been very proactive over the years and not reactive as most school districts throughout the US have been and take action only after a major incident has occurred. We have safe schools and are glad to pay the added costs to have our children educated without the fear of violence within the schools.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links