What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence

This is a discussion on What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen lots of threads on what can schools do,arm teacher and so forth. But what are schools in your area actually doing. Was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: What are your local schools doing to prevent gun violence

I have seen lots of threads on what can schools do,arm teacher and so forth. But what are schools in your area actually doing.
    Was talking to a guy i work with who's wife is a elementary school teacher. He told me they are installing an upgraded locks and all people will have to be buzzed in to school. I know this is not a fix all solution but is better than just being able to walk in. He also said that they have drills to prepare the children for such event and the drills have been inplace for quite a while.
    We also discussed the concealed carry aspect. He was under the impression that a gun would be in classroom in lock box or something similar. So i explained that any gun in a classroom would have to be on a person in pocket or iwb holster. And he was all for it didnt really suprise me. I am in small town iowa and is a very pro gun area.

So what are your schools doing?

2. Remove Ads

My school closed the doors for two weeks for Christmas. That'll lower the violence rate, I guarantee.
    rugergunner and brocktice like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    We have a long standing policy of parents raising their children with guns in the home (way over half of households around here). It involves safety classes, taking children hunting, and spending time with children appreciating our natural resources. The final step is punishing kids when they display bad behavior instead of telling them they're special and trusting they'll figure things out on their own.

It's purely voluntary and seems to be working so far.

I posted this in another thread but ...

One county school district will have off duty Sheriff's deputies at all ten of their elementary schools when the kids
    return from their break. School district is paying the tab and did I mention "armed". Other districts are expected to
    follow suit. Our middle and high schools already have officers assigned. The Sheriff is fully supported of this saying
    most deputies have "second" jobs now.

Oh, in case you're wondering ... Spartanburg Cty Sheriff Wright is that guy that went public advising civilians, especially
    women,to get their CWP , arm themself and learn how to use the firearm. Saying respond time may be too late to prevent
    a rape.
    surefire7, Fitch and WISki like this.

I am also in small town Iowa, and it's fairly pro gun around here as well.

It was said that there are steps being taken, but those steps are not available to the public. OK by me.

Sounds like you got a great sheriff there.

They are basically just sitting on their butts until something else happens....then they will continue to sit on their butts. I say arm the teachers and allow CC in schools because right now we are just keeping the good guys out. The bad guys don't care and do whatever they want.
    Last edited by ddclancy; December 24th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

I should have mentioned there is a proposition pending to do just that ddclancy. Will be voted on next session.
    ddclancy and daddysgirl like this.

My high school had an armed plain clothes police officer on duty every day while school was in session. Not only was it a fantastic safety measure, but all of the students got along with the two officers we had during my attendance. I feel this led to a very positive image for the local police from the kids. And it also gave the department an inside track to the regular "troublemakers" in the shool.

I think all schools need to take a very serious look at getting an armed guard on the property.
    Timkid and thephanatik like this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Here in Portland Tennessee, population 8000, my daughter's elementary school, police patrols are more frequent, doors are as secure as possible.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    They have had armed officers on school grounds here since the early 70s. mostly Jr High and up but the elementary schools shared an officer with two other schools, It will be interesting to see if they post an officer at each school now. DR

I do know is in Collier County Florida (Naples) all schools have a youth relations deputy who is employed by the sheriffs dept and is at the school everyday it is open

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    It has been a little publicized fact here in Florida that if you want a good education for your child, you send he/she to a private or parochial school. Public education here is underfunded, over-crowded and demographically punished. Teachers salaries are a joke which unfortunately reflects on the quality of education. Remember that Florida is, or at least has been, a state to retire to. Retirees usually have no school aged children and don't relish the idea of paying taxes to support education. Whenever there is a budget crisis, public education funds are threatened. My guess is they will install pay phones so someone with the correct change can call the police if TSHTF.

Our School Districts and Board of Education is simply doing nothing. That's generally what they do best, nothing.

Well I may have spoken too soon, they are "discussing" some things but in the end they will resist all effort to have trained people armed with a firearm inside of any school. I just don't see that happening where I live.

Their lack of response or even considering the possibility of armed personel will no doubt be very attractive for some deranged killer.

Wayne Co. had a "threat" of a shooting but it was on social media and steps were taken to get the little bugger before we made the national news. If authorities had not known via that, we may have been next.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Most of the schools in this area either have or share a School Resource Officer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links