Carry overkill - Page 2

Carry overkill

This is a discussion on Carry overkill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Xoolo! Both being Idahoans, (Boise, Nampa area)we are on same page w not much happening, but seeing some other posts on subject I'm more ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Carry overkill

Hey Xoolo! Both being Idahoans, (Boise, Nampa area)we are on same page w not much happening, but seeing some other posts on subject I'm more "aware" of whats going on around me, (if its only jackrabbits, oh well) Seriously, we haven't seen much like in states like California or the east, but gangs and home invasions have popped up from time to time. All it would take for me to pack 24/7 is a violent crime nearby

Administrator
    I agree with the OP, with the exception of keeping a gun in a vehicle. That's just irresponsible.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I live out where the cows and the corn use to live. It isn't as country as it use to be but is still mostly houses. We don't tend to see crime out here but do in the big cities near us. I carry everyday anywhere I can. It isn't that I am expecting anything to happen. It is that I know something can happen anytime at any place. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. I know there are quite a few who carry more than one firearm at a time. Makes them feel safer? Makes them feel more prepared? I don't really know the reason I only know for me one is all I can conceal comfortably.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I've had more "encounters" in the sticks than in town. That's where no one will hear you scream and the cops really are a long ways away - and bad guys know it. Lots of meth heads in the sticks, avoiding police presence.
    My neighborhood isn't nice, but its close to several schools and smack dab on the police's radar. There's not much trouble at home except to those who "invite" it in - drugs or poor choices in friends, etc.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I only carry one gun because I only own one. Even if I had more I would probably feel that one is sufficient. I would only buy more so that my wife at home had one while I had mine out. I also live in a rural area, but we definitely have crime here (tweakers mostly). Our police response time is measured in 15 minute increments here, and I can't rely on anyone else for protection for my family, so I carry a fairly high percentage of the time.

Break-ins are common here, and just this past year we had a female lunatic shoot up the local supermarket trying to kill as many men as she could. She succeeded with one of the men she shot.

It took many years for me to decide to carry a firearm, but I finally realized that every other form of protection we have in our society at this point is of a type that only responds "after the fact". I guess I'll concur somewhat with the NRA that the best IMMEDIATE response to a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. It may not always be the BEST response, but it's the best IMMEDIATE response.

And yes, if I was in a public mass shooting scenario I think I would try to stop it. I'm not a cop and not pretending to be one, but IF there was a shot I could take I would take it. I can't see how anyone would want to hide/escape and let others die when there is the possibility they could have stopped it. Who knows, maybe if that really happened I would chicken out and go hide. I can't say since I've never been in that situation. But my intent sitting here behind my computer in my warm, quiet den is that I would stop it if I could.

You can certainly carry or not as it suits you, and would agree that more than one gun is not for me. Each person's knowledge and perception of potential threats in their daily lives will vary, though. I don't think that rural Idaho is probably representative of very many of the daily experiences of folks on these sites.

I hope you will never need the gun under the seat, just like I hope I will never need the one on my hip.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy!

Carry overkill

Welcome to the forum... I must say I am not too surprised to see posts like this right out of the gate from new members... You are either:
    1. A troll
    2. A concerned CCLH that wants every CCLH not o be burdened with so many guns on them
    3. A "Call Of Duty" gamer that thinks all CCLHs have primary, secondary, and a BUG = "overkill" in the game.
    4. A CCLH who is trying to justify carrying more than one gun.

Which ever you are... The main purpose of carrying is to defend yourself and if you feel that carrying a Colt AR15 is the way to go with a MP5 as your back up then go for it.

I personally only carry one, but it varies from a .380 to a .45 not because of added power but because either I want have my Kimber or I want to have a small hard to see well concealed cute little gun..

I wish I could conceal my AR15... That would be just cool! (Not that I am expecting to use it, it would be just be cool!)

In all seriousness... You don't know when you are going to be in a situation where you will need to defend yourself... I say you it's better to be prepared for anything, including one of your guns jamming up!
    carracer likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I only carry one gun, but I always carry one.
    What or how many others carry is of no concern to me.

Stuff can happen at any time and at any place.
    Hopefully in my lifetime, I won't ever have that bad experience.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Carry one gun.

Or carry several. It's up to you.

You are the guy that has to pack all that, so you call it.

Knew a guy in Montana that carried a 1911 on the belt, a j frame on the ankle, a Mustang in his pocket, and reloads for all. Way I saw it, if he wanted to carry all that, it wasn't my business.
    sensei2 likes this.

Carry overkill

I live in a rural area too. Two houses nearby have been broken into and someone tried to get into my house one day while I was home with the kids in the last couple years. That was my wake up call I needed a gun and in the safe may not be close enough. You never know when or where, I think there's a difference between prepared and paranoid.

Having a gun on his hip and being a better shot than the bad guy saved my fil and mil once. That's enough for me. Hope I never need it, but I've got it on me just in case.
    daddysgirl and dawei like this.

Sounds reasonable to me. Lots of things higher on the priority list than type and caliber. The more you work your revolver AND pistol skills with dry fire and live exercises you realize just how much more relies on the indian and not the arrow. It's more important that you carry period.
    Last edited by GeorgiaShooter; December 25th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth33 View Post
    Hey Xoolo! Both being Idahoans, (Boise, Nampa area)we are on same page w not much happening, but seeing some other posts on subject I'm more "aware" of whats going on around me, (if its only jackrabbits, oh well) Seriously, we haven't seen much like in states like California or the east, but gangs and home invasions have popped up from time to time. All it would take for me to pack 24/7 is a violent crime nearby
    Dr Petit probably had much the same line of thought; Sandy Hook was "an idealic little community where everyone knew everyone else"; bet someone wishes they had more than a 5 shot snubby at hand.

I carry a Para-Ordnance P14 (fat body 1911 .45) every day with 2 mags.

For you Idaho boys, no such thing as pot "farmers" in your area??

With all of the incidents over the past 10 years it's not exactly easy to just leave it in the car or something. Anything can happen at any time and for no apparent reason.

You ever forget something and that's the one time you need it?

With Virginia Tech, Columbine, A local shooting, Connecticut shooting, the 2 firemen being shot at and many many more we just can't afford to not carry. Once I get mine I will have it everywhere I am allowed to have it. Although I will be only carrying one and it will only probably only be a .380 or 9mm I hope it will always be brought it and didn't need it as opposed to forgot it and needed it.
    Guns being considered: S&W Bodyguard 380, S&W M&P9C, S&W M&P Shield 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Like many others here I wish you welcome. Most carry according to the potential of threat level they are most likely to encounter. There are different levels of threat based on a multitude of circumstances. A person in a metropolitan city may have a different threat level from someone 50 miles from the nearest town. A banker may have a different threat level than an auto mechanic. Their lives are just as imortant but the level of threat is different. What some call overkill someone else may call not enough. I carried what I would consider overkill once but that was when I was carrying $10,000 in cash to buy a truck. I carried a 4" 6 shot 357 Magnum, 15 shot 9MM pistol, and a neck knife plus spare ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Dr Petit probably had much the same line of thought; Sandy Hook was "an idealic little community where everyone knew everyone else"; bet someone wishes they had more than a 5 shot snubby at hand.

I carry a Para-Ordnance P14 (fat body 1911 .45) every day with 2 mags.

For you Idaho boys, no such thing as pot "farmers" in your area??
    Oh yes, and alot more goes on around here then "most" people know are care to know... really comes down to SA
    It has only been a 5 or so years that the city acknowledged gang activity.. It is just a "po-dunk" town after all..
    carracer likes this.

Yeah, I agree. I think some go overboard on it to the point the gun is the only thing on their minds 24/7, and, it becomes an obession to the point it dictates their life,where they go ,what they wear, ect,ect.

As to capacity and caliber, pretty much the same thing. But, its a free country and I support their choices, confident in the fact that either their backs will give out, or common sense will catch up to them one way or another.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links