Carry overkill - Page 3

Carry overkill

This is a discussion on Carry overkill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always carry outside my home, and it isn't far away from me now. I switched to a smaller caliber recently in order to carry ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Carry overkill

I always carry outside my home, and it isn't far away from me now. I switched to a smaller caliber recently in order to carry more rounds, with a MUCH more accurate sidearm.

Welcome

Everybody has an opionion. I respect yours and ask for the same in return. In my short time on this forum I have noticed more respect than in others I have be on.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

If you think that most of us are paranoid than why don't you stop carrying your weapons in your truck? After all, you aren't trained to handle public situations are you? You stated that you have read where a lot of situations where defensive carry has been a lifesaver but you think that some take it to far. Why don't you mention that to all those that recently have been victims in Mall Shootings, Theater shootings and School Shootings? What exactly are you talking about in your statement sir? Who is taking it to far, the Law Abiding Citizen that wants to protect themselves?

Unless I am not understanding your statements its comments like this that remind me of the Anti-Gunners and all their Anti Gun rhetoric in the Media.

Welcome from Alabama.

Like you, I often wonder how folks carry more than one gun on a regular basis. And I wonder why.

But as has been pointed out already, I respect their right to do so. Just don't see the need in my situation.

Heck, I don't carry all the time as it is, but as I find myself getting older (and possibly being perceived as a softer target) and with the world in which we live getting more and more whacked out, I find myself carrying a whole lot more than I used to.

Enjoy the forum. Good folks here.

VIP Member
    I lived in SW OK when I got my first permit. Small town, and most violence was confined to specific neighborhoods. I carried some, but not all the time. Since then I moved to the cesspool called Richmond VA. Shootings on a daily basis, and not isolated to certain areas. I now carry everyday, all day. You do what you feel is needed for your and your families safety.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am with you on this. The first thing in any conflict is to end it with the least amount of casualty. Run, hide, call the authorities. My gun is a last ditch resource in protecting myself. If I ever walk into an extended gun battle, I must really bestupid and don't need to be walking around without a chaperone.

CJM
    I carry a Smith & Wesson SD9VE now. 17 total Gold Dots on board and 16 more in a spare mag. I'm not past or present LE, but back when I carried a Glock 23 I had to draw my gun on someone who intended to do me harm and even though no shots were fired, the thought of wishing I had a smaller gun with less rounds on board never crossed my mind. Oh yeah, this was out in the sticks too, not in some inner city ghetto where some people think is the only place crime happens in. It was an area I was well familiar with and have since been back there many times.

I carry one Glock, 1 spare magazine, and a knife, and many think this is overkill. It's all relative.

FWIW, I know many who got their permit to carry in their vehicle "just in case". But I have to wonder why?

Most likely, if I need my pistol, I won't be able to go back to my vehicle to get it. I will need it right then!

Most people think they will see it coming and have time to prepare. This has been proven false over and over.

But, hey, I even know local cops around here who don't even carry off-duty
    carracer likes this.

VIP Member
    A Glock or two, some knives and a couple extra mags. Why not?
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Fla
    I will address a few points.
    Carry at all times. If someone could tell me the exact time I would need a gun I would be happy only to carry it that day. I live in an area that has had 3 shootings by bad guys in the last week. 2 in commercial areas and one in residential.
    Too many guns. Primary, bug or more. The bug is carried for several reasons. If the primary jams. If it gets in a close fight and you lose the primary. Location on body to go for based on situation. ( If BG is close like the parking lot give me your wallet example ) it may be better to reach back in in back pocket to pull out a wallet but pull the BUG from a back pocket wallet holster. Surprise! I can see carrying up to 3 based on situational thinking but if someone wants to carry more then maybe that person wants one to share with a friend just in case. I seldom see comments here but more BG's are going around with friends now days ( insert the word gang ). X number of shots in a primary may not be enough if it takes more than half the shots from a primary to take #1 down. It can be faster to pull the BUG than reload. One commenter said about 'If they want to carry all that around then it is their choice' referring to multiple firearms. I have carried 3 and after things settled in place in a few minutes I no longer noticed them.
    Debates on Cal of weapon. That is personal opinion of what will it take to stop the BG. Not slow down, not piss him off but stop. Cal does relate to size of the weapon so some want lightest weight and smallest size to carry. Some want to carry the biggest they can wear in some comfort. Me? I think even a 22 can stop someone depending on shot placement but I am not going to count on hitting one of a few places the size of a quarter.
    I feel that carrying anything is better than nothing.
    If a person can tell me where and when I will need a firearm. Gang in a store, single BG in parking lot, two trying to hijack my car and on and on.... I will be happy to carry just enough and only on that day. I REFUSE to have guilt and nightmares after an event thinking that an innocent died because I didn't practice enough, didn't have enough to get that one more shot to save someone else.
    Am I a wanna be Cop? Nope, but I am not gonna sit and have a chat with the BG while 911 dials and get a cop 10-15 minutes later. Surviving that time is on my shoulders.
    I am an old fart and in my day it was protect women and children. That is still ingrained in me. If I have to get in the line of fire I will do so. I have been in a situation before of getting between a BG and a small woman, he was in full charge. I hope to my God that I will be able to do it again if need be, even though I get older everyday and the body is not as strong or fast. Those that do not want to carry can go hide (if it is a guy hiding he is last in line to get protected after the women and kids).

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth33 View Post
    I'm new to forum and really enjoy reading all the opinions on gun use. I live in rural Idaho farm country and always have had guns in truck or nearby. I read a lot of these posts and don't see the urgency a lot of posters have in having a "primary", secondary and BUG on them at all times.
    Then there's the caliber debate of bigger is better. Maybe many posters are from urban high-crime areas, but we just don't see it.
    I may be looking at this from a naieve prospective, but many posters are armed at all times as if they were a cop. My rural area hasn't had much in the way of violent crime, and can't think of any of my friends or neighbors encountering it as long as I can remember. Am I seeing this as a lot of people being overly paranoid and maybe some being so jumpy that someones going to get shot?

By the way, I'm not the enemy. I am a member of the NRA, have a CCW permit, and am a huge gun enthusiast, and have pistol in vehicle at all times.

I've read a lot of situations where defensive carry has been a lifesaver, but I think some take it too far. Must be a lot of retired cops posting here, because many posts are written in that perspective....with terms such as "primary,"secondary, BUG, extended gunbattle, multiple assailants,etc. Realistically, guys like me are just regular citizens that want to protect ourselves, and probably have no business trying to "take control of public situations, because we aren't trained in it and really have no authority to do it.
    OK, I'm braced to take my medicine with some replies that think I'm way off base.
    No need to brace yourself. One man's paranoia is the next man's threshhold of preparedness. Most here are folks with genuine concerns about being able to react to a confrontation with appropriate levels of force, we just vary with how prepared to be.

I lived in semi-rural CT when I got my first pistol permit, and spent lots on training, but I only carried when I thought where I was headed had a level of threat. Then I moved to what was billed as the "safest town in the Phoenix valley." Shortly after that, a kid was murdered for no reason on the sidewalk on my dog-walking route. That's when it struck me that evil has no limits on when, where, or how much - and that's when I made it a point to always be armed. No, I don't carry a backup, but I always carry spare ammo. At home, I frequently have a gun in my pocket or on my belt, but even if I don't I'm never more than a couple steps away from one.

You're already ahead of the curve just by virtue of having firearms available. Regarding where you live, there may be an overall low crime rate, but statistically, averages don't speak to individual events. You don't have to go far to learn about how random violence affects innocent people in seemingly 'safe' venues. Read In Cold Blood about the 1959 murders of the Clutter family in Kansas, or Judgement Ridge about the Dartmouth professor murders in 2001. Bottom line is that evil can strike anytime, anywhere.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I'm pretty rural too! I keep a long gun in the barn and another in the garage. For the most part they are for Skunks, Snakes, and Ground Squirrels. I have had to use them on stray dogs also.
    Here's my story of why I need to carry always.
    We had a neighbor who was in her 80s, She saw a pack of dogs chasing her horse. She went out to chase them off but they turned on her, and began circling and snapping at her. I was out burning brush maybe 50 yards from the house, and 50 yds from her. When I saw what was going on I had two choices, run to the house and grab a rifle and then run the 100 yds back to help her, or take the shovel I had and go directly to her. Im an old fat guy so I yelled to the house but no one heard me so I took the shovel I had and ran the 50 yds of uneven ground to try and help. I hit the first dog in the neck, and the second in the hind leg. At that point the pack of dogs realized that they had turned from predators to prey, and took off. But even a pistol would have gotten that point across without Me having to get so up close. Point is you don't get to pick when you will need that gun. DR

GH
    I don't live in a rural area but in a large city. Although I live in a "nice" neighborhood I can hear gunshots at least on a weekly basis. I carry only one gun at all or most of the time but I have 14+1 in my semi-auto & a 14 round mag with me. My brother-in-law lives in even a "nicer" neighborhood in the 'burbs - about a half mile away for that Sikh temple shooting a few months ago. He carries most of the time, too but he happened to be out of town during the shooting - not that he could have done anything about it.

I doubt if I ever would carry more than one gun at a time but when I was in the military it felt kind of good to carry an M4 with an M9 pistol as backup. I also had access to air & artillery support.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

PM
    I too live in rural america. Yet I understanad those who carry a primary and a secondary (bug) and even a third gun to bug their bug. As I have seen writen here many times things break and Mr. Murphy visits at the wrong time. I work in Fast Food; nothing ever breaks when we are slow; not they go down during a rush. I have done other jobs an seen the same thing what you need goes down when you need it most. While in Grad School the copiers only went down during the time we all were trying to copy stuff for term papers; in fact the Library's out of order signs did not read "Out of Order" the sign was same thing about "The Copier knows when it is needed most and will break down at that time! Sorry the repair man has been called; he will be here when he gets here!" So, yep if I lived in a larger town in Kansas than I do I might just carry more than one gun plus have a car gun to fight my way to.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Read In Cold Blood about the 1959 murders of the Clutter family in Kansas . . .
    I lived near the community where that occured;Believe me it is still a very rural area and was more rural in 1959. Most people in that part of Kansas who live in the county and some who live in town keep multipule loaded guns within reach to prevent this kind of event from happening. I was a pastor out in Western Ks and learned to knock and yell whom I was if I visited after dark; never met at the door by an armed person but a few times the man of the house was a bit away from the door as I was invited in. This was beofre cell phones work real well in some rural areas.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links