Carry overkill

This is a discussion on Carry overkill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by msgt/ret At least to the waist line. Who knows if he would have removed his shirt we might have seen a couple ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Carry overkill

Carry overkill

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    At least to the waist line.
    Who knows if he would have removed his shirt we might have seen a couple of side arms on shoulder harnesses... I guess the school did not think of that when they made the video
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Some do go overboard. I am fine with always carrying one or maybe even two guns. When you get to carrying three, you've crossed a line and passed the tinfoil stage unless you are in an active combat zone.
    Pretty judgmental aren't we? Are we all to live by rules according to rammerjammer? I didn't get that memo.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    I think he was slicing the onion real thin and saying clips and magazines are different
    That's because clips and magazines ARE different. It's important to know the difference and use them correctly.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    That's because clips and magazines ARE different. It's important to know the difference and use them correctly.
    I like to call them clips just so I can hear the retentives howl.

What I carry is mainly influenced by what I'm wearing. I always carry a .45, but not for some ridiculous caliber war reason; I just prefer shooting .45s. I've shot everything from a little .22 pistol to a S&W500, and at the end of the day, I like my .45s. If I'm wearing something that can only easily conceal my XD-S, then that's all I'll carry. If I'm able to carry my Bersa (which is a bit larger, and holds a few rounds more), I'll carry that. And sometimes, when I'm feeling real fancy, and my clothing allows for it, I'll carry both. IMO, there's no such thing as carry overkill. I can't imagine myself ever saying, "I wish I didn't have plenty of firepower".

I always tell people a clip is the little thingy that keeps little girls hair back out of their faces, and magazines are what we use in our pistols & rifles. :)

As for the original question, it all depends. I always carry two, mostly because it's faster to go to the second gun than clear serious malfunctions in the primary, but also so I have the freedom to shed heavy clothing as the the day heats up, stashing the larger 1911 on my bike, yet remaining safe & prepared to deal with whatever problem occurs. And yes, I'm retired LEO. :)

Whatever you're comfortable with, you'll find acceptance here. If I know I'm going to have trouble, my handguns won't be primary, but rather a carbine and a good semiautomatic shotgun, and all of my friends that carry and own guns.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I like to call them clips just so I can hear the retentives howl.
    I usually only argue it when I hear an anti use it incorrectly. That way I can show off how much more about firearms I know than them and how ignorant they really are.

Carry overkill

Technically yes, but you knew what he was referring to... You don't hear people talking about Canis lupus do you?
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    Technically yes, but you knew what he was referring to... You don't hear people talking about Canis lupus do you?
    Not even technically; they are definitely completely different things. Also, using canis lupus isn't a good analogy, since it's the proper name for a gray wolf, and both "gray wolf" and "canis lupus" are correct names of the same animal. Clip and magazine are not the same thing by any stretch, so using clip isn't a matter of being more common, it's a matter of being completely incorrect.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Carry overkill

Not even technically; they are definitely completely different things. Also, using canis lupus isn't a good analogy, since it's the proper name for a gray wolf, and both "gray wolf" and "canis lupus" are correct names of the same animal. Clip and magazine are not the same thing by any stretch, so using clip isn't a matter of being more common, it's a matter of being completely incorrect.
    Okay you are right and the rest of us who don't care if someone calls a magazine a clip (some even say banana clips for the 30 rounders) are wrong.... I am not going to respond to any more on this subject as it is trivial... Merry Christmas to you sir.

-James Earl Jones

Yep, wrong.

Merry Christmas. Let's not let our petty discussions get us down. I hope everybody enjoys their holiday, and stays safe (especially while traveling).

Sometimes you wonder if you joined the right forum. This is one of those times for me. Keep crossing your t's and dotting your i's because there is always someone to criticize

Carry overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    Sometimes you wonder if you joined the right forum. This is one of those times for me. Keep crossing your t's and dotting your i's because there is always someone to criticize
    Ah he just did not get what he wanted for Christmas... Don't let it bother you ...

-James Earl Jones

Did anyone think I was referring to anything else ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    Ah he just did not get what he wanted for Christmas... Don't let it bother you ...
    I got precisely what I wanted, actually. I'm not grumpy in the slightest bit, but I feel it's necessary to make the distinction. I wasn't aware that so many people can be so offended by correction.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links