Carry overkill

This is a discussion on Carry overkill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a M&P 40 and a snub 38 in my pocket with a speed strip. I figure if there is a serious malfunction I ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Carry overkill

I carry a M&P 40 and a snub 38 in my pocket with a speed strip. I figure if there is a serious malfunction I can just grab the other one. Another reason is there have been times when shady characters have approached me and rather than put my hand on a full sized M&P behind my back while lifting my shirt, I just put my hand in my pocket and grip the 38, no one knows. Also, my wife has her concealed carry but doesn't carry as often as I do. I figure I can pass one of them to her in a dire situation and now there are two of us. Sometimes I just run to the store with just one though. I never leave the house without at least one. Just like a seatbelt.

If you want to carry 9 weapons I really don't care, just be responsible and you're good with me.
    multistage likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Carry overkill

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I got precisely what I wanted, actually. I'm not grumpy in the slightest bit, but I feel it's necessary to make the distinction. I wasn't aware that so many people can be so offended by correction.
    Not your place to do so...it was not necessary, it was not nice and kind.. Three strikes you are out.. This makes you a bully
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth33 View Post
    I'm new to forum and really enjoy reading all the opinions on gun use. I live in rural Idaho farm country and always have had guns in truck or nearby. I read a lot of these posts and don't see the urgency a lot of posters have in having a "primary", secondary and BUG on them at all times.
    Then there's the caliber debate of bigger is better. Maybe many posters are from urban high-crime areas, but we just don't see it.
    I may be looking at this from a naieve prospective, but many posters are armed at all times as if they were a cop. My rural area hasn't had much in the way of violent crime, and can't think of any of my friends or neighbors encountering it as long as I can remember. Am I seeing this as a lot of people being overly paranoid and maybe some being so jumpy that someones going to get shot?

By the way, I'm not the enemy. I am a member of the NRA, have a CCW permit, and am a huge gun enthusiast, and have pistol in vehicle at all times.

I've read a lot of situations where defensive carry has been a lifesaver, but I think some take it too far. Must be a lot of retired cops posting here, because many posts are written in that perspective....with terms such as "primary,"secondary, BUG, extended gunbattle, multiple assailants,etc. Realistically, guys like me are just regular citizens that want to protect ourselves, and probably have no business trying to "take control of public situations, because we aren't trained in it and really have no authority to do it.
    OK, I'm braced to take my medicine with some replies that think I'm way off base.
    my two cents.. I have a background in armed security and executive protection service, but that aside, I was also a boy scout, and learnt to always be prepared. Criminals are clever, or at least they try to be. They know what works to their advantage, and that's firepower (having a gun) and numbers (working in groups) when it comes to assault, robbery, home invasion, and even muggings. car jacking can be solitary or in teams, really rape is about the only crime that comes to mind that's often done by a lone individual. That said, having enough ammunition is a benefit. 5 or 6 rounds may not be enough. With adrenaline pumping, maybe in low light, you'll miss. you won't land every shot, even at close range many times. you may have to shoot at a barricade to reach your opponent as well. Also keep in mind that if the guy is hopped up on crank, meth, PCP, etc.. you're going to have to shoot him multiple times to stop him. This even holds true for strung out, skinny meth heads. If you're not trained to shoot for incapacitation, like hitting them in the pelvis to stop a charge, you can hit high center of mass, and they'll bleed out, but not instantly. They can close distance, and still get to you, and inflict damage even with a terminal injury.
    Noting all of that stuff, I prefer capacity to caliber, because I've just never seen any data to prove that a larger handgun caliber has any more chance of stopping a threat on the first shot, or at all, so I carry 9mm with two 15 round magazines and one round chambered, and I carry the most effective round I can find in that caliber. In this case, speer gold dot +P rounds. Carry what you feel comfortable with, and what works for you. There is no one right answer to what everybody should carry. Shot placement counts, stopping power counts, capacity counts.. Nothing means everything, but everything means something.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    Not your place to do so...it was not necessary, it was not nice and kind.. Three strikes you are out.. This makes you a bully
    Ahh. And here's my correction. It wasn't my place, it wasn't nice, it wasn't kind, and I'm a bully. Thanks for correcting me.

So is it your place then? I suppose it is ok to bully the "bully".
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Carry overkill

Ahh. And here's my correction. It wasn't my place, it wasn't nice, it wasn't kind, and I'm a bully. Thanks for correcting me.

So is it your place then? I suppose it is ok to bully the "bully".
    My pleasure.. Just giving you of your own medicine... It does not feel good to be corrected and I don't like to except when needed.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    My pleasure.. Just giving you of your own medicine... It does not feel good to be corrected and I don't like to except when needed.
    It's a simple correction about firearm components. If your pride is so easily wounded, then it'd probably be safer for you to never leave your home. I'd rather be corrected and learn something new than get upset because somebody dared suggest that I'm wrong.
    atctimmy and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

everyone needs their ego stroked

StarPD45
    I got precisely what I wanted, actually. I'm not grumpy in the slightest bit, but I feel it's necessary to make the distinction. I wasn't aware that so many people can be so offended by correction.
    I have a box of clips. Some 8 rounds and a few 5 rounders. Of course, they are for my Garand.
    pittypat21 and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Just as a few others have said here, I carry what I want to fit the situation. Heck, for the last week I have been carrying my Hi Point C9! Laugh all you want, but its very accurate and reliable as all get out. There are times in hotter weather where I will just carry my Beretta Bobcat. To me all are better than my fist.
    Stan6406 likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Carry overkill

It's a simple correction about firearm components. If your pride is so easily wounded, then it'd probably be safer for you to never leave your home. I'd rather be corrected and learn something new than get upset because somebody dared suggest that I'm wrong.
    Yep I am completely hurt and my pride is devastated ... You win! ... Merry Christmas!

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by rugergunner View Post
    Just as a few others have said here, I carry what I want to fit the situation. Heck, for the last week I have been carrying my Hi Point C9! Laugh all you want, but its very accurate and reliable as all get out. There are times in hotter weather where I will just carry my Beretta Bobcat. To me all are better than my fist.
    I have an RG model 31 that I trust more then anything I own. 30 years olds and fired better them anything I have. If it was more compact I would carry it
    rugergunner likes this.

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post

If you want to carry 9 weapons I really don't care, just be responsible and you're good with me.
    As an aside; does anyone remember the TV show "Simon and Simon"? There was an episode where the brothers were in the LT's office and they were asked to disarm. By the time they were finished, the desk was covered with guns, knives, clubs, etc. It was a funny sight.
    daddysgirl likes this.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    I have an RG model 31 that I trust more then anything I own. 30 years olds and fired better them anything I have. If it was more compact I would carry it
    Sahweet! I have the Hi Point JHP in .45 ACP too, but it would be like carrying a cordless drill! lol. I have put just over 500 rounds through that JHP without one single malfuntion yet...both ball and JHP ammo. As long as I keep the bullet weight at 200 grains or more, it should be good to go. That JHP is a very accurate gun too, and is soft on recoil. At forty-two ounces it should be! Lol.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    my two cents.. I have a background in armed security and executive protection service, but that aside, I was also a boy scout, and learnt to always be prepared. Criminals are clever, or at least they try to be. They know what works to their advantage, and that's firepower (having a gun) and numbers (working in groups) when it comes to assault, robbery, home invasion, and even muggings. car jacking can be solitary or in teams, really rape is about the only crime that comes to mind that's often done by a lone individual. That said, having enough ammunition is a benefit. 5 or 6 rounds may not be enough. With adrenaline pumping, maybe in low light, you'll miss. you won't land every shot, even at close range many times. you may have to shoot at a barricade to reach your opponent as well. Also keep in mind that if the guy is hopped up on crank, meth, PCP, etc.. you're going to have to shoot him multiple times to stop him. This even holds true for strung out, skinny meth heads. If you're not trained to shoot for incapacitation, like hitting them in the pelvis to stop a charge, you can hit high center of mass, and they'll bleed out, but not instantly. They can close distance, and still get to you, and inflict damage even with a terminal injury.
    Noting all of that stuff, I prefer capacity to caliber, because I've just never seen any data to prove that a larger handgun caliber has any more chance of stopping a threat on the first shot, or at all, so I carry 9mm with two 15 round magazines and one round chambered, and I carry the most effective round I can find in that caliber. In this case, speer gold dot +P rounds. Carry what you feel comfortable with, and what works for you. There is no one right answer to what everybody should carry. Shot placement counts, stopping power counts, capacity counts.. Nothing means everything, but everything means something.
    You sir have the kind of job that requires you to run toward trouble, a lot like a LEO. In my own situation I only need to defend myself to get away from a bad situation. DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarPD45 View Post
    I have a box of clips. Some 8 rounds and a few 5 rounders. Of course, they are for my Garand.
    Have a bunch of clips myself, 5 round, 8 round, and 10 round they work quite well for the Garand, Mauser Broomhandle and AR-15s.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links