Carry overkill

Carry overkill

This is a discussion on Carry overkill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to forum and really enjoy reading all the opinions on gun use. I live in rural Idaho farm country and always have had ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Carry overkill

Carry overkill

I'm new to forum and really enjoy reading all the opinions on gun use. I live in rural Idaho farm country and always have had guns in truck or nearby. I read a lot of these posts and don't see the urgency a lot of posters have in having a "primary", secondary and BUG on them at all times.
    Then there's the caliber debate of bigger is better. Maybe many posters are from urban high-crime areas, but we just don't see it.
    I may be looking at this from a naieve prospective, but many posters are armed at all times as if they were a cop. My rural area hasn't had much in the way of violent crime, and can't think of any of my friends or neighbors encountering it as long as I can remember. Am I seeing this as a lot of people being overly paranoid and maybe some being so jumpy that someones going to get shot?

By the way, I'm not the enemy. I am a member of the NRA, have a CCW permit, and am a huge gun enthusiast, and have pistol in vehicle at all times.

I've read a lot of situations where defensive carry has been a lifesaver, but I think some take it too far. Must be a lot of retired cops posting here, because many posts are written in that perspective....with terms such as "primary,"secondary, BUG, extended gunbattle, multiple assailants,etc. Realistically, guys like me are just regular citizens that want to protect ourselves, and probably have no business trying to "take control of public situations, because we aren't trained in it and really have no authority to do it.
    OK, I'm braced to take my medicine with some replies that think I'm way off base.
    Realleycat and satori59 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

welcome to the forum

Most of us have not been in firefights, so how much ordnance we think we need is unsubstantiated opinion. Carry whatever you feel is right. Regarding the caliber war, I carry a .45 only because there is no .75.

Carry overkill

I live in a rural area myself. I was thinking the exact same thing as you. Then last Thursday, a man well known by the entire community was found shot in the back of the head. Left along the road. We aren't in Kansas anymore Dorothy. Since then I have made my carrying option a bit more everyday accessible. Just saying.

Bob

Too many toys to list...wife might see it. 😁
    surefire7 likes this.

Welcome aboard. I don't think you're going to get flamed like you think. Lots of guys here carry 5 shot snubbies.
    Richard58 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Good point from another rural guy! I am getting more aware, and having guns nearby. Just not in our everyday thinking here in Idaho, but I guess violence can pop up anywhere

You need to do what makes you comfortable. Some people are comfortable with a gun under the seat. I did that for a few years, and then bought a pocket pistol. Now I don't feel comfortable walking to the mail box without it in my pocket.

When I was a LEO my backup gun was a Remington 870. If I really thought I was going to need a gun, it came out of the car with me. Then my duty handgun became my backup. I have never met someone that had been in a firefight and thought they had to many guns or to much ammo.

Be safe.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

I kind of feel the same, but then I have never had to defend myself with a handgun either. I should get my letter either later this week or next week for sure. I will carry (1) gun for now. I read one old post where the OP carried a shotgun room to room in his home. What ever it takes I guess.

VIP Member
    I too live in a rural area that sees very little but it is out there. Not long ago three houses just down from me were broken into and three months a young man was killed and left in the road, his murderer has not been caught yet. Also as a coin collector it is not uncommon for me to carry large sums of money or valuable coins. No one knows when, where or if a crime may happen so you carry what you feel is appropriate to counter any threats.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Some do go overboard. I am fine with always carrying one or maybe even two guns. When you get to carrying three, you've crossed a line and passed the tinfoil stage unless you are in an active combat zone.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob3663 View Post
    I live in a rural area myself. I was thinking the exact same thing as you. Then last Thursday, a man well known by the entire community was found shot in the back of the head. Left along the road. We aren't in Kansas anymore Dorothy. Since then I have made my carrying option a bit more everyday accessible. Just saying.

Bob

Too many toys to list...wife might see it. 😁
    Not in Kansas anymore? Wasn't 'In Cold Blood' a rural massacre in the 'good ol days?'

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My father was unloading his car at a local tourist spot at the beach when someone approached him from behind and stuck a gun in his back, relieving him of his wallet. That was many years ago, and he carried a gun for the rest of his life. This occurred in a high traffic area at the beach, and "nobody saw anything". I spend a lot of time in that area just strolling along the beach...needless to say, I always carry. I haven't needed any firepower since leaving the military, but I always have it handy.

being from Idaho also, we are seeing alot more crime in the "bigger" cities.. and by bigger I mean IF what 60K people lol
    just over the weekend there was an armed robbery at a gas station on our main street. 17th.
    for the most part in my home town you wont find trouble unless you are looking for it.. but whos to say when or where something will take place. :(

oh and welcome. I dont post much, just read from time to time

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Overkill is a relative term. What I need to carry to feel protected is going to vary from what the guy in S. Chicago or Detroit is going to want to have. I'm perfectly comfortable mowing my lawn while unarmed; others may not due to over-precaution or the reality of their areas.

I don't feel any of what I might is going to be the unstoppable BG who can wade through a hail of bullets and wipe out all that's good in this world in a single swoop. I feel the BG is more likely to make a quick about face at the sight of my .45 muzzle, if not at that first bullet heading in his direction. I don't carry enough reloads to hold off the SE US Chapter of the Mexican Mafia. If I'm in that situation, I have failed myself miserably. No matter how much you carry, you might need one more. I carry to get out of trouble, not to stay in it. If I'm looking for combat, it's not with my handgun.

My philosophy is simple: Carry what makes you feel comfortable, not what everyone else think is necessary. For me, sometimes that's my G30 and one mag, other times it's my 6906 and a spare.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There must be a primary, a back up, a back up to the back up, and a back up to the back up of the back up. Oh wait, we aren't talking about computer servers. Crime can appear anywhere at any time. None of us go out and look for trouble, but when/if it comes our way we have to be ready. Having said that, each of us makes our own decisions and as such have to live with whatever the consequences are of those decisions. I can't carry 100% of the time due to travel, but if I could I would. Having a back up weapon does not fit my wardrobe very well, so I don't normally carry more than one. However, if I am very unsure of an area and I know that I can legally carry my ankle would probably have a companion.
    carracer likes this.

We had entire rural family murdered not long ago just east of here. The guy was on parole, living in a halfway house.

_storysmartredirect

You can't be too careful anymore.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links