Columbine Dad speaks out - Page 5

Columbine Dad speaks out

This is a discussion on Columbine Dad speaks out within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the Dad was spot on. It's not the NRA it's not the guns it's what would drive somebody to plan and carry out ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Columbine Dad speaks out

I think the Dad was spot on. It's not the NRA it's not the guns it's what would drive somebody to plan and carry out such an evil act. And his answer explains very well how our society has reached the point we are at. Religion is just a word. We don't need a religion to acknowledge for ourselves there is a God and that we can pray to him any time any place and that this is pleasing to Him and helps keep are spirit healthy.

Darrell Scott

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence.
    Jetfuelrm and smolck like this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Popajones View Post
    I think the Dad was spot on. It's not the NRA it's not the guns it's what would drive somebody to plan and carry out such an evil act. And his answer explains very well how our society has reached the point we are at. Religion is just a word. We don't need a religion to acknowledge for ourselves there is a God and that we can pray to him any time any place and that this is pleasing to Him and helps keep are spirit healthy.

Darrell Scott

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence.
    So lets all roll out our prayer rugs and worship Allah. Cool?
    brocktice likes this.

Personally, I think there's so much "all or nothing" reasoning that happens with this topic that we'll never get to any kind of conclusion. I'd MUCH rather have the principal get on the loudspeaker at the beginning of each day and announce a two minute period of silence for students to pray to God or a god they believe in, and if they believe in none, then focus on preparing for the day.

I also think that religion should be taught in school, but it should be a class and a practitioner of every religion gets a week to come in and explain what his or her religion is actually about, with a teacher there that facilitates it. Christian (Protestant, evangelical, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Catholic), Muslim (shia, sunni, other), Jewish (Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed), Buddhist (both types), Hindhu, Taoism, etc. etc. Even including a secular humanist.

when most of the world has a religious faith of some sort, how can pushing ignorance of religions in our schools be useful?

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Columbine Dad speaks out

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I also think that religion should be taught in school, but it should be a class and a practitioner of every religion gets a week to come in and explain what his or her religion is actually about, with a teacher there that facilitates it. Christian (Protestant, evangelical, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Catholic), Muslim (shia, sunni, other), Jewish (Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed), Buddhist (both types), Hindhu, Taoism, etc. etc. Even including a secular humanist.

when most of the world has a religious faith of some sort, how can pushing ignorance of religions in our schools be useful?
    There are comparative religion classes, I think. Maybe that is just in college.
    Doghandler likes this.

Re: Columbine Dad speaks out

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    There are comparative religion classes, I think. Maybe that is just in college.
    In my Utopian world the teaching of comparative religion would be required at the dawn of adolescence. The question would be rather what language it would be taught in, Latin or Greek. Just for qualification I am a mear charlatan who speaks neither.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    So lets all roll out our prayer rugs and worship Allah. Cool?
    that would be a great start to getting this country back on track
    Doghandler likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Popajones View Post
    that would be a great start to getting this country back on track
    How is it off track?

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    How is it off track?
    Oh, you know, the decrease in relgiousness, the increase in violent crime, poverty, lack of personal responsibility. Oh wait, actually crime rates and poverty are improving, as are most other measures of well-being. Nevermind then.

Religion out to be between the practitioner and their Deity. No need for faculty led or organized prayers in school. On the other hand no need to freak out about them either. Christianity is a deeply rooted traditional religion in this country and whatever the Founders personal beliefs, they never balked at public displays of religion(prayers to begin congressional sessions and such).

Do we need religion in school, I think definitely not. School administration need not make allowances for anyones personal beliefs, students have plenty of free time and are free to practice their religion anyway they want so long as they do not disrupt other students or the educational process. Prayers facing the east at noon are probably not something that schools should make time for. Nor should they prevent anyone who says a private prayer, to Jesus, Allah, or Satan, over their meal.

Not having your religion acknowledged or encouraged is not the same as having your freedom of religion infringed on. Neither is having a teacher or principle say a public prayer or display some of his/her own pesonal religous feelings having religion "Stuffed down your throat".
    d2jlking likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links