GFSZA question

This is a discussion on GFSZA question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a simple question I cant seem to find the answer to. So I know the GFSZA law states that no one can carry ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chiefjason
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: GFSZA question

GFSZA question

I have a simple question I cant seem to find the answer to. So I know the GFSZA law states that no one can carry on school grounds unless you have a state issued permit and your state allows it. So being in alabama, I am ok to CC on school grounds. However, unless I'm reading it wrong, it is completely different in regards to discharging the weapon. As I understand it, only LEOs and security guards may discharge on school grounds and having a CC permit does NOT exempt you from this.

So my questions. Did I interpret this correctly? If I did, why CC on school grounds if you wont be able to shoot the BG?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

2. Remove Ads

IANAL, and I don't know AL law. But in NC self defense is generally exempted from discharge statutes. It might take some digging on your part, but I bet that's what you find.
    atctimmy and Anubis like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I think if you look at your state's laws regarding the use of deadly force, that will round out the picture for you.

While a permit allows you to carry your sidearm on school grounds, it does not authorize you to shoot recreationally - that's the fundamental intent. If you actually have to shoot your weapon in self-defense, one question which will be asked was "were you legally allowed to carry your weapon where you were at the time of the shooting." If that was on school grounds and you had a CCW, then your answer is yes.

Same goes for non-school properties. Here in AZ we can carry lots of places, but discharging firearms within incorporated towns and cities is generally illegal. It is clearly understood that the defensive use of firearms is legal use.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You will have to look at your state's laws carefully. In some states where carry on school grounds is allowed, the law strictly allows only LEO to discharge a weapon on school grounds. Some states do provide a self-defense exemption for non-LEO.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Links