Defensive Carry banner

I dont have my CCW/CWP and have a question

3K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Jemsaal 
#1 ·
After you take the class and file for your permit I am assuming you're not supposed to carry concealed until your actual permit comes in the mail right? Dumb question but I dont know if that is state wide or what. Thanks! I'm saving up to take my class soon.

#2 ·
Not sure about SC but that is how it works in most states. Carrying without a permit is generally a felony.

#3 ·
Permit in-hand == concealed carry allowed.

#4 ·
While I can't speak for the law in SC but it expressly spells it out in WI law that you can't carry unless you have the CCL as well as state ID or drivers license. That goes even if you're licensed to carry & forget your wallet or ID folder. To carry then is against the law but I've heard that if you can show your license to an authority by a certain length of time you won't be charged. I think your firearm is confiscated until that time. Some states, like WI allow unlicensed open carry - "Constitutional Carry".

#5 ·
Well at the moment if I leave I always put it in my car but never carry on my persons. I'm not about to risk my passion/hobby because of a mistake. Thanks for the information! I'm sure most states are the same on the laws. I could always ask a cop but I think they have more stuff to worry about.

#6 ·
Well at the moment if I leave I always put it in my car but never carry on my persons. I'm not about to risk my passion/hobby because of a mistake. Thanks for the information! I'm sure most states are the same on the laws. I could always ask a cop but I think they have more stuff to worry about.
Do not assume that, EVER. Also, as a rule, LEOs are not a good source of Statutory information.

As every State is different, you must look at your State’s Statutes, and case law. And because there can be nuances, that can problematic.

For example, in Florida, not having the license in your possession is a civil infraction with a $25.00 fine; however, if it is lost, the license in invalid, and that’s an entirely different event. In this example, how you simply answer a question could be the difference between a felony and the equivalent of $25 parking ticket.

Reactions: Truckinbutch
#7 ·
Just because you took a class does not mean you automatically get your CCP... the reason you took the class was to be able to apply for a permit and now the background checks are done. Once you are approved and receive your permit, that's when you can carry.

#8 ·
Can't legally carry without the permit.

However you can keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle without having a CWP. In the console, glove box or under the seat as long
as it's out of sight.

From what I'm hearing once you apply it could take up to three months to receive it. FBI and state are swamped with background
checks again. Took 89 days to receive mine four years ago.

#10 ·
Now that I would have to look up but for me there'd be one in the tube.

Wouldn't expect to put the hammer down on an empty cylinder on a wheel gun !

Can't speak for your area but up here there are some great instructors that don't
charge an arm and a leg for the course. Some shops with ranges get pretty pricey
so you may want to ask around. Courses run eight hours.

Did you have a MO permit ? You'd be covered here.

#12 ·
... Did you have a MO permit ? You'd be covered here.
If you now live in SC, be careful, your MO permit will not be honored in SC. Look on Handgunlaw.us. It shows SC only honors the MO resident permit of people that reside in MO. If you have relocated to SC, your MO permit is no longer valid.

#11 ·
If you do not have a recognized permit for South Carolina, your firearm may be transported (loaded or unloaded) in a closed glove compartment, console box or trunk.
If you’re riding a motorcycle, the firearm should be secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar accessory container.

I take loaded as one in the tube !

I forgot about this ... Licensed hunters and fishermen may also carry loaded handguns, while they are hunting and fishing, but do not need a permit to do so.

Guess you could always be on your way fishing ;-}

#14 ·
No I never got the permit in MO. My cousin is a homicide detective where I'm from, teaches at the Police Academy and also CWP/CCW classes. There was no need to get it because I was moving. BUT where we are from I could open carry without a permit. I lived kinda rural so it wasn't too alarming to most people. I found a shop here that does the class for $50 and another $55 for the fees to the county and what not. So $105 total. Again I appreciate the information from everyone. Whatta wonderful group of people there are here!!! :)

#15 ·
Just saying my revolver would be full as would any pistol.

A hundred years ? I"ve seen some old six guns with the pin on the hammer
that I didn't think were that old. Pretty sure one was a Colt. now in that
case the hammer would be down on an empty chamber. They've been known
to go bang if dropped in fact I think that one had.
My wifes late father had a nice civil war collection, we've got a replica colt and an original colt. I don't know diggidy about those old revolvers. I am assuming they're cap and ball???? I'd LOVE to shoot them but don't know where to start on them. She was alot younger when they used them for re-enacting i think. And doesnt remember how they work. I haven't taken the time to mess around with them just yet and thats been 5 years now LOL!! I'd love to carry one of those but I don't think i'd have a good time trying to hide them! Lemme take some pictures and I'll post some if your curious!

#16 ·
Now you're changing the subject on me.

Highpockets was absolutely correct ... if you're officially an SC resident a MO permit would not cover you.

Okay ... about those antique cap and ball revolvers ... you show me yours and I'll show you mine !

Manhatten Fire Arms Mft. Co. New York, .36 cal, patented Dec. 27, 1859. Carried by my great great grand
daddy. Holster gave up the ghost long ago and can't remember CSA or USA, could have been either. Another
thread of antiques might prove interesting.

Several guys at the range have shown up with beautiful replicas and you'd be amazed at their accuracy.

J

#18 ·
I don't know of any state, except those with constitutional carry, that allow you to carry concealed prior to having your permit in hand. Just because you've applied doesn't mean it can't be disapproved. Would you want a doctor practicing medicine prior to passing his state boards and receiving his license?

#22 ·
Great advice not sure there but here without a permit can carry on your property outside as well

#30 ·
Arizona allows you to carry concealed without a permit, but there are certain restrictions on where you can go - for instance, you can't go into a restaurant concealed that has a liquor license, unless you have Permit.

#29 ·
In SC you can only CC or Open carry on your property, business, to & from your vehicle, with out your permit. Other than that it's a NO!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.