2nd and 3rd days carring concealed

This is a discussion on 2nd and 3rd days carring concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, day two was a LCP in a pocket hoster. I noticed as I walked by a mirror that my back pocket sagged more than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2nd and 3rd days carring concealed

2nd and 3rd days carring concealed

OK, day two was a LCP in a pocket hoster. I noticed as I walked by a mirror that my back pocket sagged more than the other. In my drawing practice I found that it was difficult to get a full firing grip on the gun. I will need more practice

The next day I broke out the Crossbreed Supertuck with the LC9. Wore in around the house all day, trying different carrying postitions and clothing.'

Just completed my 3rd day (Super tuck / LC9). It is a pretty comfortable holster. I found myself wanting to check to make the the grip was not sticking out from under my shirt. Noticed that my belt was too narrow to cover the holsters J - clips. So it apprears I need to find a wider belt of narrower clips.

I want to get a holster for the XD compact as that is the gun I am most comfortable shooting. but it is quite a bit bigger than the LC9. My go with the Supertuck again for the XD. Although the Remoras look interesting.

Always learning,

Nick

2. Remove Ads

This holster maker will meet all your needs with quality and quick delivery...High Noon Holsters

Make a choice, buy many cheap holsters (one size fits many), or get a 'boned' holster for a specific firearm once. Well actually, get a holster box because finding the perfect holster is a 'process'.
    archer51 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"... Well actually, get a holster box because finding the perfect holster is a 'process'.
    Ditto that. I've gone through several and still haven't found the perfect holster. I have a soft sided OWB that fits pretty well and keeps the gun in place but its still not exactly right.

My process is buy a good holster from the start. I don't really need a drawer full of holsters that didn't work.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

+1 ... yep, buying a holster is definetly a learning curve, got a shoe box full before buying those "fitted"
    to the weapon. I like the Galco King Tucks.

Almost forgot ... get a good "gun belt", as important as the holster.

J

GH
    I'm not completely sold on pocket carry but then again I don't have any guns that would fit real good in a pocket. I normally have my gun in an OWB holster & practice drawing every time I put it on to make sure that I can reach & present it quickly. A good belt helps tremendously.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Like most people, I've experimented with lots of holsters, before finding the ones that I prefer and trust.

I've settled on the DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my primary, and I have one for all of them. No thumb snap to get in the way of a smooth draw, and easy to re-holster with one hand. $50-$60 range. The SS is an OWB holster, but it snugs up nice, with a quality gun belt, and is easily concealed with a minimum of effort.

i have an old Jackass Miami Classic shoulder (Galco now) rig with two magazines under right arm. Updated it with the horizontal carry mag pouches, and a black harness, as black disappears against a black tee shirt better than the older brown did. This holster rig is just over $100 now I think. I use this holster system for 1911 pistols, and it works well under fleece vest and/or a leather jacket in cooler weather.

And lastly I have a Renegade ankle holster, that will hold all medium to small automatics securely. Every now and then there is a situation that calls for an ankle holster. I'd just caution you to be mindful of the fact that you can not draw from this mode of carry very quickly, unless you're Jackie Chan, so you must anticipate trouble, and relocate the pistol ahead of time, when that trouble rears it's ugly head.

I don't own a holster for my Kimber Solo Carry, as I purchased it to ride in my right front pocket. Works well naked, so I'll not spend any time looking for clothes for her. Have to watch the dust bunnies, etc, but I like it just fine.

It's all part of the journey. You'll figure it out, and nobody can really tell you what works best for you. It's a personal decision, all we can do is tell you what works best for us. Good luck, and be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Just an observation here. You mentioned your belt not being wide enough to cover the j-hooks. Are you using an off the shelf dress belt? If so invest in a good gun belt. It will make a world of difference in supporting your gun and holster.

Finding the right holster can be a hit and miss proposition. What works for me, may or may not work for you. Find one that works for you and stick with it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Start with a quality holster.
    Side Guard Holsters - Pocket Holsters

Then get a quality belt at least 1.5" wide. It should be stiff enough that you can't fold or roll it top edge to bottom edge.
    Tactical Belt - Operator, Duty & Leather Belts | 5.11 Tactical
    I have the 1.5" leather casual belt.

Welcome!

Most holsters designed specifically for your pistol will do the trick, but all are dependent on a really good belt. Without the belt, the holster can't be supported properly.

All your worrying about what it looks like, how it prints, how your pants hang, etc., is a normal part of the process. You'll realize that your wardrobe may need to change slightly, but probably not that much. I pocket carry a J Frame S&W revolver in either a Nemesis or Mika pocket holster quite a bit, and take it with me when buying pants so I know if the pockets are deep enough. If I don't have my revolver with me, I know how far my hand must go into pocket to accommodate the 642 and holster. I carry a full size XD in an IWB Minotaur holster, and could not do it without a quality belt. If you don't want to spend a ton of money on a dedicated gun belt from one of the holster makers, you might look at the "Double Duty" belt from Cabelas. It's a stiff, double thickness belt at 1.5" wide. I used one for a few years and it makes a pretty good gun belt at less than $40.

At some point, you'll come to the realization that everyone is oblivious and nobody notices those things you're worried about, and your confidence will only grow. You notice because you're looking for printing, sagging, bulges, etc. It's a process that each and every person on this forum has been through. Now, get out there and do the introductory "Wally Walk" and report back to the group!

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I also carry a LC9 in a supertuck and it is a great holster. I have also carried it in my jeans pocket with a Uncle Mike's pocket holster size 4, it's makes a pretty big bulge but it looks like a cell phone so I'm not worried. I'm on week 2 of carrying and I still check myself periodically. I know it's been said many times but a good belt is the difference maker. I have a brown belt that isn't as thick as my black belt and I don't like the feel of it, the black belt is great.

There are many great gun leather sites, some even sponsors and members on this site, that provide great belts.

To be completely honest, the best, most stiff, "gun belt" i have found was $20 and Tractor Supply Co. An easy way to know if it's a good belt:
    1) Place the belt on the notch you will wear it at
    2) Grab the belt buckle and hold it out directly in front of you
    3) Move your wrist up and down
    4) The less play in leather, the better carry belt you will have
    --Belt should stay in a relatively tight circle

Just my 2 cents..
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

As one of the last states to join the Union in regards to concealed carry we in Wisconsin are fortunate in that we have the guidance of those that have gone before us.

It's been quite an adjustment for me having only used competition and LEO style holsters for years to make the 'transition" to CC style carry.

My leanings so far:

1. Don't go cheap. In Wisconsin bargain hunting is a way of life but resist the urge. Spend the money. I bought a Silent Thunder IWB from Garret Industries. $91.50 shipped. Reasonable cost considering the quality and versatility. I can carry it AIWB (my preferred carry position, comfy sitting or standing. Although I am still forever conscious of my trust in "Glock Perfection" by literally putting my balls in their hands; Ok, that sounded weird, but true). I can also adjust the cant and wear it at 3 or 4 o'clock. Not saying this is 'The holster" to buy but to illustrate that a quality holster will provide a stable, confident, platform from which to build your CC skills.

2. Yes you need a good belt. Trust me, trust just about everyone else on this forum. You can't even judge your holster choice until you have a true gun belt. I use a Bullhide Belts brand 1 1/4" "dress" gun belt. $65 shipped. Not as thick as the regular 1/4" gun belts but very comfy and plenty stiff for IWB carry. Again, not saying buy this one, but buy a real gun belt. Lots of options out there.

3. Sounds like you are already doing it- Practice and training. At the height of my involvement with the shooting sports my minimum practice routine to prepare for a match was 5K-10K a week live fire and 30K-50K dry fire. With all that I was just OK compared to other competitive shooters. CC isn't for fun and games. So what kind of training do you imagine is justified? Exactly. Wish I could afford the level of training I know is needed but I do the best I can.

Again, just my opinions. Many guys and gals on this forum have been CC'ing for decades more than I have. Just a fellow Wisconsinite's newbie perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Northnick View Post
    OK, day two was a LCP in a pocket hoster. I noticed as I walked by a mirror that my back pocket sagged more than the other. In my drawing practice I found that it was difficult to get a full firing grip on the gun. I will need more practice

The next day I broke out the Crossbreed Supertuck with the LC9. Wore in around the house all day, trying different carrying postitions and clothing.'

Just completed my 3rd day (Super tuck / LC9). It is a pretty comfortable holster. I found myself wanting to check to make the the grip was not sticking out from under my shirt. Noticed that my belt was too narrow to cover the holsters J - clips. So it apprears I need to find a wider belt of narrower clips.

I want to get a holster for the XD compact as that is the gun I am most comfortable shooting. but it is quite a bit bigger than the LC9. My go with the Supertuck again for the XD. Although the Remoras look interesting.

Always learning,
    Nick

The J-clips should go over your belt, not behind it. Thats why a good quality belt is recommended when using an inside the waste band holster.

VIP Member
    Gun belt, gun belt gun belt!

Look here for good leather at a good price:

Concealment Holsters : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links