How do you carry a spare mag?

This is a discussion on How do you carry a spare mag? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry 1 spare mag in my weak side pocket in a DeSantis Nemisis Mag Carrier..... If you are familiar with the Nemisis pocket holster ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry a spare mag?

I carry 1 spare mag in my weak side pocket in a DeSantis Nemisis Mag Carrier..... If you are familiar with the Nemisis pocket holster for pocket guns.....you have a good idea what the mag carrier looks like. I just couldn't stand my Sig P220 mag moving in my pocket....this holster holds if firmly in a easily retrievable position.

2. Remove Ads

Several years ago, I crafted a spare mag carrier I call "The Spare Change" for an air marshal, and the idea clicked with a lot of people. You can see it here D&D Gunleather and I think one other company has copied the design a couple of years ago.

It's like a pocket holster except for a spare mag. They work pretty good, I'm told.
    I carry a spare on my belt in a traditional carrier made of leather.

Weak side, 8 o'clock, double leather mag carrier, OWB...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I carry the spare mag for my Walther in my left front pocket, I've also got my cellphone (Droid) and chapstick in there. I have tested a few times pulling the mag out quickly and it seems like it is just fine.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Here's my LC9 mag pouch:

I carry it weakside, and it has an adjustment screw so you can get the retention pressure just how you want it. In the event you need a reload, doesn't seem like a good idea to be digging around in your pockets and suchlike. Also, given that this is an essential part of the firearm, you don't want it getting lint or debris in it.

Also, as this is a last-ditch, close-quarters weapon, it really isn't a gun you'd want for an extended session of "you shoot at me, I shoot back at you." More likely, even if you have to discharge it in defense, you're probably going to immediately remove yourself to a safer location. It's a special situation item.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northnick View Post
    Feeling like I should I have the ability to carry a spare mag for my XD or LC9. What do you like / use?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Nick
    belly band holster with gun on one side, and two spare mags on the other, or in a kydex paddle-style mag holster on the belt, opposite my strong side.

I use the blackhawk single stack mag holder on my weakside i like a lot for my kahr cw9

Cell phone case with a fold-over top. Cut the foam packing out to fit my mag. Nobody gives a cellphone case on my weak side a second thought.
    There isn't a wall high enough to stop illegal immigrants when the reward on the other side is free health care, jobs, driver's licenses and free college tuition subsidized by American taxpayers.

Leatherman Sheaths

Sheaths and Accessories
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Boy there are a lot of ways to carry a mag. Anyone make a pocket mag carrier made out of the same stuff the Nemesis pocket holster? The closest I have seen the the "Spare Change" pouch that DaveWorkman posted.

Thanks for all the help

Nick

Did a quick search and found that Desantis does make a mag pouch called a Mag-Packer. Looks like it is what I was looking for. Here is a link
    Magazine Pouches : DeSantisHolster.com

mag pouch on weak side...
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Been carrying in my weak side front pocket for years. Last week I pulled it out and found a small piece of paper stuck right in front of the bullets. It fit so perfect it looked like I made and installed it there. Not so good! Gotta get a mag holder that goes IWB. I have an OWB holder but it's not so easy to conceal. It sticks out more than my gun!
    Question Everything!

How do you carry a spare mag?

I carry HK P30 mags (doublestack) and have tried a number of pouches and have likewise been unhappy about how bulky most of them are.

The best I've found so far is the Mitch Rosen 5DM:

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...cessories.html

The design allows it to be pulled tight, it provides a curved rather than boxy profile, and the leather construction allows it to fit to your specific waistline curve.

The Raven Concealment double pouch is probably my second choice. Not too bulky, but not a smooth shape like the 5DM and doesn't flex to fit your curves.

-john

bzdog...thanks for the link

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links