Getting CCW laws changed

Getting CCW laws changed

This is a discussion on Getting CCW laws changed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have experience in getting some CCW laws changed? The NC laws that bother me the most right now are the ones related to carrying ...

Thread: Getting CCW laws changed

Getting CCW laws changed

Anyone have experience in getting some CCW laws changed? The NC laws that bother me the most right now are the ones related to carrying on school property. My daughter attends a private school and most of the time my wife (who does not carry yet!) drops her off in the morning and picks her up in the afternoon. On very rare occasions, I have been called to pick her up in the afternoon. I carry to work everyday and always have my gun with me. It is impractical to swing by home and leave my gun there while I go to get my daughter. I'm thinking about writing to both my Sentators and representatives to see if they can begin the process of getting the law changed. As it stands now, it is a misdemeanor to have a gun on school property loaded or unloaded, concealed or open, locked in a box or not. I think it is a ridiculus to have a CHP process and shackle it like this. Anyone tried getting the law changed and how did you go about it?
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

If we let guns in schools then where will the BGs go for their shooting sprees?

Right now here in NC you cant have a firearm within 1500 feet of a school so the bad guys can have a gun free zone to shoot up our kids.

I will support anything you can do to get that changed. send me a PM and I will sign any petition you have to get this dumb ass lib law changed.

Good luck.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

You mentioned that yours was a private school. I am wondering if the state can exercise jurisdiction over a private school as pertaining any law about CCW. Because the public schools receive public money, the public burocrats can legislate regarding them. You might want to check out if and how they can legislate over the private sector. Just my 2 cents.

---Jeff

VIP Member
    NC must have some sort of grass roots group that worked on the CCW law. In Virginia it was the VCDL. Once we had CHP we worked on the other gun laws. It takes time. It takes patience. It takes more time. It takes a lot of people contacting their elected representatives.

If NC doesn't have a grassroots group are you willing to start one? Keep in mind this will consume all your time and after it has consumed all your time, you will have to put more time into it. You will be attacked from all sides and you will spend any vacation and sick time you may have working on it. You will also spend thousands of your personal dollars on it as well. If you are willing to make that commitment, then proceed.

You need a website. You need to promote the heck out of your group at every gunshow/outdoor show across the state. You need to promote it on every gun forum you can find. You need to find some other people who are as committed as you are to work on the issue when you collapse from exhuastion. You need to be at your state legislature regularly. You need to meet with politicians a lot. You need to find out who can and will help you and who won't. You need to find some people who are willing to put money behind your group unless you have a lot of it you aren't using. Did I mention a good lawyer, you'll need one of those as well.

In the end you need a lot of people who you can communicate with quickly to get the message to your elected reps to change the law. Based on what I've seen in other states expect it to take about 4-5 years.

Good luck.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Check out http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf According to that site, it's a Class I felony to have a loaded gun on school property here in NC. It drops to a misdemeanor if the gun is a) unloaded, locked, and in a vehicle AND b) you are not a student attending class or extracurricular activity.

I know I would love carry when I drop my son off at school. As it is now, I park off of schol grounds, lock up my gun, and walk him to the front door. I'd also love to see the stupid law of no carrying at a place where you can both purchase and comsume alcohol. Seems like a redundant law since you can't drink and carry anyway. It puts a lot of restaurants off limits.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I will start with writing a couple of letters to Senators Dole and Burr and see where it leads. I know it's an uphill battle.

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    I think I will start with writing a couple of letters to Senators Dole and Burr and see where it leads. I know it's an uphill battle.
    If it's state law you want to change, you'll be wanting to talk with your state legislators, rather than your U.S. Senators. As has been mentioned in another thread states can make an exception to the federal gun free school zone law for concealed carry permit holders.

Good point. I'll start there with the representatives.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    What you are looking for is http://www.grnc.org/

This is a very active group and is already working on that issue along with many others like restaurant and park carries.

Rather than start something on your own, get in contact with them and see how you can help.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Thanks PB! That's just is what I was looking for. I'll check it out.

Effective Gun Law Changing Tool...

the voting booth...
    and support NRA/ILA...with $...
    It's a start...and that's how things have changed here in Florida!

Vote early...vote often!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links