Ride height and cant poll

This is a discussion on Ride height and cant poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the past couple of years, I have always wore my IWB low with a cant of about 15 or so degrees. OWB I wear ...

View Poll Results: What ride height and cant do you prefer?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low ride no/low cant

4 3.54%
  • Low ride medium cant

18 15.93%
  • Low ride extreme cant

3 2.65%
  • medium ride no/low cant

14 12.39%
  • medium ride medium cant

33 29.20%
  • medium ride extreme cant

3 2.65%
  • high ride no/low cant

8 7.08%
  • high ride medium cant

25 22.12%
  • high ride extreme cant

5 4.42%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lchamp
  • 1 Post By MamaMaria

Thread: Ride height and cant poll

For the past couple of years, I have always wore my IWB low with a cant of about 15 or so degrees. OWB I wear with a 15 degree cant.

So I received a hybrid style holster for xmas and cant decide what height and cant to wear it.

I am not asking what is the best height and cant because I know ride height and cant come down to personal preference. I was just curious on what you guys/gals prefer. Specifically those that wear their holster around 3-5 o'clock positions.

CJM
    As far as ride height goes, when I made my OWB kydex holster, I placed the rivet spacing so that the belt runs parallel with the trigger guard. Little to no cant is preferred since I carry at 3 O'clock and like to draw straight up and out.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    My preference seems to be dictated by my pants.
    I can't wear my big 'Ol gun belt with dress pants..so it's a bit of a compromise.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Vertical cant won't work with my short torso and hourglass figure. A vertical cant has even very short guns jabbing me in the hip and the ribs. Also, having a short torso means that high ride won't work for me, especially for behind-the-hip carry. It makes drawing too difficult and again, has the gun butt jabbing my ribs.

There can never be a "best" ride & cant, because body types vary so widely. A 6' 2" man with a long, straight torso might give an answer the opposite of mine.

This is an interesting poll, though! Thanks for posting it.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Nobody can tell you what is best for you. Trial and error is the only way. I constantly change height and cant on my new holsters until I find something that works for me. IWB and OWB are different for me.
    DaveH likes this.

VIP Member
    It depends on the gun I'm carrying. My 1911 and my CZ P-01 I prefer high/extreme. My Kahr med/no cant is preferred.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hard to pick just one choice on the poll. I choose med ride/med cant, but it can depend. Personally for me, IWB too high, and something as large as an XD9/Glock19/etc. seems too "top heavy" and unstable. Too low, and a good grip is difficult for a clean draw. Trigger guard parallel to the belt line seems to be the compromise between concealment and access.

My XD9 seems to carry best at a 15-20 degree cant behind the hip (4:00? maybe). Too much more angle, and the base of the longer grip is too high, digging into my ribs while printing way too much. My XD-s, well that's substantially smaller, so it's no problem to carry it however I want. Although I haven't settled on a preferred carry for the XD-s just yet, I'll probably carry it close to the same as the XD-9. As far as muscle memory goes, it just makes sense to keep things similar.
    DaveH likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It depends on the gun I'm carrying. My 1911 and my CZ P-01 I prefer high/extreme. My Kahr med/no cant is preferred.
    I'm kind of the same way. 1911 (large frame) OWB at 4-5:00, I prefer a high ride and a cant; maybe not "extreme". 25-30 degrees?
    PPS or snub nose revolver IWB at 3:00 I prefer lower,but so that I can still get a full grip, and zero cant.

I chose high ride no/low cant. Medium ride with no/low cant also works for me.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

High and tight, vertical if on duty and if conceled with a 15 degree forward cant worn just behind hip. I do not like to carry on the hip off duty or conceled as I would be banging my weapon and holster in to way to much stuff working during the day, and it concels so much better for me behind the hip.

VIP Member
    Looks like I'm the only one voting who likes a low ride with a 20-degree forward cant.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I carry my 1911 with the trigger guard at my belt line and a little bit of forward cant.

I'm with Mike1956. I set my IWB supertuck so that only the handgrip shows above my belt, canted as much as it will go at that height. I can still grab it with a good grip, and it conceals great. It's a little harder to reholster that way, but I really like it for drawing and concealment.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    My choice would be firearm dependent. My EDC is a GLOCK 23 carried AIWB, so medium height with no cant is best for me there. If carrying a 1911 I carry ~ 4:30-5:00 and prefer a medium to high ride and the cant depends on the barrel length, a Govt. gets more than a Commander to get that 5" Bbl. hidden if OWB, if IWB then a standard 15* is fine, something like the Milt Sparks Summer Special II is perfect. Field guns like heavy revolvers carried at 3 don't require cant and height depends on what I am wearing.

VIP Member
    My preference is as low as it can go and I can still get a combat grip on the gun. I prefer 15* cant. I carry at 3:30 or so.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links