Got Made

This is a discussion on Got Made within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll bet that most people are pretty comfortable when they spot a holstered gun on a guy eating in a restaurant with his wife and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Got Made

I'll bet that most people are pretty comfortable when they spot a holstered gun on a guy eating in a restaurant with his wife and 3 year old child. That doesn't sound like a criminal to me.

I carry both IWB and OWB, and I have noticed that OWB is a little less forgiving on the gun "peeking" when your cover garment rides up. If I carry OWB I like a high riding holster on a shorter barrel gun, and make sure my cover garment is fairly long.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    It happens. I keep waiting for this to happen to me. I'm glad it all turned out well.

Glad her husband squelched it...he probably enjoyed the opportunity to take the wind out of her sails.

I lived in Virginia when you could only carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol if you Open Carried. I recall one time with my wife and small kids going to a Texas Roadhouse and doing the Virginia Tuck (cover garment behind the holstered firearm). I was sitting with my right side outwards in the booth. A family sitting at a table just to my right the Wife/Mom sat there (facing me) and gave me the stink eye the entire time we were there. Just staring at me, the gun, me, the gun, etc. I even nodded as to say "Howdy Ma'am" when we made eye contact one time and if looks could kill I would have been a goner. We finished, got our kids coats on, and proceeded to leave. She was whispering to her husband and continuing to stare me down as we left. Her husband could have cared less. I just wanted to say, "Lady, if I were up to no good, would I be sitting here with my little kids drinking tea and eating a steak?" Probably the same thing her old man told her. It seems people are much more afraid of an average citizen with a gun than a criminal (because they don't believe they will ever personally encounter a criminal).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Don't be mad with yourself, think of it this way. You just had an opportunity to show gun onwers are not the kill crazy maniacs that the media and politicians portray us to be. You showed her that gun onwers are responsible decent folks that prepare themselves not to be victims. You did very well in my opinion. Had that been me and my wife, my wife would have said, "Most cops carry off-duty" or something like that.
    I was a little upset, I normally try my best to stay concealed. But you make a good point that not all crazy guys with guns kill people.
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Glad her husband squelched it...he probably enjoyed the opportunity to take the wind out of her sails.

I lived in Virginia when you could only carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol if you Open Carried. I recall one time with my wife and small kids going to a Texas Roadhouse and doing the Virginia Tuck (cover garment behind the holstered firearm). I was sitting with my right side outwards in the booth. A family sitting at a table just to my right the Wife/Mom sat there (facing me) and gave me the stink eye the entire time we were there. Just staring at me, the gun, me, the gun, etc. I even nodded as to say "Howdy Ma'am" when we made eye contact one time and if looks could kill I would have been a goner. We finished, got our kids coats on, and proceeded to leave. She was whispering to her husband and continuing to stare me down as we left. Her husband could have cared less. I just wanted to say, "Lady, if I were up to no good, would I be sitting here with my little kids drinking tea and eating a steak?" Probably the same thing her old man told her. It seems people are much more afraid of an average citizen with a gun than a criminal (because they don't believe they will ever personally encounter a criminal).
    If you could of saw her face, it was priceless.

GH
    It hasn't happened to me yet. I expect it will sooner or later but in WI it's not a problem legally. I always try to wear holsters that match the color of the color of the clothing. Do they make any holsters in plaid? lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Got Made

I have been made once or twice. One time I had a man ask me, are you a good guy or bad? I just smiled and said, if I was bad do you think we would be having this conversation? He just laughed and said Touché.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lessoned learned and move on. Everything is a learning experience.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    No big deal in Kentucky. We're an OC - CC - state. I don't worry at all about printing - OC or CC. Quit sweating the little stuff. There is too much big stuff to worry about without worrying about the little stuff. You'll drive yourself crazy.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro - Gave it to my Daughter to carry.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro Duotone 13+1.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 HC Pro Duotone 17+1.
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think far more people are unconcerned about a holstered gun than are concerned.
    I respectfully disagree with you Old Vet. I think in light of what has been happening lately, people are far more inclined to call the cops or gasp at the sight of any gun, holstered or not. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Re: Got Made

I totally thought this was a mob promotion thread. What a letdown.
    Last edited by Brad426; December 30th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
    iguanadon and bigwill72 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Most people could care less. Probably assume your supposed to have it. I just casually cover up and go about my business.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds dearly the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    At least you weren't seen with a Glock. THAT would be embarrassing.
    (Hey, I've got nothing against Glocks. I just like to poke the bear with a stick.)
    facebook-unlike-button1.jpg
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

I see it as a "good thing" ..... you surely caused that couple next to you to have a conversation and her husband explain it to her. Also, you just let a people know that someone with a gun, wasn't a danger ...... to anyone.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by goober45 View Post
    I was a little upset, I normally try my best to stay concealed. But you make a good point that not all crazy guys with guns kill people.
    So you're crazy now?! That comment had me laughing...

Austin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links