New here, and need some help on what to buy!

This is a discussion on New here, and need some help on what to buy! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this sight back in Jan. and pop in to read some good info now and then. I thought I would make my first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New here, and need some help on what to buy!

Thumbs up New here, and need some help on what to buy!

I found this sight back in Jan. and pop in to read some good info now and then. I thought I would make my first post asking for some opinions. I received my carry permit last year and my carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I am sure like many, I am looking for another carry gun. I would like a lighter gun more for summer. I personally like IWB better for summer.
    So my situation is I been looking for a S&W Shield. I have always liked the feel of the M&Ps so I figured the shield would be exactly what I wanted. But I can not find one. I look on the different forums and youtube to get info and comparisons. I know am more confused on what i want or think I want. I seen some comparisons of the Shield and M&P 9c. Just a bit bigger but more rounds. Should I look more into the M&P9c or continue to wait on shield? If I go with the concept of M&P 9c another choice that interests me is the Glock 26. Just not sure what direction I want to go in...
    Then I seen the Kahr PM9 and the Ruger LC9! Another great pair of guns in the category I am shopping for. Even more confused! Any help here?
    Jamie

the shield is a great gun! i find that the safty is a little hard to use and be repetitive with as its not like any safety ive used. i think that the safety should not be there. but other than that its a great shooter. they are becoming easier to get too! my local shop get 5-6 a week and are $471.00 out the door.

IMO there is a big difference in single stack and double as far as "summer carry" When I was last gun shopping I was trying to decide between the Shield, the M&P 9c and the XDsc. I went with the XD and love it, but after carrying it for the last 6 months or so, I plan on buying a Shield for summer carry as soon as I get a few more pennies saved. I can and do carry the thicker gun, but certainly with more effort. I had an LC9 before and LOVED how easy it was to conceal, but for me I didn't love the trigger pull - many have no complaints there.

There are many great choices out there. IMO if you really like the Shield and you already have a carry gun, place an order and be patient. Or even better, rent the ones you can - I know I was able to rent the M&P, the Glock 26 and the XDsc which were all ones I was considering. You may even be able to find the LC9 as a rental since its been out awhile. That may help narrow it down for you.

Long story short, I bought a thicker, more rounds gun after considering the Shield and still find myself planning to buy a Shield in another month or two...

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    If a shield is what you want, you shouldn't settle for anything else, it's not easy to wait, but if you can't find one that's what I'd recommend doing, it's worth it in the end. ;)
    Brad426 and atctimmy like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I'm beginning to think the Shield is some kind of urban mythological unicorn. Its pictures are strewn around the internet, many have claimed to have seen one, and some even claim to own them, lol! I feel your pain, try finding an XD-s in Northeast Wisconsin. I think there's only one--MINE! Only you can decide if waiting is worth it. It's hard to say if the Shields will become more available, and when. Perhaps if the rumored XD-s in 9mm and .40 are announced at SHOT show next month, people will be trading in their Shields for the next "greatest, newest" pocket pistol.

Since you're accustomed to the 1911 trigger, you may not like the Kahr and Ruger LC9 triggers (long and heavy pull). Since you're familiar with the single action of the 1911, have you considered a Sig P238 or P938? Similar manual of arms to the 1911, in a tiny little package. I liked my P238 very much when I had it, I just like .45ACP more.
    .45acpguy likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Hello and welcome from the Gulf Coast.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    If a shield is what you want, you shouldn't settle for anything else, it's not easy to wait, but if you can't find one that's what I'd recommend doing, it's worth it in the end. ;)
    What he said. And welcome.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Think about stainless steel to combat rust. The Sig 290 or Kahr PM9. But you can't beat a subcompact Glock and I have never seen one with rust on them.

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

If you already have the Kimber (.45), take the time to look and 'hold' the Glock-36...you may be surprised.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Cut straight to the chase and get yourself a Glock 19.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Cut straight to the chase and get yourself a Glock 19.
    Seriously. What he said.

I didn't mention that I was in the market for 2 guns. The second is a Glock 19. It's a little larger then my Kimber, maybe lighter, and holds more rounds.
    With my earlier question, know one thinks more rounds, little thicker and a few oz heavier (M&PC OR Glock 26) better then shield for IWB summer carry?

[QUOTE=retsupt99;2518009]If you already have the Kimber (.45), take the time to look and 'hold' the Glock-36...you may be surprised.[/QUOTE ]

I have not held or seen a 36. How would they compare?
    Last edited by ruttinbuck; December 31st, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

Compared to the Kimber UCII, the M&PC and Glock 26 are going to be pretty similar in size (although actually thicker, double stack) and weight (when loaded). I'm not sure there would be an improvement over the Kimber concerning a summer carry. I'll let retsupt99 answer about the size of the Glock 36, he's far more experienced than me in that dept.

I think you're on the right track with your initial choice in a lighter carry piece. A slim, single stack, sub compact seems to be your leading choice. I'm sticking to my guns with my initial opinion (wait for Shield, look at the XD-s, or even the similar Glock 36, and peek at the P238/938 from Sig).
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

VIP Member
    I agree with the guys who said just wait on your M&P Shield. If that is what you want and you don't get, you'll just end up getting one six months from now.

As an aside I'll suggest looking at a Kahr CW9. It's a very nice pistol and a direct competitor with the Shield. Give it a look.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links