Missouri to Virginia-permit

This is a discussion on Missouri to Virginia-permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, just joined and I've got a question about ccw permits for you. I just got my paperwork in for the Missouri ccw, I'm ...

Thread: Missouri to Virginia-permit

Hey guys, just joined and I've got a question about ccw permits for you.
    I just got my paperwork in for the Missouri ccw, I'm in the military and am moving to Virginia
    Now, will Virginia honor my ccw permit from Missouri? Or will I have to get a new one upon moving there? If
    Virginia accepts it, is there anyone I have I notify, or am I just free to do as I would in Missouri?
    Also, does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive overview of all Virginia gun laws?
    Any reply appreciated- craig

For a good overview of laws, start at handgunlaw.us It has links to the actual laws and other state information sources as well.

As to your situation, biggest thing to check is if MO permit will continue to be valid when you leave the state. Is MO your home state (DL, voting, etc.)?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    For a good overview of laws, start at handgunlaw.us It has links to the actual laws and other state information sources as well.

As to your situation, biggest thing to check is if MO permit will continue to be valid when you leave the state. Is MO your home state (DL, voting, etc.)?
    Yes my home of record is in Missouri.

VIP Member
    Virginia does honor MO permits, so that shouldn't be a problem. You might want to look into getting a VA permit though. There is no minimum residence requirement in VA. Your MO permit will suffice for the required training, the cost is $50.00 for a 5 year permit. They have 45 days to issue or deny. If it has not been issued in 45 days they must issue you a temporary permit.

Where in VA are you going to be stationed?

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me with them. If I don't know the answer, I can research it and get an answer for you.

BTW- Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    It looks like you'll be able to carry in VA, Craig. That is just about everywhere except on a Military installation, lol.

Thanks for your service.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

If you are stationed in VA, then Virginia will consider you a resident and allow you to apply for a resident CHP.

Sponsored Links