Any women carry while running?

This is a discussion on Any women carry while running? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife use a fanny pack....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Any women carry while running?

My wife use a fanny pack.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just read your thread and am sorry for hijack. Just tight clothes and women running makes me forget about the subject of the thread. Do think that the fanny pack sounds about as good as it can get. Back to my hijack--when I see a woman running I would not even know she had on a fanny pack. Sorry but you said chime in. Dirty old man signing off.

Quote Originally Posted by sriddle13 View Post
    My fitness has suffered ever since my best friend's cousin was murdered while on a run. I want to be able to carry while I run, but I wear tight
    fitting clothes most of the year. Are there any women (men feel free to chime in) who carry while running?
    Yep. I have a Pistol Wear PT-One BellyBand and carry my Sig P238 in it. Works great. Conceals nicely under the heavier clothing I have wear this time of year (10 degrees during my run this morning) and I tend to wear looser fitting tops in the summer. With my figure, tight doesn't work so well for me.

Even with tighter fitting clothes, I think a BellyBand would work well. It completely covers the gun, so even if others can see something is under your shirt, they will have no idea what it is. Here's a link to the website.

Pistol Wear - Comfortable Concealment Holsters For Concealed Carry

You could eschew the running since it has negligible health benefits and can destroy your joints over time. Maybe you could look into a different mode of exercise to improve your fitness that doesn't have you running outdoors by yourself. I'd suggest high-intensity weight training. Far superior to jogging and can be done in a fraction of the time.

I'll stop hijacking this thread but I'll be glad to give you more information if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    You could eschew the running since it has negligible health benefits and can destroy your joints over time. Maybe you could look into a different mode of exercise to improve your fitness that doesn't have you running outdoors by yourself. I'd suggest high-intensity weight training. Far superior to jogging and can be done in a fraction of the time.

I'll stop hijacking this thread but I'll be glad to give you more information if you're interested.
    Did it occur to you folks run because we like it? Wife and I do a 50 mile ultra marathong, 2 or 3 marathons, and a few 10K's through out the year. Son also runs in races with us.

Anyway, wife and I don't run and carry. Just do a risk assesment where we run. Both are trained in H2H and wife carrie's pepper spray. She and I tried different methods but figured it just does not work while doing 10 + miles runs.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

amphi1.JPGamphi2.JPGamphi3.JPG

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! In case anyone else is having a similar dilemma, I thought I would let you know what I settled on. The images are from the Amphipod
    RunLite AirStretch Trail waist pack. It comes with the water flasks and has an extra pocket that I can carry my phone, keys, etc.

I have gone running with my 238 in a bellyband, and once I got it adjusted just right it worked fine. No bouncing, no digging. It just took a few tries to get the position just right.

I forgot the bellyband at home once and actually put the 238 in its Remora inside my sports bra. Less than ideal, obviously, but it stayed put and with a black shirt the shape wasn't ridiculously noticeable.

I JUST ordered a Smartcarry. Feels pretty secure; I walked, bounced, twisted, etc. moving around the house wearing jeans & sweatpants, and I think it will stay in place really well underneath a pair of running shorts/capris. I have yet to try it though. Maybe tomorrow.

VIP Member
    This is what my wife uses.

http://www.flashbangholster.com/
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    Here's a cute, sporty fanny pack that doesn't scream "I'm hiding a gun in here." Concealed Carry Fanny Pack Pistol Pouch | Official 5.11 Site
    Attachment 66069
    I wish there were more fanny pack options that were smaller... think, J-frame or PM9, with a pocket for a cell phone and driver's license/CCW permit, and that's about it. I've never been able to run with a gigantic pack attached to me.
    Hakkaa päälle!

MamaMaria, both of those options are good. I use the Pistolwear holster for a PM9, and it works well. It feels like the gun is going to fall out, but it wont, and you get used to it. What i'll never get used to is actually running. I do it so I dont die so early, but I hate every step. I prefer mtn. biking. I dont carry on the bike though...i've broken enough ribs without having the butt of a 9mm do more damage

Verdict: Smart carry works pretty well. More comfortable than the belly band, no bouncing or moving. My only complaint is the edges of the velcro rubbed a little, but I can fix that at home. Room for spare mag, phone, key & ID on the other side.

light carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    Look into a Ruger LCP .380. Very small, light and THIN gun. The newer .380 HP loads are about as powerful as a .38. I carry mine in like an $8 clip on nylon "Taigear" holster. Only downside is being next to your skin it will rust easily. If I have to shoot someone with it, they aren't going to care if my slide is rusty on the outside.

For jogging you might want to consider an IWB with a retention strap.

I looked into one of those, too, when I bought my first handgun, and didn't like the heaviness of the trigger pull. I went with a Diamondback .380. It's exactly the same size and weight as an LCP, but the trigger pull seemed much smoother to me. Just throwing that out there for what it's worth.

Consider carrying a can of pepper spray for your first defense and then the gun after the perp is stopped with that. Trying to draw a gun as some guy is rushing out of the bushes is iffy at best. Use the spray first and then draw the gun. Get spray that shoots a stream, not a mist. I use the Sabre brand myself, also have a Kimber Pepper Blaster. Can't have too much pepper spray!! Stay away from areas the provide obvious cover for a rapist, DON'T jog with your iPhone pumping music into your ears, practice situational awareness at ALL times, take a friend or large dog along with you, learn Kyusho self defense. There's LOTS of things you can do to increase your personal security.

Quote Originally Posted by asldkjfqwoifqwo View Post
    Consider carrying a can of pepper spray for your first defense and then the gun after the perp is stopped with that. Trying to draw a gun as some guy is rushing out of the bushes is iffy at best. Use the spray first and then draw the gun. Get spray that shoots a stream, not a mist. I use the Sabre brand myself, also have a Kimber Pepper Blaster. Can't have too much pepper spray!! Stay away from areas the provide obvious cover for a rapist, DON'T jog with your iPhone pumping music into your ears, practice situational awareness at ALL times, take a friend or large dog along with you, learn Kyusho self defense. There's LOTS of things you can do to increase your personal security.
    And don't forget to have fun LOL...
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links