Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

This is a discussion on Hypothetical situation - what would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 Follow him and see what transpires. There will be plenty of MWAG calls without me adding mine. You say that, but ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Follow him and see what transpires. There will be plenty of MWAG calls without me adding mine.
    You say that, but how many times have we heard of something going down in public and no one does anything, even calling police? I'd call, then follow at a long distance to see what went down.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

TOF
    Add a SWAT or POLICE lable to the vest and now what??? Do you assume they are undercover and ignore them?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Northnick View Post
    I was reading the story on the Clackamas Mall shooting and it got me thinking.

If I have the story right this guy walks through a Macy's with an AK (or AR), I am assuming slung, in a hood with a hockey mask and MOLLE vest on. Some people noticed him and thought it was a costume. You know the rest of the story... (even how a guy with a ccw arguably helped end it)

My question is...your there,by yourself with your CCW, and see the guy walking through the store. What do you do?

My first inclination is to follow him to see what he is up to. The other thought is to get the heck out of there.

I am interested in what you would do.

Nick
    I know this will draw a lot of flack, but I have to say it. In the original poster's scenario, where is the illegality of what the observed person is doing?

Where is the justification for "take him out," or grabbing a table leg and swinging away?

I know it would be a very unsettling sight, but I feel my only responsibility would be to make the 911 MWAG call and get out of Dodge. If I were to observe that same individual ready his firearm for use, or actually begin shooting his firearm, then my reaction would undoubtedly be quite different. If I were real lucky, I would retain my bodily functions and attempt to convince the shooter to stop shooting, even if it took all 15 rounds.

My point is that my involvement ends with reporting what I have observed, unless the other party chooses to involve me.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I don't know what I would do if I were in the situation of potentially acting preemptively in a case like this. That's a tough one. Calling 911 is certainly high on the list. I would also want to see my family safe first. I can't really see doing NOTHING either, though, once my family members are safe. Many people in those environments would be completely oblivious to this sort of thing developing until it's too late, and IMO those with enough situational awareness to see something coming shouldn't hold contempt for those that don't have that ability.

This is a situation where what you are really talking about is being the one to take the first aggressive action against someone who is obviously up to no good, but hasn't actually DONE anything yet. This could lead you to a very murky place legally. I think relying on the "reasonable man" standard gets more and more scary to me as our society and culture get more and more dumbed down on what constitutes "reasonable". Unfortunately, I think that if you decide to stay and try to do something, you are somewhat constrained in what you can do until the BG actually shows his cards. Like I said, that's a tough one.

To desire to try to protect those around you that are more helpless than you is not always synonymous with being a wannabe cop or cowboy. Sometimes it's just being a decent person and being a good American.

Once again, I'm not saying I would try to help or try to do anything. I wouldn't know until I was there. Lets also not jump on the bandwagon, though, of being too quick to condemn those that care enough about their fellow men to not let them be victims of another wackjob, even when those fellow men are random strangers. That used to be something we valued in this society once upon a time.

I would definitely call 911 then stay far away. If he starts shooting I would get the heck out of there.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I am liking the responses I'm seeing. Looks as if most of us has thought this through, that is call the pro's keep the subject in sight.

Dosen't look like anyone that is on this board that carrys a handgun wants to hurry into a gunfight with a rifleman.

Sensible approach I'd say.

Shooting in a mall would suck because there are too many people around. I would hate to be in a situation where you must take a head shot (because of the body armor) and there are tons of people around to absorb your stray bullets. I avoid malls whenever I can. My plan has always been to get the heck out of there and call 911. If not, then at least start searching for cover to shoot from. Don’t just stand out in the open and start shooting because you will get mowed down with that AR.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not sure if OP is saying we are there at the time of "that" mall shooting, or if we happen to be in "a" mall in Anytown, Anystate, USA.

But playing Devil's Advocate, as I so often do, is OC legal there? (Forget for a moment whether guns are banned at malls or if signs carry legal weight. Let's not load this down with "What Ifs.") Has the person done anything suspicious? Or he merely carrying a gun?

Isn't making a MWAG call to 911 exactly what we all view as an infringement of 2A rights? (Not making a call on dumb things to do here.) Are you going to be that person who, in a panic, calls 911 and starts that felony stop by LEOs, detainment and S/N running of legal firearms, etc., all when this person has done nothing wrong?

Just something to think about. It could just as easily be someone else spotting your gun and making that call.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Take pics with cell and feed info to 911 along with discription of myself and location

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm not sure if OP is saying we are there at the time of "that" mall shooting, or if we happen to be in "a" mall in Anytown, Anystate, USA.

But playing Devil's Advocate, as I so often do, is OC legal there? (Forget for a moment whether guns are banned at malls or if signs carry legal weight. Let's not load this down with "What Ifs.") Has the person done anything suspicious? Or he merely carrying a gun?

Isn't making a MWAG call to 911 exactly what we all view as an infringement of 2A rights? (Not making a call on dumb things to do here.) Are you going to be that person who, in a panic, calls 911 and starts that felony stop by LEOs, detainment and S/N running of legal firearms, etc., all when this person has done nothing wrong?

Just something to think about. It could just as easily be someone else spotting your gun and making that call.
    He was asking what we would do if we saw a guy that looked like the dude in the mall
    If I have the story right this guy walks through a Macy's with an AK (or AR), I am assuming slung, in a hood with a hockey mask and MOLLE vest on. Some people noticed him and thought it was a costume. You know the rest of the story... (even how a guy with a ccw arguably helped end it)

My question is...your there,by yourself with your CCW, and see the guy walking through the store. What do you do?
    I would think this could warrant a MWAG call. Same thing if someone is walking up and down a street for 8 hours straight and each time he gets to the end he lays down on his back and prays to the Smurf gods for a bountiful harvest. Nothing illegal there but I would say that would warrant a call to the police.

And I have been at the receiveing end of a MWAG call OC'ing in NH by a recent transplant from Massachusetts...so I have been there.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Lots of info in this thread: Mall Shooting What Would You Do?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Watch and wait...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I would approch said subject from behind and gently ask him what he is doing. When he turns around I will stick my CCW badge in his face and ask him to leave or I will call mall security.
    How does that sound?
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I would approch said subject from behind and gently ask him what he is doing. When he turns around I will stick my CCW badge in his face and ask him to leave or I will call mall security.
    How does that sound?
    Very Foolish .
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    How does that sound?
    Agreed very foolish. Where did you get the ccw badge? As far as I knew no state was issuing those so it's as good as the badge I got in the Cracker Jack box.
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links