Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

This is a discussion on Hypothetical situation - what would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by high pockets I know this will draw a lot of flack, but I have to say it. In the original poster's scenario, ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I know this will draw a lot of flack, but I have to say it. In the original poster's scenario, where is the illegality of what the observed person is doing?

Where is the justification for "take him out," or grabbing a table leg and swinging away?

I know it would be a very unsettling sight, but I feel my only responsibility would be to make the 911 MWAG call and get out of Dodge. If I were to observe that same individual ready his firearm for use, or actually begin shooting his firearm, then my reaction would undoubtedly be quite different. If I were real lucky, I would retain my bodily functions and attempt to convince the shooter to stop shooting, even if it took all 15 rounds.

My point is that my involvement ends with reporting what I have observed, unless the other party chooses to involve me.
    My mistake was assuming he had gone beyond just a MWAG. DR

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I may be in the minority here but if I saw a man with an AK wearing a molle vest and a hockey mask walking through Sears, the food court or anywhere else in the mall. I would go to code red immediately. If I had the ability I would put him down. IMO it would certainly qualify as a soon to be mass shooter. I think the "reasonable man" could only conclude that this was a murderer on his way to do murder. BANG!

From a tactical standpoint I would do my best to not blow my cover until I could shoot him multiple times in the back from as close as possible.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

This may come across as the reply of an old grouch (which the family says I am), but......

I expect we would all call the cavalry. After that......

I know you can see it in your head, your local mall, but it's in your head, from the safety of your house. Just like the slouched guy in the hoodie on that dark street walking toward you. You have all the stress free time in the world to form a plan in the easy chair.

Chances are, in real time you won't have any time.

Other than my house, I make no plans and I envision no scenarios. If the wheels come off, it will not be like anything I have envisioned. And it will be fast. All you can do is stay sharp.

Heroes all have one thing in common: they had no intention of being heroes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    You say that, but how many times have we heard of something going down in public and no one does anything, even calling police? I'd call, then follow at a long distance to see what went down.
    The OP asked what I would do, not what I have heard about other people doing, or not doing.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitBri View Post
    Agreed very foolish. Where did you get the ccw badge? As far as I knew no state was issuing those so it's as good as the badge I got in the Cracker Jack box.
    The Cracker Jack box is basically where CCW badges come from. They are available OTC, along with CCW sashes. They are not highly thought of here or anywhere else where people think.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I would approch said subject from behind and gently ask him what he is doing. When he turns around I will stick my CCW badge in his face and ask him to leave or I will call mall security.
    How does that sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckinbutch View Post
    Very Foolish .
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitBri View Post
    Agreed very foolish. Where did you get the ccw badge? As far as I knew no state was issuing those so it's as good as the badge I got in the Cracker Jack box.
    I say, that was a joke son! A Joke I say!
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

if i was alone, i would try to get very close behind him to take him out, i would probably try to tackle him and disarm him, and yes he has already broken the law in my state. wearing masks on any other day other than holloween. what reasonble person would think he didn't have evil intentions?
    atctimmy likes this.

Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

If I see something or someone that I feel is suspicious...I put as much space and cover as possible between myself/family and the potential BG. No I won't follow him or confront him. My first rule of a gun fight is to avoid a gun fight whenever possible.

Hey you looking for customer service, you have a warrantee problem with that?
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

First find good cover and seek an exit. If its an easy exit, i might stay under good cover and observe and report what i see to 911.If i can go from cover to cover and follow and observe od do that.I would go until i find my safe exit opportunity diminishes.A guy with a rifle beats me and my subcompact, because he would have range, however if this guy is excuting people up and down the hall i would hope i could return fire enough to be of use to those people.Of course in such a situation everything happens super fast and mentaly super slow so these are just thoughts sitting down here with little adrenaline pumping through me. It may pay more and be better that i safely help others out the exit to saftey while providing some amount of cover for them..Simple basic rules i would follow because they are solid things you can remember to do in such a horrible event. Seek cover,secure an exit, provide any assistance,report all that i see.

VIP Member
    Dial 911 while running the opposite direction... I practice this. YMMV

saying i was with my fiance and daughter (shes 3) they love malls. it would be pretty nerve racking for them and me to here an ak or ar rounds shooting off indoors. i would have her call 911 while i look for an exit, if we couldn't make it to one safely and never splitting up!. if not we would get into a corner that i could use to my advantage and use myself and my fiance as body shields to protect are daughter we would wait it out if he came close enough to us and only if i was confident i could get a good shot at him then id shoot for chest up and dump my whole clip assuming everyone else around would be crouched so i wouldn't hit any innocent people. if that didn't happen we would stay in corner i'm not going to be a hero and have my daughter grow up with out a father. hope it never happens to us or anyone else again..
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by runningscott View Post
    if i was alone, i would try to get very close behind him to take him out, i would probably try to tackle him and disarm him, and yes he has already broken the law in my state. wearing masks on any other day other than holloween. what reasonble person would think he didn't have evil intentions?
    Yep , you and my former Marine buddy Cunningham :
    Cunningham was in line at the fuel desk at the PILOT truckstop in Paulsboro ,NJ to pay for the fuel he had just pumped in his rig .Henoticed that the 'greasy looking dude with the greasy dreadlocks' in front of him holding Twinkies in one hand and a super size coffee in the other was packing . Marine Corps took over ! Don't Think ! ACT!
    260 lbs of Cunningham screamed GUN! and tackled the 150lb scumbag . They knocked over 4 display racks and scattered customers everywhere . Cunningham got him to the floor and secured the weapon . That's when he felt the cold muzzle of a 9mm against his temple and heard the command "DON'T MOVE".
    Next question was directed to the perp under Cunningham . "What's going on, Bernie?" "Get this big s.o.b. off me and we'll figure this out ."
    The two undercover narc's were very reasonable about the whole situation when it was sorted out . They respected him for wanting to be a hero and didn't take him to jail . The PILOT manager didn't ask for compensation for damages from the 'wannabe hero'. AND he didn't get his head blown off for instigating a situation because he didn't think .
    Hope this long post got a point across .

Don't go in Malls.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I am not a cop and don't have dog in the fight! MEANING, you carry for you. want to act like a cop you are going to jail! call it in,,stay and observe,,your judgement. Do not be the first to act. You carry for personal protection period!

Larry
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links