Hypothetical situation - what would you do? - Page 6

Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

This is a discussion on Hypothetical situation - what would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The next day, investigators conclude that the masked man with a gun had been rigged with a bomb vest by his captors to explode unless ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

VIP Member
    The next day, investigators conclude that the masked man with a gun had been rigged with a bomb vest by his captors to explode unless he walked through the mall without stopping or speaking. Who woulda thunk?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Command presence???
    In the continuum of force I'm used to, "command presence" is that ability to project your voice, and present yourself as "in charge". Loud, forceful, no nonsense commands, that are not easily misunderstood "Do Not Move!, Show me your hands!, etc". In these situations you don't ask, you order. Command presence, soft techniques, hard techniques, deadly force, is how I remember the Use of Force Continuum. Use only that force necessary to control the situation, no more, no less.

As for the other comment by pittpat21, I'd not want to be sure the word got out to all the responders, that I was the good guy, with this BG on the ground. If the BG is proned correctly, with his palms out and his arms away from his body, all I have to do is watch him. If he moves as if to present another weapon, or attack me, my pistol is out again, and ready to address the threat. Again, this is my personal preference, and I wouldn't argue with your chosen course, if that's what works for you.

Be safe ya'll.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    In the continuum of force I'm used to, "command presence" is that ability to project your voice, and present yourself as "in charge". Loud, forceful, no nonsense commands, that are not easily misunderstood "Do Not Move!, Show me your hands!, etc". In these situations you don't ask, you order. Command presence, soft techniques, hard techniques, deadly force, is how I remember the Use of Force Continuum. it. Use only that force necessary to control the situation, no more, no less.

As for the other comment by pittpat21, I'd not want to be sure the word got out to all the responders, that I was the good guy, with this BG on the ground. If the BG is proned correctly, with his palms out and his arms away from his body, all I have to do is watch him. If he moves as if to present another weapon, or attack me, my pistol is out again, and ready to address the threat. Again, this is my personal preference, and I wouldn't argue with your chosen course, if that's what works for you.

Be safe ya'll.
    But what if you get the Boehner response and he keeps walking. Shoot him in the back?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

My new nickname would be flash because I'd be gone so fast the cameras wouldn't even be able to keep up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    But what if you get the Boehner response and he keeps walking. Shoot him in the back?
    We can "what if" this thing until the cows come home, but I'll try to answer this particular one, because it is a reasonable possibility, given the hypothetical. The subject could have an MP3 player and ear buds in, which would prevent him from hearing my commands I suppose, or he could be deaf, or so whacked out on something that he couldn't hear me. If he just doesn't understand English, he would certainly understand the tone of my commands.

I'm not going to back shoot anyone, unless there is absolutely no way to avoid it, and/or they are actually engaged in committing an atrocious felony, and it's the only shot that presents itself. If he just acted like he didn't hear me, and continued walking, I'd move on up the use of force continuum (UOFC), which would probably (in this case) skip soft techniques, and right into hard techniques. I'd put him on the ground forcibly, and disarm him. I don't recommend this for any of you without training and experience, but I'm telling you what I would do. I would hold out the use of deadly force, the top rung in the UOFC, until I had no other choice.

In this instance I would also handcuff him, after disarming him, and leave him on his belly till the cops arrived. And yes, I do still carry handcuffs, even though I'm retired. I've found a couple of pairs of soft cuffs (like shoelaces) are handy to have in a pocket, and they weigh nothing. Been carrying them for years.

Hope this answers your question. Now we'll address the "what if he's actually wearing a bunny rabbit suit?" Nah, we won't. LOL Ya'll be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

ArmedLady
    If I see someone the OP described, the alarm bells would go off and I'd immediately leave, taking as many customers as possible with me, prevent others from entering if possible, and call 911. I would let the professionals deal with the BG.

Wow I had no idea this would get to six pages. But it is a good discussion. It is good to think about these things a bit so when/ if it happens you don't have as many decisions to make.

This is a tough one especially when you hear this shooting was ended, arguably, when a CCW pulled his weapon Media blackout: Oregon mall shooter was stopped by an armed citizen - Virginia Beach Conservative | Examiner.com

When I was at Front Sight they had a speaker during lunch one day. He laid out a scenario then said "stand up when you would shoot". The scenario was you are at a conventiontion and a guy walks in with a shogun (a few people stand up). He starts tumbling rounds into the magazine (some more stand up), and racks the slide (I stood up with some more people), flips off the safety and levels the gun. By that point we all were standing up. Very interesting to see responses to scenario.

Back to the OP, if I had any family / friends with me I would get them all out of there while dialing 911. If I was by myself, as originally stated, I think I would call 911 and start to follow him at a distance. If he goes active, then so do I. Not going cowboy, but it would be tough to see in the news that people were killed and I had the means to stop it.

I am not engaging anyone until I know as many fact as to convices me what his intentions are.

Nick
    Lnafree likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links