Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

This is a discussion on Hypothetical situation - what would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading the story on the Clackamas Mall shooting and it got me thinking. If I have the story right this guy walks through ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hypothetical situation - what would you do?

I was reading the story on the Clackamas Mall shooting and it got me thinking.

If I have the story right this guy walks through a Macy's with an AK (or AR), I am assuming slung, in a hood with a hockey mask and MOLLE vest on. Some people noticed him and thought it was a costume. You know the rest of the story... (even how a guy with a ccw arguably helped end it)

My question is...your there,by yourself with your CCW, and see the guy walking through the store. What do you do?

My first inclination is to follow him to see what he is up to. The other thought is to get the heck out of there.

I am interested in what you would do.

Nick

I would call 911 first off. If I am there with my young kids my primary job would be to get them to safety. If I'm alone I might be more cowboy-ish.
    kerberos, Lish, Darrow75 and 8 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Follow him and see what transpires. There will be plenty of MWAG calls without me adding mine.
    Anubis likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Never will be a hero with my ccw. Leave and dial 911. As long as my family and I are safe that's all I'm worried about. I don't carry to protect everyone. Plus if you do play hero and end up shooting the bad guy with a gun still have to mess with the after effects which might include hefty attorney fees to defend myself which would hurt my family financially. Everyone has the same option to carry as I and can protect themselves

VIP Member
    First of all, I DO NOT do malls. If I encountered the situation though, I'd make the 911 call and get myself to safety. Let Gecko45 handle the situation.
    kerberos and Moops like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhitBri View Post
    Never will be a hero with my ccw. Leave and dial 911. As long as my family and I are safe that's all I'm worried about. I don't carry to protect everyone. Plus if you do play hero and end up shooting the bad guy with a gun still have to mess with the after effects which might include hefty attorney fees to defend myself which would hurt my family financially. Everyone has the same option to carry as I and can protect themselves
    I think this is well stated and agree with it. My primary reason for carry is to protect myself and my family from a direct threat of bodily harm. If I see a possible threat I will first try to move away from it or take cover. I will only draw and fire as a last resort when I fear for my life. I am sure not a free lance cop that seeks out danger or tries to act pre-emptively against criminal activity.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Yeah, there's no easy decision there. I carry to protect myself and my family. IMO, everyone who can, should carry for the same reason. My primary concern would be securing the safety of my family, which would mean getting as far away as possible as quickly as possible. I think one more MWAG report is better than one less, though, so I'd dial 911 while evacuating and try and provide as much useful information as possible. While I have no desire to see anyone lose their life, as stated above, it's not my job to provide security for anyone besides myself and those I love.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

PM
    By my self might take the guy out. After the 911 call "man with a gun in vest and mask". In Ks with the ar/ak I can assume that he is there to use it and not wish someone a happy birthday and give them the gun as a gift. Note that at no time did I say my gun was 1) on my person 2) out of the holster 3) that I needed to use said gun to stop the threat!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitBri View Post
    New member with brains aplenty! Thanks

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    "IF" My family was out of harms way, I would use what ever I had available to prevent him from harming anyone. If I had a table leg or a baseball bat and found myself in range Id swing. If I had my family all with me and there was a shooting at the far side of the mall, I'm ducking out the nearest exit with the family in tow. So it all depends.... DR

I honestly don't know what I'd do - IF my kids were not with me. If they were my only objective is to get them to safety. I don't carry for anyone else but myself and my family, that's true - but could I stand by while innocent people are killed? I don't know that I could hit the dirt and wait it out or escape, knowing that innocent people are being slaughtered while I have a fully functional firearm on my hip. A lot of it would depend on if I had a good shot, what's going on at the moment, etc. I have no illisions of playing the hero or being Rambo. But I know I can't give a final "this is what I would do" without being in the situation. My mind goes back to the guy in the wheelchair recently stabbed in McDonalds in Orlando - why didn't anyone do anything?! Then I have to ask, would I have done anything? If I would do something for him, why not at the mall - the best I can say is I have no idea what I would do until faced with the situation, no matter how many different scenarios I play in my head.

I'd use your phone & keep your eyes peeled. The next course of action could go several directions. You have to be careful who else is around, you could get shot too.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I honestly don't know what I'd do - IF my kids were not with me. If they were my only objective is to get them to safety. I don't carry for anyone else but myself and my family, that's true - but could I stand by while innocent people are killed? I don't know that I could hit the dirt and wait it out or escape, knowing that innocent people are being slaughtered while I have a fully functional firearm on my hip. A lot of it would depend on if I had a good shot, what's going on at the moment, etc. I have no illisions of playing the hero or being Rambo. But I know I can't give a final "this is what I would do" without being in the situation. My mind goes back to the guy in the wheelchair recently stabbed in McDonalds in Orlando - why didn't anyone do anything?! Then I have to ask, would I have done anything? If I would do something for him, why not at the mall - the best I can say is I have no idea what I would do until faced with the situation, no matter how many different scenarios I play in my head.
    Well remember that the OP isn't asking what we would do if the person in question was actually committing a violent act, he's talking about someone walking through a mall dressed "for battle" and carrying what we can assume is a real gun. The scenario probably changes for all of us once this person goes from being highly suspect to actively causing death/harm.
    OldVet likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. There are a lot of factors involved. I would first dial 911. If I was with someone I would get them to safety first. I would watch and from his actions I would decide what I would do next
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Also remember if you are carrying a handgun you are significantly outarmed against an ak or ar. Might just make things worse.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links