Concealed carry clothing choices.

This is a discussion on Concealed carry clothing choices. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the years go by that I am carrying a concealed weapon for self defense, I have been making some new choices in my clothing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Concealed carry clothing choices.

As the years go by that I am carrying a concealed weapon for self defense, I have been making some new choices in my clothing that make it easier and more comfortable to carry. I would generally wear jeans and a t-shirt, but since I pocket carry, jeans just aren't right for the job. The pockets are really tight and make it difficult to draw my pistol. I recently bought a couple pair of 5.11 TacLite Pro pants. After carrying my Beretta Nano in the front pocket for a few days at work, I absolutely love them. The pockets are roomy enough for pocket carry while still allowing for a good draw. I also like the small pocket on the left front side with a small flap that carries my spare magazine perfectly. Its also nice to have one pair of pants that fit well if I carry IWB or not. I used to have a 36 inch waist pair of pants for IWB carry and 34 inch for when I am OWB carrying. But the 5.11 TacLite Pro has an elastic waist on the sides to allow a little extra room when I carry IWB. Now if they only made a pair of shorts for the summer.

Let's hear from the rest of you. What are your clothing choices?

2. Remove Ads

Aside from being a little more conscious of the type of belt I wear, I haven't really changed the way I dress in order to accommodate CC. Rather, I've chosen holsters and carry locations that work with my clothing. I mostly carry IWB at 3:30-4:00 (Glock 19 or Kahr P380). In the winter, it's a lot easier, as I'm frequently wearing a sweater or other cover garment. In the summer, it'll be a bit harder. I'll switch to pocket carry most of the time during the warmer months.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Jeans and a t shirt for me. Add a hoodie or carhart for the winter months. I laugh at the walking 5.11 catalogues I see once in a while.
    CJM and aus71383 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've made very few changes since I started carrying. No tactical stuff for me. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I like wearing dress shirts, suits and just nice clothes. Even if I wear jeans, i'll wear an untucked dress shirt and shoes.

Sometimes a bellyband, sometimes an owb Glock Sport combat holster. I've managed to keep it pretty simple, effective (I practice the draw from whatever i'm wearing) and efficient so far and still keep my sense of style.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Jeans and a t shirt for me. Add a hoodie or carhart for the winter months. I laugh at the walking 5.11 catalogues I see once in a while.
    Agreed. Tactical vests are only good for hunting birds, deer or elk.

5.11 taclite pro pants and a medium weight quarter-zip. When I first started wearing the taclite's I was worried that I looked uber-tactical-mall-ninja, but It took me a week or so to even realize another recruit was wearing them to drill.

Quote Originally Posted by surferbum View Post
    Agreed. Tactical vests are only good for hunting birds, deer or elk.
    I have seen some guys wearing all tactical gear and it makes me think they are carrying more than 2 guns, 2 knives, and 6 magazines. Talk about advertising...lol. I really only like the 5.11 pants. In addition to being versatile, they really are comfortable. I am also a competitive cyclist and it is very difficult to find pants that fit me well. I have a 34 inch waist and massive thighs. Jeans are super hard to find. I really do like the way they fit. If I ever did look like a walking advertisement for anyone, please, smack me...lol.

Uh oh! I just realized that 5.11 has Taclite Pro shorts. I know what I want for my birthday before summer ;-)

Administrator
    Don't get me wrong, if you like a particular pair of pants, that's cool. But wearing the whole ensemble head to toe is a bit much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I agree, the 5.11 pants, along with others of similar style, offer a slightly more comfortable way to carry IWB with the elastic on the waistband. I don't care for how 'tactical' they make me feel though. I spend most of my time in Duluth Ball Room Jeans and Duluth Fire Hose Work Pants. They are kinda pricy, but the quality is second to none. I have a bunch of their t-shirts too and they are way better than your average t-shirt for concealing, at least for me. They cut their shirts several inches longer than the average t-shirt, so I never worry about my shirt riding up and exposing my pistol.
    MASSIVE and JayHawker45 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I am with you SIXTO, I think its tacky to wear all the same brand. I just like the pants. I usually wear a cheap polo style shirt with them at work. I really like the Columbia ROC pant too, but the cotton material gets dirty too easily. The 5.11s repel dirt surprisingly well. I was worried about it, but after crawling on my knees to reset some shelves, I didn't show a lick of dirt on my knees. Good stuff. They repel water well too.

I've worn Levis since I was a little kid in the 50s and now that I'm retired, I wear them most of the time. I also have a couple of pair of 5.11 cargo pants that I wear if I'm not wearing jeans. I also have a 5.11 vest and a Woolrich vest that I wear on occasion, because I love all the pockets for carrying "stuff". HOWEVER, I do NOT wear the vest and 5.11 cargo pants at the same time! I only wear the vests when I'm wearing Levis. If I'm wearing the cargo pants, I've got enough pockets that I don't need the vest. And besides, I don't want to look that "tactical"! Where I live, nobody looks twice at the vest or the cargo pants, but wearing both together would be a bit much in my opinion.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I still wear shorts or jeans and tight shirts (kind of a douchebag look I guess, im young...) So i just picked a holster to fit my attire. The SHTF holsters are the only ones I use.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Docker pants and Tommy Bahama shirt.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

For pocket carry in long pants, I like Dickies "874" khaki work pants.

My S&W 642 disappears in the front pocket and the pants are tough as nails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links