Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most all my friends have firearms and they know I do. I don't feel I need to inform anyone. If a home owner has a ...

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Most all my friends have firearms and they know I do. I don't feel I need to inform anyone. If a home owner has a issue with firearms and does not want them in their house, I would respect that.

2. Remove Ads

I've never felt the need to carry in a friends home.

OldVet:

Do you ask every store owner you go into if is ok to carry in their store? It is their property.

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    I've never felt the need to carry in a friends home.
    I have never felt the need to dis-arm, except where required by law.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

OD*
    I don't advertise to anyone that I'm armed.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedLady View Post
    No, I don't inform, nor do I ask permission in advance.

It's because nobody needs to know. The fact of my having an effective means of defending against crime doesn't alter the environment or those around me anymore than my choice in socks. The "need" is merely perceived; it isn't real. And IMO the only courtesy involved is in helping protect another from his/her unfounded or irrational fears.

... but I feel that it's a courtesy to ask and discuss it with the homeowner. My husband and I do not want weapons coming into our home without our knowledge.
    The mental/preparatory problem with it can be resolved by presuming everyone who comes to your home or near your children is armed in some way. Keep an eye out with that in mind, with each and every person coming near you/yours, and you'll be better prepared to deal with any "slip" that the visitor performs.

Reality is, a person's threat to you isn't materially altered by whether he/she is capable of defending against crime. Rather, that only changes based on a person's level of criminal-mindedness. And that's something you'll only appreciate after getting to know the person well enough to invite into your home.

By all means, if the concept of an armed society concerns you, grill your visitors prior to their coming (or when arriving). But I'd think it's going to make little difference in whether you filter out the truly criminal from your midst. Getting to know them well, first, though, that'll be the best thing you can do. Anything else is merely a salve to your conscience, and it won't be anything near as effective (if at all).

YMMV. For myself, I'm simply more discerning ahead of time about who I invite into my home, and I live with the assumption that all around me have some effective means of defending themselves. Works for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't announce that I am carrying, but a large number of my friends know I do. They've never told me they have a felt uncomfortable with me, being armed. Concealed is concealed. I don't wave my gun around, it stays concealed damn near always. If my friends told me they were uncomfortable with me carrying, I might leave it in the car OR I might say it is and still have it on my person.

If I respect the person I tell them. If I dont respect them I need to consider why im in their castle.

A reawakened yr old thread. OK.

I do not ask people if they want guns in their homes. It's not a subject I bring up. I also dont assume that I know what they'd say if I did ask

Very few people know that I carry a firearm. Most that do are friends I know thru my rural lifestyle, riding, or shooting pasttimes. (Most of those are combined!) None have objections to firearms in their homes.

I do not ask and I do not tell. I keep control of myself and my firearm at all times just like anytime/anywhere else. If that wont be the case, I wont carry then/there.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Supraman762 View Post
    If I respect the person I tell them. If I dont respect them I need to consider why im in their castle.
    Apologies....I have not read most of the thread. So I dont just direct this at you. But I have seen this before and I dont understand it.

WHy is it disrespectful to safely carry a firearm into someone's home? (Esp. if you dont even know their views on it?). To me, that makes the assumption that you are doing something wrong...something dangerous, something dishonest, something that they need to be concerned about. Is that accurate? Are you more dangerous to them? Do they need to be concerned about you because you carry a gun?

Why is it different than carrying in your cell phone? THAT is often more distracting and certainly disrespectful (IMO) if it rings and interrupts people or you ignore your hosts to attend to it.

No one else should even know you are carrying....how is it disrespectful? (Again, if you know someone is anti-gun, that might be different but if you dont even know?)
    DFuller and tcox4freedom like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I made it very easy. I told everyone that I'd even possibly enter their house that if I'm dressed, that I'm carrying a firearm. I then asked them if they cared, Got it all knocked out over the phone or through private messages.
    brocktice likes this.

Most of my closest friends and immediate family know that I carry a firearm. With that said, I don't tell anyone when I'm carrying. Concealed means concealed.

No. Its concealed for a reason.

Concealed, is the key word....hide her good, and you're good to go!
    If your friends don't like firearms, then there's always the option to not visit them

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Why on Earth would you tell? Concealed MEANS concealed.
    This.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Links