Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? - Page 11

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only one rule with me and my buddies - when we're in the shop workin' on the bikes, everybody's guns are safety checked and on ...

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Only one rule with me and my buddies - when we're in the shop workin' on the bikes, everybody's guns are safety checked and on the shelf next to the stereo. Not sure if a stray spark would/could cause a discharge but none of us really wanna find out.

Don't tell

Quote Originally Posted by J.Thompson View Post
    Only one rule with me and my buddies - when we're in the shop workin' on the bikes, everybody's guns are safety checked and on the shelf next to the stereo. Not sure if a stray spark would/could cause a discharge but none of us really wanna find out.
    Is this possible or not?

Either this is or it's not....surely someone knows.

I have never heard of such a possibility but I'd certainly like to. I'm inclined to say it's unfounded.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedLady View Post
    Don't worry, you will not hurt my feelings with your honest opinion. I did ask for it all. So it's ok for other people's concealed weapons in your home, without your knowledge?
    Why not? If they are carrying legally and they are my friend then what would be the problem? You realize that anytime you go out in public the odds are you will be around people who are carrying right? I would hope that I would choose friends to come into my home that would be at least as trustworthy as strangers encountered in public settings.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan
    9MMare likes this.

It's a matter of respect. When I'm in someone else's home, either I don't carry in there, or I get their permission first. I do not want someone bringing cigarettes, alcohol, or other things into my home, even though they are all legal. I should therefore give others the same respect.

The problem with the entire "rights" argument today, is that we think our "rights" (our being general, not gun owners) trumps everyone else's rights. They don't. Our rights, like us, are all created equal.
    Ogre likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    It's a matter of respect. When I'm in someone else's home, either I don't carry in there, or I get their permission first. I do not want someone bringing cigarettes, alcohol, or other things into my home, even though they are all legal. I should therefore give others the same respect.

The problem with the entire "rights" argument today, is that we think our "rights" (our being general, not gun owners) trumps everyone else's rights. They don't. Our rights, like us, are all created equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    But I have seen this before and I dont understand it.

Why is it disrespectful to safely carry a firearm into someone's home? (Esp. if you dont even know their views on it?). To me, that makes the assumption that you are doing something wrong...something dangerous, something dishonest, something that they need to be concerned about. Is that accurate? Are you more dangerous to them? Do they need to be concerned about you because you carry a gun?

Why is it different than carrying in your cell phone? THAT is often more distracting and certainly disrespectful (IMO) if it rings and interrupts people or you ignore your hosts to attend to it.

No one else should even know you are carrying....how is it disrespectful? (Again, if you know someone is anti-gun, that might be different but if you dont even know?)
    Cigarettes, alcohol...dont those things usually have an affect on the people around them? Smoke stink, drinking, perhaps unruly behavior? I dont see the parallel with a concealed weapon. Again...esp if you dont even know how the people feel about guns. (Why would you assume a negative reaction?)
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post

By your response picking cigarettes...I assume you mean letting them smoke in your house? And alcohol, again I assume you mean having them drink in your house?

Well I promise not to shoot my gun in their house. Honestly if it is CONCEALED you would never know I brought it in. Why would I announce that I Conceal Carry before entering a home? Kind of takes the "Concealed" part out of the equation doesn't it?

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan
    Jetfuelrm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DFuller View Post
    By your response picking cigarettes...I assume you mean letting them smoke in your house? And alcohol, again I assume you mean having them drink in your house?

Well I promise not to shoot my gun in their house. Honestly if it is CONCEALED you would never know I brought it in. Why would I announce that I Conceal Carry before entering a home? Kind of takes the "Concealed" part out of the equation doesn't it?
    I cant add anymore than this or a lot of other people's comments. I have a concealed weapons permit and it is exactly what it means. it has nothing to do with respect IMO. Why don't I punch a hole in my license and carry it around my neck with a lanyard advertising as such. Should I also tell them if I am carrying a concealed knife, brass knuckles, Stun gun? Concealed means concealed so no one will know except my girlfriend and that includes my friends.
    Last edited by OD*; January 6th, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

ArmedLady
    Thank you for your replies. I've gained a new perspective. I will definitely be more conservative with who I tell, but will continue to respect my friends homes who know about my CH. My position on my home has not changed.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    don't ask, don't tell, and conceal deep so nobody will see it by accident. simple as that.

why create problems by bringing up the topic?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I have this metal sign posted in a window next to my front door.

gun-sign-NHE-16347_300.gif

Obviously, I have no problem with any of my guests carrying and since this is Arizona I don't much care whether it's concealed or open.

YMMV
    Last edited by jbphoto357; January 6th, 2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    Topsider, OD* and Jetfuelrm like this.
    Vietnam Veterans of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member / GOA - Life Member
    SAF - Life Member / AzCDL - Life Member
    Avid motorcyclist for over 50 years.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving - Lao Tzu

My position on my home has not changed.
    That's fine and certainly your right.

It also is the exact same perspective as the anti-gun people who think that legal gun carriers cannot be trusted and are not safe.
    Fortune favors the bold.

ArmedLady
    Ridiculous. So you trust Everyone who has a CHL? Good luck with that.
    Ogre likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DFuller View Post

Actually, no. Especially with alcohol, I don't allow it in my home except by one person (ALWAYS keep the mother in law happy ). I don't want anyone else drinking in my house, nor do I want them to bring it into my home. My home is private property and it's my right to do what I will in it - and there are a number of "legal" things that I will not allow in my home. With that in mind, I respect other's rights in the same way. I don't make a big deal out of it because I don't carry into other people's homes if I suspect they don't want me too. Of course, I usually don't GO into their homes either.

Ridiculous. So you trust Everyone who has a CHL? Good luck with that.
    Well we do in public but that is another can of worms. You have every right to not have a gun in your home if you dont want to. But, if you dont want that then you need to put a sign on your door saying so or say so yourself before I enter. I cant read your mind. And im flat not going to tell you though if you have it posted I wont bring it your house.

Something doesnt make sense to me though. Nobody is in my home unless I know them. Well. I already know if they carry or not. I built enough trust in the person to allow them in my home then I have enough trust not to worry about their carry.
    It seems you have a lot of people in your home that either you dont know very well or something. I dont get the concern you have.
    9MMare and tcox4freedom like this.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Links