Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ArmedLady Ridiculous. So you trust Everyone who has a CHL? Good luck with that. If you can't trust them why in the ...

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedLady View Post
    Ridiculous. So you trust Everyone who has a CHL? Good luck with that.
    If you can't trust them why in the world would you let them into your home?

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan
    9MMare and tcox4freedom like this.

2. Remove Ads

I certainly dont trust everyone, period....and I dont know their CC status or have background checks done on company. Friends may bring partners I dont know to gatherings. I dont search people that come to my house and I dont hide the 'silver' when company comes. I dont go thru the rooms of my house after to see if anything has been stolen.

Once again, *disproportionally IMO*, guns are demonized.

I'm an adult....and as such, dont really allow random people on my property. If I had kids, I sure as Hell wouldnt. Guns would have nothing to do with it and I'd be much more worried about someone backing over them with their car in the driveway or them drowning in the pool. Or shooting themselves with a gun that the *parent* didnt properly secure.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I apologize to the OP for the 'tone' of my post above if it seems too emphatic.

Armed Lady came asking for advice or information. I do not ever wish to discourage that.

Please view my posts as 'a different perspective.'
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    It also is the exact same perspective as the anti-gun people who think that legal gun carriers cannot be trusted and are not safe.
    Ridiculous. So you trust Everyone who has a CHL? Good luck with that.
    That's a distortion of the concept, IMO.

The comment simply suggested that blindly equating defensive weaponry with criminal-mindedness or threat is about as hollow and pointless as what the anti's assume. Pretty much the same basic argument they use.

Being armed against criminal threats via defensive weaponry and the whole CHL dance does NOT correlate to criminal-mindedness or threat in any way. Statistically speaking, based on the results in state after state, the vastly lower criminality correlated with such carrying/CHL folks indicates quite the opposite, actually.

In the end, though, nothing's going to be a proxy for determination of a person's character and worthiness to be around our children, short of working hard to determine such things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    170 posts, 159 likes...impressive. Has anyone changed their minds about informing/not informing/requesting permission as a result of this thread?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    So it's ok for other people's concealed weapons in your home, without your knowledge?
    I do not tell when entering someone's house. If someone is visiting my house, I know them well and trust them, otherwise I wouldn't invite them in. So yes, I would have no problem with others carrying in my abode. I have only one friend whom I know has a CC license, and I certainly hope he is carrying at all times.

The alternative view is to think it's OK for me to be armed but no one else, like Mayor Bloomberg with his armed guards. If I thought that way I would support the Brady Campaign, not the NRA and SAF.

I think there is at least one state in which the CC laws require a CCer to notify when entering someone's home, but not my state.
    9MMare likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I do not tell when entering someone's house. If someone is visiting my house, I know them well and trust them, otherwise I wouldn't invite them in. So yes, I would have no problem with others carrying in my abode. I have only one friend whom I know has a CC license, and I certainly hope he is carrying at all times.
    I agree, and I know of only one friend with a CCW, but I hope many of my other friends do and I just do not know about it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    170 posts, 159 likes...impressive. Has anyone changed their minds about informing/not informing/requesting permission as a result of this thread?
    Nope.

Still not going to tell you what's under my clothes and still not going to ask you what's under your clothes.

If you announce to me that you don't want me to carry certain objects in your home, I'll most likely make the decision not to enter your gun free victim zone.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

ArmedLady
    More ridiculousness. If you like your statistics so much, give all CHLs your bank account numbers and passwords. If you wouldn't trust them with that, then why isn't it reasonable of me to protect my most precious treasures, by asking my guests 2 simple questions? "Are you carrying? Is your weapon secure?"

We had an officer recently kill himself accidentally while cleaning his weapon, he had failed to clear the chamber. Human error, imagine that. There was an air Marshall who left their loaded weapon in the airport restroom, after washing hands. These were professionals. We are NOT perfect beings 100% all the time. Just because you have a CHL does not make you infallible. Sad mistakes happen, why am I being attacked for taking a simple step to prevent a mistake from happening in my home?

Look, I am not here on this forum to accuse, demean, or distort any one else's opinions, but that's exactly what you are doing to me. I'm shaking down many fictional guests, I'm denying them their rights to bear arms, my children are wild ill mannered and go through guests belongings, and now I'm left wing, gun demonizing, anti gun, and victim. Just because I ask a simple question? What hypocrisy.

I came to this site to educate myself as a new CHL holder and learn from others experiences. I am wasting my time here defending my rights in my own home. Amazing.

This is not what I envisioned when I posted this question. I expected honest discourse, not wild assumptions and sillyness. I appreciate those who answered informatively. This is not the site for me.
    Ogre likes this.

VIP Member
    More ridiculousness. If you like your statistics so much, give all CHLs your bank account numbers and passwords. If you wouldn't trust them with that, then why isn't it reasonable of me to protect my most precious treasures, by asking my guests 2 simple questions? "Are you carrying? Is your weapon secure?"

We had an officer recently kill himself accidentally while cleaning his weapon, he had failed to clear the chamber. Human error, imagine that. There was an air Marshall who left their loaded weapon in the airport restroom, after washing hands. These were professionals. We are NOT perfect beings 100% all the time. Just because you have a CHL does not make you infallible. Sad mistakes happen, why am I being attacked for taking a simple step to prevent a mistake from happening in my home?

Look, I am not here on this forum to accuse, demean, or distort any one else's opinions, but that's exactly what you are doing to me. I'm shaking down many fictional guests, I'm denying them their rights to bear arms, my children are wild ill mannered and go through guests belongings, and now I'm left wing, gun demonizing, anti gun, and victim. Just because I ask a simple question? What hypocrisy.

I came to this site to educate myself as a new CHL holder and learn from others experiences. I am wasting my time here defending my rights in my own home. Amazing.

This is not what I envisioned when I posted this question. I expected honest discourse, not wild assumptions and sillyness. I appreciate those who answered informatively. This is not the site for me.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Wow
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

My family and friends all know I'm getting one and plan on carrying concealed. None of them have said anything about having or not having it in their house or around them so I'll assume they're not really concerned. They're friends and family, there's trust in those relationships.

Just because I ask a simple question?
    No. Because you're wrong.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sometimes the arrogance astounds me. Everyone thinks they're right while everyone else is wrong.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sometimes the arrogance astounds me. Everyone thinks they're right while everyone else is wrong.
    If you're referring to my comment, I didn't say "everyone" was wrong, only the OP, in expecting everyone crossing her threshold to somehow anticipate her wishes without them being explicitly stated. If you need further explanation, you can refer to my other posts in this thread.

FWIW, having an opinion and backing it up with logical arguments isn't "arrogance." It's called "rational thinking." The OP is arguing from a purely emotional ("irrational") point of view, IMO, not unlike the anti-gun crowd.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Links