Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Topsider the OP, in expecting everyone crossing her threshold to somehow anticipate her wishes without them being explicitly stated. What's interesting to ...

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    the OP, in expecting everyone crossing her threshold to somehow anticipate her wishes without them being explicitly stated.
    What's interesting to me is that previously the OP asked, "do you tell", whereas in her parting comment it seems more like, "what would you do/say if asked." I think it's totally reasonable to ask your guests, especially considering her experience with her kids. Expecting people to read minds is another thing entirely.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I think it's totally reasonable to ask your guests...Expecting people to read minds is another thing entirely.
    That's entirely my point.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

AMEN..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It is just as reasonable to expect a home owner to ask every visitor if they're carrying a gun as it is to expect every visitor to inform every home owner if they'er carrying one. Or unreasonable if that fills your glass of water better.

What I find unreasonable are those who assume that every permit carrier (or anyone else owning a gun for that matter) is going to handle--defined as having the gun on their person--in a safe manner. We haven't all had military training (like it doesn't have its share of NDs) or NRA training or any other realistic safety course. I know people with guns who shouldn't have them. I refuse to be around them when they have one in possession. They are that unsafe. Just because one possesses a permit don't mean one knows how to handle a firearm.
    pittypat21 and Ogre like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What I find unreasonable are those who assume that every permit carrier ... is going to handle ... in a safe manner.
    I don't recall anyone actually saying that.

I do recall plenty of people stating the obvious, which is that you shouldn't invite people whom you don't trust into your home.

Regardless, if a concealed handgun stays concealed, what difference does it make if the person carrying it knows how to handle it, anyway?
    brocktice likes this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

It is just as reasonable to expect a home owner to ask every visitor if they're carrying a gun as it is to expect every visitor to inform every home owner if they'er carrying one. Or unreasonable if that fills your glass of water better.
    Except that, as a homeowner, you set the rules in your house. I know one thing that is different among many homes is whether outside shoes may be worn around. I tell my guests that they can leave their shoes on downstairs, unless it's muddy outside or something. Likewise, if I had the same concerns as the OP, I would ask (or say), "if you are carrying, please make sure the gun remains secure, especially out of reach of the children." This is especially going to be a normal thing to ask on base, I think, which is the OP's situation. As a guest, I try to assume polite defaults, or ask if it becomes necessary. Expecting guests OR hosts to read minds is unreasonable.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Eureka! "Except that, as a homeowner, you set the rules in your house."

My point all along.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My point all along.
    I'm confused, I don't feel like that matches what I quoted. Perhaps I am misreading.

My point all along.
    Again...nobody (AFAIK) has disagreed with the concept of "your house, your rules." However, the rules should be explicit (spoken or posted for all to see), not presumed.

this has been asked and answered too many times, search is your friend
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

I think the point that the homeowner sets the rules is dead on. Following up on that, a person that is a guest in the home doesn't treat it like it's their home, they treat it like they're a guest (or should). That means the guest takes nothing for granted - including concealed carry. I for one, would throw someone out of my house for carrying concealed without asking me first.

If they don't have enough respect for me to tell me, they don't have enough respect for me to be in my house. Goodbye. On the other hand. If they asked - sure, come on in. Matter of fact, come over here and let me show you what I carry.

The difference isn't "Gun rights" or "Gun control people." The difference is showing respect to the owner of the home.
    Ogre likes this.

I do keep my weapon on at all times unless at work I have a ppk which is always in my car if I need a small ccw however the only time I declare I have one is if I am taking off my over shirt or jacket I ask the owner if they mind that I'm openly carrying with my over shirt remove if they say they prefer I not then I simply leave my shirt on or I go to my vehicle and "disarm"(switch to ppk).

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    Again...nobody (AFAIK) has disagreed with the concept of "your house, your rules." However, the rules should be explicit (spoken or posted for all to see), not presumed.
    Yep, and that's why we should NEVER assume it's okay to carry concealed in someone's house, we should explicitly make sure it's okay.
    Ogre likes this.

Wasn't armed lady a member when she started the thread?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Wasn't armed lady a member when she started the thread?
    Times change, people change.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Links