Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? - Page 14

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jemsaal Yep, and that's why we should NEVER assume it's okay to carry concealed in someone's house, we should explicitly make sure ...

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Yep, and that's why we should NEVER assume it's okay to carry concealed in someone's house, we should explicitly make sure it's okay.
    Sorry, I don't get the whole "concealed carry" = "disrespectful" angle some of you are working from. I find nothing disrespectful about responsible, legal concealed carry.
    remington79 and 9MMare like this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Yep, and that's why we should NEVER assume it's okay to carry concealed in someone's house, we should explicitly make sure it's okay.
    Say you're with a friend, you go with him/her to their friends house, someone you don't personally know, you're just gonna blurt out that you have a concealed weapon on you? Sorry, but I'm not going to advertise to a stranger that I have a concealed pistol on me, if someone did it at my home, I'd think them a braggart.
    remington79 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

One thing I do however that I did not say earlier if I'm with friends I do inform them that I'm carrying so they do know if something happens to expect a report from the other direction. I simply tell them I'm armed. If I am in a house with small children which happens rarely in a place that doesn't know that I carry such as my family would. I ask the owner if they are ok with me carrying all of my friends have either enquired about what I'm carrying or ask advice in getting one of there own I've never had a negative response as most of my friends are like minded individuals. The only person that I know right off hand that has ever questioned why I carried after I presented my reasoning they then thanked me for thinking of not only myself but the others that are no protected. And any time I'm over they ask if I'm armed and then tell me that even though they don't have a weapon they fell safer when I'm there armed

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    if I'm with friends I do inform them that I'm carrying so they do know if something happens to expect a report from the other direction.
    Telling people you're carrying kinda defeats the whole purpose of concealed carry, no?

Agree with OD (a couple of posts above). Sounds like braggadocio.
    OD* and 9MMare like this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

I feel like, if the laws of the land allow you to do something, you may assume it's ok. If someone wants different rules they can tell me. This is how it is with private businesses in my state. I think it's fine to treat private homes the same way.
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    Telling people you're carrying kinda defeats the whole purpose of concealed carry, no?

The reason that I always inform my friends is so they will know not to be surprised. One reason is so that if something happens they may remember not to jump in front of my weapon as this is just good safety in my opinion much like asking them to buckle up when they get in my vehicle. I wouldn't want a friend to jump out infront of me when they should be getting on the ground.

The reason that I always inform my friends is so they will know not to be surprised. One reason is so that if something happens they may remember not to jump in front of my weapon as this is just good safety in my opinion much like asking them to buckle up when they get in my vehicle. I wouldn't want a friend to jump out infront of me when they should be getting on the ground.
    Do you synchronize your watches and practice your hand signals, too?

Seriously, though, unless you and your friends have trained together as a team, you never know what they're going to do in the heat of the moment. Your responsibilities remain the same (namely, the four rules of gun safety). Telling them you're armed is completely irrelevant.
    macg19, 9MMare and F350_6 like this.

VIP Member
    Topsider and iguanadon like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

no,,

go to few , very few houses that the owner does not know me , and about me..

so few houses, that there are none..

and when we go out, that I am not the only CC in our group..

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Indeed. Since the OP has abandoned ship, it's all fun and games at this point.

Do you guys when you go shooting not let the range know your about to shoot. By saying hot range or range ready or do you wait until your best friend is hanging a target down range to start denting primers. i want the people i care about to be safe you wouldn't want to start shooting only to have your best friend or your wife step in front of you and be the victim when they could have been one of the survivors. I don't know what kind of safety measures if any you employ but i don't want to injure an enasent bystandard

Do you guys when you go shooting not let the range know your about to shoot. By saying hot range or range ready or do you wait until your best friend is hanging a target down range to start denting primers.
    Not sure what you mean. The indoor ranges I shoot at use academy-style lanes with mechanical target hangers. Nobody goes downrange, ever. We're all wearing earplugs/muffs. Nobody says anything unless they're standing right next to you. We just do our thing.

The outdoor (rifle) range I use has a range officer who calls the shots (literally, pun not intended). Totally different environments.

Nope, unless they know you carry and specifically ask you NOT to bring your weapon into their home or they have signage banning weapons in their home.

Gun carry is about self defense and every time you are without that protection (leaving it in your car) it's just like driving without your seatbelt...IMO

If your CLOSE friends know, that's one thing...not something that needs to be announced repeatedly, acquaintances however, are different, don't ask don't tell don't talk about it. Comparing announcing you're carrying to making sure passengers are wearing seat belts, that worries me a lot.
    remington79 and 9MMare like this.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post

How does it defeat the purpose? You're not telling the world. You're not telling the criminal that's holding up the corner store, and you're not telling the psycho that's running his car through the house. You're calmly and quietly taking someone aside and informing them that you carry, and as you've shown them respect to inform them as you enter their home, your asking for their respect to keep it silent.

How is that bragging?

And for the respect angle, the respect comes to play in that you (general you) are entering someone else's home. If something happens, the effects are far reaching, especially for the owner of the home. It is now a possible crime scene - one in which a weapon was used. Insurance companies get involved. Lawsuits start flying, and the homeowner is caught in the middle. What if you pull the trigger and miss? The person that got hit by the ricochet sues, and not only does he or she sue you, but they also sue the homeowner. In short, by bringing a weapon into someone else's home you're opening a plethora of possibilities that they might not be willing to accept - but because you've insisted that it's your right, you've taken away their right of self-determination in their own home concerning these risks.

And I don't buy the "they should have a sign up, or tell me." Why should they assume you're carrying? They don't know you. You may be the only person they'll ever meet that actually carries a gun. If we use the right to carry, then we also assume the responsibilities that go with it, and IMO, that includes not occulting someone else's rights within their own him just so I get to utilize my right.

Sponsored Links