Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? - Page 15

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here there are several ranges that are outdoors were you have to walk down range and hang your target then once you get back online ...

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Here there are several ranges that are outdoors were you have to walk down range and hang your target then once you get back online you then after everyone is behind the line identify that you are about to fire so that everyone has there muffs on and is ready to shoot. I guess that i may be old fashioned but, the safety of others is top priority. i dont want to have a unknowing friend or relative move in front of me before i start firing in a defensive situation when i could have prevented it by simply telling them im packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I don't buy the "they should have a sign up, or tell me."
    So, you're in the "read my mind" camp?
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    You must in Arkansas
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    If your CLOSE friends know, that's one thing...not something that needs to be announced repeatedly, acquaintances however, are different, don't ask don't tell don't talk about it. Comparing announcing you're carrying to making sure passengers are wearing seat belts, that worries me a lot.
    As i said in the post i tell my friends not like im walking through walmart telling everyone that im armed its out of sight and they dont need to know but i dont have many friends in this world that i can say are truly friends i feel they have a right to know. Just like my family its purely a safety thing. If anyone else ever knew that im concealed then i havent done my job I've failed because i carry concealed so that im not a target or a preceived threat.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    You need to read 5-73-306 (D)Any licensee entering a private home shall notify the occupant that the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkWhoCan'tThink View Post
    It's not required by AR state law, but shows respect. If you were 'made' after being in someone's house, might be uncomfortable at best and dangerous at worst. My preference is to ask first.

LesbianShrink a conservative libretarian, psychiatrist, and wife to the most amazing woman.
    “We do not see the world as it is. We see the world as we are.” This quote has been attributed to both the
    Talmud and Anaïs Nin (although an actual citation for neither quote can be found).
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I would always carry, and never tell. If something happened at your freinds house and you dont have your gun to protect yourself or your family and freinds, then you would probably feel pretty bad about leaving your protection in your car. The only bad thing that would happen, if you concealed your weapon in your freinds house, is that you would become a very bad hug giver! lol

Quote Originally Posted by soserius View Post
    I would always carry, and never tell. If something happened at your freinds house and you dont have your gun to protect yourself or your family and freinds, then you would probably feel pretty bad about leaving your protection in your car. The only bad thing that would happen, if you concealed your weapon in your freinds house, is that you would become a very bad hug giver! lol
    I agree completely you would never be able to forgive yourself if it happened. That's why it's good to always have something descreat to slip in a pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    I agree completely you would never be able to forgive yourself if it happened. That's why it's good to always have something descreat to slip in a pocket
    If not a concealed handgun, then what...? Cell phone with 911 on speed dial? Pepper spray? Worry beads?
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Id guess holy water and a silver cross but would prefer a Gun Good call on the pepper spray though that away when it blows back you wont even know the person is there
    Topsider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The alternative view is to think it's OK for me to be armed but no one else, like Mayor Bloomberg with his armed guards.
    x2

Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedLady View Post
    More ridiculousness. If you like your statistics so much, give all CHLs your bank account numbers and passwords. If you wouldn't trust them with that, then why isn't it reasonable of me to protect my most precious treasures, by asking my guests 2 simple questions? "Are you carrying? Is your weapon secure?"

We had an officer recently kill himself accidentally while cleaning his weapon, he had failed to clear the chamber. Human error, imagine that.
    We had one here leave a loaded weapon in his glove compartment. He and his wife left 2 kids in that car. The 7 yr old boy accidentally killed his 3 yr old sister with it.

(Same thing happened to a Hispanic couple in a more rural area the same week...the cop, while charged with 2nd degree manslaughter, got off...the Hispanic couple did not. The excuse was 'different jurisdictions.' I find the double or even triple standard sickening.)

My point would be however....that a family's kids are more likely to be accidentally or intentionally shot by a family member (or themself) than a stranger *in the home.*....You recognize 'human error'. Please recognize the higher likelihood of danger for what it is.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by jryan630 View Post
    I will respect anybody not wanting me to carry in their house. That being said I will also leave if not allowed to carry. I will not trust anybody but myself to protect myself and my family. I will not inform upon entering, but if you find out please feel free to ask me to leave.
    Agreed. This is the only acceptable approach.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    No. Because you're wrong.
    That's not right either.

Everyone has their own comfort levels. And their own opinions...and rights to their own property.]

Think about how many new permit holders are nervous about carrying one in the chamber? How many people decide they never want to do so? Are they wrong? Maybe not for them.

However, she came here and asked how people handled that particular situation...and got many answers and perspectives.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It is just as reasonable to expect a home owner to ask every visitor if they're carrying a gun as it is to expect every visitor to inform every home owner if they'er carrying one. Or unreasonable if that fills your glass of water better.

What I find unreasonable are those who assume that every permit carrier (or anyone else owning a gun for that matter) is going to handle--defined as having the gun on their person--in a safe manner. We haven't all had military training (like it doesn't have its share of NDs) or NRA training or any other realistic safety course. I know people with guns who shouldn't have them. I refuse to be around them when they have one in possession. They are that unsafe. Just because one possesses a permit don't mean one knows how to handle a firearm.
    I see your point but as the OP and myself pointed out...even the professionals screw up.

Like everyone, anywhere. Accidents happen. It's just as likely someone will knock over a candle and burn your house down...but it's certainly possible.

Because of the general atmosphere in my home and the people I spend time with, even with alcohol....I have occasional small friendly gatherings. I'm way past my 20's and 'open parties.' My experience and belief is that cc'd guns are like wallets....they stay where they belong and no one even thinks twice about them.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Except that, as a homeowner, you set the rules in your house. I know one thing that is different among many homes is whether outside shoes may be worn around. I tell my guests that they can leave their shoes on downstairs, unless it's muddy outside or something. Likewise, if I had the same concerns as the OP, I would ask (or say), "if you are carrying, please make sure the gun remains secure, especially out of reach of the children." This is especially going to be a normal thing to ask on base, I think, which is the OP's situation. As a guest, I try to assume polite defaults, or ask if it becomes necessary. Expecting guests OR hosts to read minds is unreasonable.
    Heh, this is a farm and yeah, shoes off in the house!

OTOH, I cant imagine asking people the question I bolded above. Of anyone coming over. I guess it's just me but I cant picture it.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Sponsored Links