Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jemsaal I think the point that the homeowner sets the rules is dead on. Following up on that, a person that is ...

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I think the point that the homeowner sets the rules is dead on. Following up on that, a person that is a guest in the home doesn't treat it like it's their home, they treat it like they're a guest (or should). That means the guest takes nothing for granted - including concealed carry. I for one, would throw someone out of my house for carrying concealed without asking me first. If they don't have enough respect for me to tell me, they don't have enough respect for me to be in my house. Goodbye. On the other hand. If they asked - sure, come on in. Matter of fact, come over here and let me show you what I carry.

The difference isn't "Gun rights" or "Gun control people." The difference is showing respect to the owner of the home.
    Wow, so 'concealed' doesnt mean anything? Otherwise, they'd be open carrying.

And AGAIN...how is it *disrespectful* to cc *anywhere legal* or *if you dont even know the homeowner's thoughts on it?*

Never in my life has it even come up in, what...THOUSANDS of visits and visitors? Not one person has ever asked in 50+ yrs...and in the time I've been carrying, never run into a knowingly anti-gun homeowner to even think about asking....altho I wouldnt examine it too closely :-)

How is legally cc'ing disrespectful? WHat is disrespectful about legally carrying a gun? (Esp if you do not know of any anti-gun sentiment from the homeowner...and I assume Mr. Jem is NOT?)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Yep, and that's why we should NEVER assume it's okay to carry concealed in someone's house, we should explicitly make sure it's okay.
    What other things do I need to check with the home owner? My cell phone? My prescription pills in my purse? My opinions?

*I would* ask before smoking (altho I dont smoke)...that would affect other people in the home. I would ask if I could bring in my kid or my dog...those things would possibly bother other people. Maybe the homeowner doesnt want dog hair or noisy kids in their home.

How is a concealed gun anything like that?
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I cant imagine asking people the question [are you carrying]. Of anyone coming over. I guess it's just me but I cant picture it.
    Well I probably wouldn't ask, but again, the OP lives on a military base.

How does it defeat the purpose? You're not telling the world. You're not telling the criminal that's holding up the corner store, and you're not telling the psycho that's running his car through the house. You're calmly and quietly taking someone aside and informing them that you carry, and as you've shown them respect to inform them as you enter their home, your asking for their respect to keep it silent.

How is that bragging?

And for the respect angle, the respect comes to play in that you (general you) are entering someone else's home. If something happens, the effects are far reaching, especially for the owner of the home. It is now a possible crime scene - one in which a weapon was used. Insurance companies get involved. Lawsuits start flying, and the homeowner is caught in the middle. What if you pull the trigger and miss? The person that got hit by the ricochet sues, and not only does he or she sue you, but they also sue the homeowner. In short, by bringing a weapon into someone else's home you're opening a plethora of possibilities that they might not be willing to accept - but because you've insisted that it's your right, you've taken away their right of self-determination in their own home concerning these risks.

And I don't buy the "they should have a sign up, or tell me." Why should they assume you're carrying? They don't know you. You may be the only person they'll ever meet that actually carries a gun. If we use the right to carry, then we also assume the responsibilities that go with it, and IMO, that includes not occulting someone else's rights within their own him just so I get to utilize my right.
    How are you held responsible for someone legally carrying something that is *concealed?* (And by implication, you do not know). Do you have any sources for such lawsuits or charges?

Once again, everything you wrote displays a complete fear of guns in the hands of 'other people'....just like anti-gun people. **Guns are dangerous and there's no way to control anything when they are around!!! ANYTHING could happen!**

btw, if there is an incident in your home, the odds are probably even that someone armed saves lives or prevents the crime.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It is just as reasonable to expect a home owner to ask every visitor if they're carrying a gun as it is to expect every visitor to inform every home owner if they'er carrying one. Or unreasonable if that fills your glass of water better.

What I find unreasonable are those who assume that every permit carrier (or anyone else owning a gun for that matter) is going to handle--defined as having the gun on their person--in a safe manner. We haven't all had military training (like it doesn't have its share of NDs) or NRA training or any other realistic safety course. I know people with guns who shouldn't have them. I refuse to be around them when they have one in possession. They are that unsafe. Just because one possesses a permit don't mean one knows how to handle a firearm.
    I'll attest to that. Working as a Range Safety Officer, you can only imagine the kind of people I see every week. It's astonishing the number of people that (1) don't know how to properly operate their weapons and (2) don't know how to safely handle their weapons. There's a decent number that I would never want to be around when they have a firearm in their possession (unless it's at the range while I'm working and being paid to constantly observe them).
    Ogre likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Here's how I feel about entering other people's homes when I'm carrying. If I'm entering the home of somebody that I know well, chances are they know that I'm carrying already, in which case, it's a non-issue. If I'm entering the home of somebody that I don't know quite as well yet, but who I know is of similar beliefs as me, I will politely and quietly ask them if it is ok with them if I carry in their home. It is, in my opinion, a courteous thing to do.

There was an instance of this back in October, when my wife's unit was having a Halloween party for the Marines with families/children. The party was to be at the residence of a SSgt in the company. I know this SSgt to be more right-leaning politically, and assumed that he was more than likely pro-gun. However, knowing that there would be a lot of children around that weren't mine, I made sure to gain his permission ahead of time to carry in his home. I did so privately before we left. I could tell from his response that he was somewhat apprehensive about it, due to the number of people that would be there, and especially the number of kids that are not his own, but he informed me that he trusts me well enough, and thanked me for seeking his permission.

I never felt it was too much trouble to ask, and I would've followed his wishes should he have asked me to keep it in my vehicle.
    OldVet, akav8er and Ogre like this.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Well I probably wouldn't ask, but again, the OP lives on a military base.
    I never saw that the OP said she lives on a military base. Rather, she said she grew up around/on and has lived on military bases. If OP DOES live on a military base, then this whole thread is pointless, since privately owned weapons are not allowed on military installations, and military issued weapons are stored in an armory on the installation.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Carrying my weapon is neither illegal nor immoral. If they don't know about it, no harm is done. If they someday figure it out, I will be able to remind them that the whole time i have known them, nothing has happened. If they are in the tight group that know I carry, they probably assume that I am. One friend likes to hug me and try to figure out what I am carrying and where. She's pretty fun and fooling her is good practice for concealment.
    brocktice and 9MMare like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

In Alaska under AS 11.61.220 (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person... carries a weapon... (B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;

That said, I tend to not stray far from those who I trust with the knowledge that I CC.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I never saw that the OP said she lives on a military base. Rather, she said she grew up around/on and has lived on military bases. If OP DOES live on a military base, then this whole thread is pointless, since privately owned weapons are not allowed on military installations, and military issued weapons are stored in an armory on the installation.
    Perhaps I misread. Edit: Ah yes, "having lived most of my adult life on military installations" or some such. Wasn't clear to me, and having never lived on one, I don't know the rules. Ok, so that point is null.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...privately owned weapons are not allowed on military installations,..."

Not quite true. Those residing in base housing can keep thier firearms on base (May or may not need to register those firearms with the SPs/MPs.). Some bases even have trap/skeet ranges maintained by MWR, open for use by base pesonel and guests.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    170 posts, 159 likes...impressive. Has anyone changed their minds about informing/not informing/requesting permission as a result of this thread?
    Yes. I've decided to not have any friends. They were already annoying wanting me to help them move or take them to the airport. Now this. I'm done with 'em.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23's for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    170 posts, 159 likes...impressive. Has anyone changed their minds about informing/not informing/requesting permission as a result of this thread?
    I haven't changed my mind, but I have thought about it quite a bit. I can see the arguments from both sides.
    9MMare likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akav8er View Post
    In Alaska under AS 11.61.220 (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person... carries a weapon... (B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;
    And i thought California had a lock on bad laws.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    And i thought California had a lock on bad laws.
    Alaska is one of the most gun-friendly states in the entire country. I don't think it's too much to gain permission from private property owners before carrying on their property.
    OldVet likes this.

Links