Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? - Page 17

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jemsaal I think the point that the homeowner sets the rules is dead on. Following up on that, a person that is ...

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I think the point that the homeowner sets the rules is dead on. Following up on that, a person that is a guest in the home doesn't treat it like it's their home, they treat it like they're a guest (or should). That means the guest takes nothing for granted - including concealed carry. I for one, would throw someone out of my house for carrying concealed without asking me first.

If they don't have enough respect for me to tell me, they don't have enough respect for me to be in my house. Goodbye. On the other hand. If they asked - sure, come on in. Matter of fact, come over here and let me show you what I carry.

The difference isn't "Gun rights" or "Gun control people." The difference is showing respect to the owner of the home.
    Why should it matter what legal items I have on my person...alcohol in flask in coat pocket; tobacco in a pocket; a lighter; a pack of gum; pocket knife; or a pocket gun. If they stay in my pocket?

We could have a long conversation before I get inside. I agree it is your home and your rules.. Sounds like you need to post a sign.

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Only my immediate family, In-Laws, and my best friend know I carry. To everybody else entering their house, car, etc its my business.

Would you tell everybody you know that you won the Lottery? Think of it that way.

OP teach your friend to not be scared of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    Why should it matter what legal items I have on my person...alcohol in flask in coat pocket; tobacco in a pocket; a lighter; a pack of gum; pocket knife; or a pocket gun. If they stay in my pocket?

We could have a long conversation before I get inside. I agree it is your home and your rules.. Sounds like you need to post a sign.

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    Because who are you (general you - not you, RonM) to step through MY front door, and then talk about what YOU get to do in MY house.

And no, I neither need a sign, nor would we have a long conversation. The only people that come into my house are people I know well - because I know those are the people that will respect the rules of my house. And yes, I show the same respect to them in theirs.

VIP Member
    Why do some people have such a problem with this?

If you don't want something in your house, post a sign which lists all the stuff you are banning from your home or verbally communicate your ban list to those who you intend to invite into your home so that your visitors will know the limitations you will be placing on them if they choose to enter your home.

If you invite someone in without communicating a ban list to them, how will they know if they are not following your rules?

They are not obligated to inform you about any inanimate objects they currently possess on their person.

If you want to make your home a gun free victim zone, that is within your Rights.

The only way you can enforce your gun free victim zone is to communicate to all would be visitors that your home is a gun free victim zone and firearms are not permitted.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Because who are you (general you - not you, RonM) to step through MY front door, and then talk about what YOU get to do in MY house.
    I'd be the one you invited through that door. Though, I'd not be the one who you'd be grilling and submitting to a questionnaire upon entry.

Life's pretty simple, actually. You're right: it's largely about respect. Vet your "friends" (invitees, whomever) ahead of time. For those one-timers invited through the door, communicate any desired laundry list of compliance items ahead of time. If sprung on folks at time of entry, don't be surprised if they walk away or engage in questioning the set-up. Or, do it like victim-disarmament-zone type businesses do it: post a sign, so there's no misunderstanding.
    OD*, 9MMare and tcox4freedom like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've never told a person that I'm carrying when I enter their house. The only time I remove my weapon is when I know I'm going to be drinking, and then it is locked up, otherwise it makes no nevermind to anyone since it stays hidden.

A decent analogy would be walking into a store and asking to see a manager and then telling them you have a concealed pistol and you are going to be carrying it in their store. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?
    9MMare likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    If they cant see it is it really there? With the way the world is today it goes where I go. Random acts of violence can happen anywhere at any time. No im not paranoid, just prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    Here there are several ranges that are outdoors were you have to walk down range and hang your target then once you get back online you then after everyone is behind the line identify that you are about to fire so that everyone has there muffs on and is ready to shoot. I guess that i may be old fashioned but, the safety of others is top priority. i dont want to have a unknowing friend or relative move in front of me before i start firing in a defensive situation when i could have prevented it by simply telling them im packing.
    The difference is the range is not a high stress environment and everyone has the expectation that shots are going to be fired in a certain direction. In someone's home, if something happens where you feel the need to engage a target, the fight or flight feeling has already struck the others and in their panic, and possibly your tunnel vision, having said something beforehand won't mean much.

The only way I would expect everyone to behave properly in a firefight is if we had trained together for that very instance repeatedly. The original premise of this thread means this hasn't happened. When the bullets start flying, everything you think you know goes out the window. Training (practice) is what makes the difference in those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    And i thought California had a lock on bad laws.

haha I wouldn't worry too much, I think you've still got the top slot. :P

One more and In off this one lol. On the tell nobody side the only people that know Im carrying all the time are people I am with alot and trust. I will specifically tell one of my close friends I am for sure and where if Im going on a motorcycle trip with them. And only because if I go down and the folks im riding with come to my aid I want at least one close friend to know where it is so someone doesn't get accidentally shot if they are trying to render first aid to me and I am unconscious. I wont know what condition the weapon might be in after a crash. But that is the only time I bother and then only to a trusted friend.

As far a going into a home, I must be antisocial or something because I dont go into others homes unless we know each other well. Well enough that they know I am likely carrying and I know its not a problem. If you arent in that camp you wont be in my home. I dont invite acquaintances inside my home. But from some of the reponses the OP got Im beginning to think im a hermit

Nope, people who's home I enter know I carry anyway but I do not announce it. Sometimes I may not be if it is for a party where people might get alittle crazy. I keep things pretty quiet in regards to whether I carry or not. Even my girlfriend wwould not know of I was or not. I prefer to be anonymous that way.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

I don't. However I don't really go into peoples homes that don't truly know who I am anyway.

Sent from my nexus 7 tablet while I'm away from my real computer
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'd be the one you invited through that door. Though, I'd not be the one who you'd be grilling and submitting to a questionnaire upon entry.

Life's pretty simple, actually. You're right: it's largely about respect. Vet your "friends" (invitees, whomever) ahead of time. For those one-timers invited through the door, communicate any desired laundry list of compliance items ahead of time. If sprung on folks at time of entry, don't be surprised if they walk away or engage in questioning the set-up. Or, do it like victim-disarmament-zone type businesses do it: post a sign, so there's no misunderstanding.
    I guess the difference is, my friends know and understand what I believe about respecting other people's private property as well. So it's not a matter of asking, or grilling. I've chosen my friends wisely. There are no "one timers" that come into my house. For that matter, if I'm ask over to someone else's house and I'm carrying (and don't know them well) I politely decline. Of course, I'm always the person that drives himself somewhere so I have the ability to make those types of decisions by and for myself.

The thing is, we can go back and forth on this all day, but what it boils down to is, it seems that you believe it's someone else's responsibility to express something about what you're doing on their property. I believe it's the gun-carrier's responsibility to respect private property, because part of the right of owning and carrying a gun, is being responsible as well, and I believe responsibility equals asking permission to do things on other's private property. (That's a personal belief - please don't take it as any kind of comment towards you. . . If it came across that way, I apologize.)
    Ogre likes this.

I guess the difference is, my friends know and understand what I believe about respecting other people's private property as well. So it's not a matter of asking, or grilling. I've chosen my friends wisely. There are no "one timers" that come into my house. For that matter, if I'm ask over to someone else's house and I'm carrying (and don't know them well) I politely decline. Of course, I'm always the person that drives himself somewhere so I have the ability to make those types of decisions by and for myself.

The thing is, we can go back and forth on this all day, but what it boils down to is, it seems that you believe it's someone else's responsibility to express something about what you're doing on their property. I believe it's the gun-carrier's responsibility to respect private property, because part of the right of owning and carrying a gun, is being responsible as well, and I believe responsibility equals asking permission to do things on other's private property. (That's a personal belief - please don't take it as any kind of comment towards you. . . If it came across that way, I apologize.)
    You or anyone else has yet to tell me why (*if you do not know someone's position on guns*) it is disrespectful or respectful....either one....if it's about guns but not...cell phones, or opinions, or prescription drugs or????

What makes carrying a legal object...a gun....inherently respectful or disrespectful? I dont get it...at all. Unless people believe that we are actually doing something on the fringe of legality and morality?
    OD* likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    You or anyone else has yet to tell me why (*if you do not know someone's position on guns*) it is disrespectful or respectful....either one....if it's about guns but not...cell phones, or opinions, or prescription drugs or????

What makes carrying a legal object...a gun....inherently respectful or disrespectful? I dont get it...at all. Unless people believe that we are actually doing something on the fringe of legality and morality?
    That's a fair question.

It is NOT disrespectful because "it's a gun." For me, it's disrespectful because it is very well known and documented in this country that there are various opinions on the issue. When I am carrying concealed and enter someone else's house without informing them, I am in fact, telling them that their opinion, whatever it is, is worthless to me and furthermore, I do not recognize their right to have their opinion be the rule over their house.

In the same way, it's well documented that there are various opinions concerning alcohol in the home, various opinions about sleeping together when not married, etc. etc. If I know I'm about to engage in an activity where opinion is both strong and various, it's my responsibility to show the respect due the homeowner and gain permission before I do it.

It's a belief that comes from my political persuasion of conservative-libertarian, a belief that only works when everyone is respectful of everyone else. Hope that clarifies it.

And for the others who mention going to managers or whatever else - please, there is no correlation. One is private property bought and paid for by private money for private residence. The other is commercial property bought in order to run a business that is open to the public at large. There is absolutely no equivalency between the two.
    Ogre likes this.

Links