Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? - Page 18

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jemsaal That's a fair question. It is NOT disrespectful because "it's a gun." For me, it's disrespectful because it is very well ...

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    That's a fair question.

It is NOT disrespectful because "it's a gun." For me, it's disrespectful because it is very well known and documented in this country that there are various opinions on the issue. When I am carrying concealed and enter someone else's house without informing them, I am in fact, telling them that their opinion, whatever it is, is worthless to me and furthermore, I do not recognize their right to have their opinion be the rule over their house.

In the same way, it's well documented that there are various opinions concerning alcohol in the home, various opinions about sleeping together when not married, etc. etc. If I know I'm about to engage in an activity where opinion is both strong and various, it's my responsibility to show the respect due the homeowner and gain permission before I do it.

It's a belief that comes from my political persuasion of conservative-libertarian, a belief that only works when everyone is respectful of everyone else. Hope that clarifies it.

And for the others who mention going to managers or whatever else - please, there is no correlation. One is private property bought and paid for by private money for private residence. The other is commercial property bought in order to run a business that is open to the public at large. There is absolutely no equivalency between the two.
    Thank you for a well-thought out answer. I respect that completely.

Where I stand tho, is that my carrying a gun is my right and if people in this country disagree with it...IF...then I am not going to go out of my way to find out about it. I will not go around in life 'wondering' about people's opinions on my Constitutional Rights. I have enough inconveniences obeying the laws attached to that right.

I will not assume I am doing something 'offensive' without any reason. If anything, I could consider it disrespectful that people think it's ok to infringe on my right.

It's the same as my First Amendment right to free speech....If I know someone has extreme political or religious opinions that I disagree with, I'm not likely to go there. But if such things come out in conversations at a gathering, I'd probably leave...I would not stay in someone's home and 'force' my opinions on them. And I'm with you in that if someone came to my home and was offensive in their speech, I would ask them to leave.

Same with a firearm. No one knows I'm carrying it. If they somehow do find out, I would leave if asked. I dont find carrying some exceptional experience that I think about all the time and worry that I'm acting inappropriately.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Thank you for a well-thought out answer. I respect that completely.

Where I stand tho, is that my carrying a gun is my right and if people in this country disagree with it...IF...then I am not going to go out of my way to find out about it. I will not go around in life 'wondering' about people's opinions on my Constitutional Rights. I have enough inconveniences obeying the laws attached to that right.

I will not assume I am doing something 'offensive' without any reason. If anything, I could consider it disrespectful that people think it's ok to infringe on my right.

It's the same as my First Amendment right to free speech....If I know someone has extreme political or religious opinions that I disagree with, I'm not likely to go there. But if such things come out in conversations at a gathering, I'd probably leave...I would not stay in someone's home and 'force' my opinions on them. And I'm with you in that if someone came to my home and was offensive in their speech, I would ask them to leave.

Same with a firearm. No one knows I'm carrying it. If they somehow do find out, I would leave if asked. I dont find carrying some exceptional experience that I think about all the time and worry that I'm acting inappropriately.
    I still disagree with you, however, that is a fair position in my opinion.

I also keep having the thought in the back of my mind, that we as logical, law abiding citizens that carry weapons are being broadbrushed with the Alex Jones's of the world. The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that I'm also considering it a teaching moment - where someone who is anti-2a gets to see a respectful, calm demeanored person that carries in light of the stereotype. In an intimate setting such as a home, there's a good chance it'd bring up a point of discussion about why I choose to carry. Those are the discussions we need, rather than the abhorrent bellowing back and forth that is currently happening about this issue. I know, I'm dreaming somewhat, but I'm an educator at heart

I agree 100%. No one other than my friends in my gun club ever needs to know that I conceal carry, the less people that know the better!!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Sponsored Links