Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "where are you living now that you need to carry a gun?!". Anywhere, Grandma, anywhere....

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "where are you living now that you need to carry a gun?!".

Anywhere, Grandma, anywhere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "where are you living now that you need to carry a gun?!".

Anywhere, Grandma, anywhere.
    True, although my current place of residence is what finally motivated me to get my CHL. Near the heroin capitol of the country.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    This just happened to me last weekend, I'm not used to worrying about being made by hugs! She grew up on a farm, which I think contributed to her not freaking out. She just said, "where are you living now that you need to carry a gun?!".
    More importantly, where are you carrying a gun that Grandma busts you on a bump frisk???
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedLady View Post
    So most of your friends don't know you conceal carry? That's very secret agent of you. ;)
    "Always carry, never tell." The only people who know I carry are a few friends who either also carry, or are in the process of getting their carry permits. The only reason they know is because it came up in conversation, not because I said I was carrying at that very moment.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedLady View Post
    My position is, I need to know because I have children and my sacred duty is their safety. I need to know where your weapon is so that I feel safe that it is secured, not that you are likely to leave your CH in your purse unsecured, but I have witnessed that very situation. If you are a friend of mine, I already know you have a CH. I'm not being hypocritical, I just want to know your weapon is secure while in my home.

So most of your friends don't know you conceal carry? That's very secret agent of you. ;)
    No offense, but why would your children be going through your guests purse or other belongings?

Have you not been successful at teaching them how to respect others?

My children have NEVER EVER gone through anyone's things while they are in my home. (Not even as toddlers)
    I would find it very embarrassing as a parent if my children ever went through anyone's purse of pockets.

For me, I try not to go into homes that aren't pro CC. All of my friends know I carry so I don't announce it every time I visit. I do not go to anybody's home that I have not taken time to get to know.

-
    1MoreGoodGuy, Sarge65 and Foxy like this.

CANT- Carry Always Never Tell
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Do you ask someone entering if they plan to kill you, rob you, etc.? I don't need to ask anyone anything. You, on the otherhand, are entering MY house and you don't know my views, my feelings toward guns (again, if I let you in I'll probably already know).

People obviously have far different views on guns and carrying for self protection. In forming the owner of any private residence you're entering while armed is respectful of their private property rights and a courtest--and ths people of this country are lacking on both.
    I disagree. I don't inform people I'm carrying a pocketknife, wallet, or cellphone either. I carry a gun every day to protect myself and my loved ones, and it stays hidden. It's a personal decision that has nothing to do with you, our interaction, or my visit. If you invite me into your home with stipulations, you should make them known before I accept the invitation.

Don't ask, Don't tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    More importantly, where are you carrying a gun that Grandma busts you on a bump frisk???
    4 o'clock IWB. I have it canted quite a bit, the end of the grip is tucked against my lower rib. She's an aggressive hugger, feels like she's going to break my ribs sometimes.

VIP Member
    This subject was discussed a couple of weeks ago here. I feel it is the homeowners responsibility to let someone know they do not want guns in their home. Not the carriers responsibility to ask.

Me personally, unless I'm in a state that requires it (such as SC) I will not tell. I also have no problem with someone coming to my home armed. Of course no one comes to my home that I don't know. I can understand your concern, since you have children at home.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    4 o'clock IWB. I have it canted quite a bit, the end of the grip is tucked against my lower rib. She's an aggressive hugger, feels like she's going to break my ribs sometimes.
    In my experience, anything that rides that high is not only uncomfortable, it also lends itself to that type of detection. The only time I have been hug-busted was with a high rider.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    In my experience, anything that rides that high is not only uncomfortable, it also lends itself to that type of detection. The only time I have been hug-busted was with a high rider.
    It's quite comfortable to me, even when driving. I also am not frequently being hugged by people other than my wife. I don't know that it's really that high, I have the CTAC holster as low as it can go with the cant. Maybe I just wear my pants too high. Anyway, sorry, I'm hijacking the thread. If you want to discuss more pm me.

VIP Member
    It's quite comfortable to me, even when driving. I also am not frequently being hugged by people other than my wife. I don't know that it's really that high, I have the CTAC holster as low as it can go with the cant. Maybe I just wear my pants too high.
    Sure, a lot of what works or doesn't work depends on physique. I definitely could not utilize a CTAC comfortably. I need a wide, snow-show type holster.
    Tuco

Most people know I carry all the time but there are a few that don't know. Before I go to someones home , who I know doesn't know I carry, I ask if they mind. Some might ask why on earth do you ask to do something that is your legal right. Well, it is my legal right to smoke but I sure ask before I smoke in someones home. It is my legal right to have mud on my shoes but I ask if I can wear shoes in someones home too. I don't want just anyone coming into my home with a firearm. For all I know all of you could be Wyatt Earp but for all I know you could also be Barney Fife. Just because someone can legally carry doesn't mean they should. Many seem to think our rights are all that matter. When you go into someones home it is THEIR castle, think that is why we have the castle doctrine.
    ArmedLady and brocktice like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Informing the owner of any private residence you're entering while armed is respectful of their private property rights and a courtesy
    That may be your opinion, and in fact may be the law in a few states (not mine, thankfully). However, how far would you expect this "courtesy" to be extended? Only to private homeowners? What about renters? What about small business owners? Many states do not even require permit holders to inform the police that they're carrying, unless they're asked.

If that's really the way you feel, you should either ask everyone who comes into your home if they're carrying, or post a "gun-free zone" sign on your front door.
    Badbullgator likes this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links