Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by minimalbrat Just because someone can legally carry doesn't mean they should. Many seem to think our rights are all that matter. When ...

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    Just because someone can legally carry doesn't mean they should. Many seem to think our rights are all that matter. When you go into someones home it is THEIR castle, think that is why we have the castle doctrine.
    This subject has nothing to do with the castle doctrine, FWIW.

What is the Castle Doctrine?
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Most people know I carry all the time but there are a few that don't know. Before I go to someones home , who I know doesn't know I carry, I ask if they mind. Some might ask why on earth do you ask to do something that is your legal right. Well, it is my legal right to smoke but I sure ask before I smoke in someones home. It is my legal right to have mud on my shoes but I ask if I can wear shoes in someones home too. I don't want just anyone coming into my home with a firearm. For all I know all of you could be Wyatt Earp but for all I know you could also be Barney Fife. Just because someone can legally carry doesn't mean they should. Many seem to think our rights are all that matter. When you go into someones home it is THEIR castle, think that is why we have the castle doctrine.
    If you ask me upon meeting me whether or not you can bring your gun into my home, the answer will be no, not because I don't want CC in my home, but because I do not trust your decision-making ability.
    Topsider, OD* and OldCorps like this.

I go in peoples homes and places of business all day six days a week 14 hours a day for my work and have my Kahr .40 in a hybrid holster on me.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

It is not their business. I do not tell.

If the person knows me well enough and knows that I am a CCW advocate and asks me to leave my gun outside, I will decide if the person is worth seeing or not. If not, I won't go. Otherwise my gun goes with me wherever I am allowed to carry it.
    ArmedLady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    This subject has nothing to do with the castle doctrine, FWIW.

What is the Castle Doctrine?
    It very much does. My home, rather I rent or own, is my castle. I make the rules here. I can protect myself here. Even the state understands I should have control of what happens in my home as to my defense. Who carries in my home should be up to me. I think we see two kinds of people. Those that care about every ones rights and those that only care about their own rights.
    ArmedLady likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by perris View Post
    If the person knows me well enough and knows that I am a CCW advocate and asks me to leave my gun outside, I will decide if the person is worth seeing or not. If not, I won't go. Otherwise my gun goes with me wherever I am allowed to carry it.
    I totally agree with you. You have the right to decide to go to somewhere if they don't want you to carry. They have the right to say if they want someone to carry in their home or not. Generally I don't care who carry's in my home. I know a few people I wouldn't want any where near me with a gun let alone in my home.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

It very much does. My home, rather I rent or own, is my castle. I make the rules here. I can protect myself here. Even the state understands I should have control of what happens in my home as to my defense. Who carries in my home should be up to me. I think we see two kinds of people. Those that care about every ones rights and those that only care about their own rights.
    No. The castle doctrine concerns your legal right to defend your life using deadly force inside your own home. It has nothing to do with concealed carry on private property.

You do have the right to tell people they can't carry weapons onto your private property. That's what "gun-free zone" signs are for. In the absence of this, expecting everyone to tell you they're carrying if they wouldn't tell anywhere else is unrealistic, IMO.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    A more accurate characterization is likely those who value your opinion, and those who don't. Another would be those who trust your judgment, and those who don't.
    atctimmy likes this.

ArmedLady
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    No offense, but why would your children be going through your guests purse or other belongings?

Have you not been successful at teaching them how to respect others?

My children have NEVER EVER gone through anyone's things while they are in my home. (Not even as toddlers)
    I would find it very embarrassing as a parent if my children ever went through anyone's purse of pockets.

For me, I try not to go into homes that aren't pro CC. All of my friends know I carry so I don't announce it every time I visit. I do not go to anybody's home that I have not taken time to get to know.

-
    Ok, now you have gone too far. You are questioning my parenting and making assumptions that are very offensive to me. Children are children, they are unpredictable, that's why it is important as a responsible parent and gun owner to ensure that all weapons that enter MY home are secured. Period. If they are holstered on your person, no problem, in your purse, then it will be secured in some appropriate way. If only Adam Lanza's mother felt as strongly! And just for the record, my children know gun safety rules and are NOT rude children who jump on other people's belongings to go through them. How ridiculous of you to make such an ass-umption. I am the responsible adult, it is MY duty to provide a secure environment for them in my home, in which I can control. Outside in the unpredictable world is why I carry. If a guest's unsecured weapon were bumped and dropped and killed someone, that's just a nightmare I am not willing to even allow the remotest possibility of occurring in my home. You can't be complacent! Casually, Nobody enters my home that I do not know well and consider a friend, ever. For official business is a different story, and appropriate measures will be taken. MY friends would not ever consider telling ME what is appropriate in MY home, so why would I assume any different when entering their homes? Thank most of you for your replies. You have given me something to think about regarding being too open about my CHL. BTW, I never discuss it in public, this is the first time I have done so. And for those of you thoughtful folks, don't worry, I have weapons secured throughout my house via secured easy access. (and I thank God my children, their cousins, and their friends will NEVER have access.)
    tacman605, brocktice and archer51 like this.

I suppose another option would be to place a clearing barrel by your front door. That's not exactly subtle.

ArmedLady and Sarge65 like this.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I don't say crap. I would rather just stay off the subject.
    BugDude likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ouch! Someone hit a nerve and had better duck and cover.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's just as easy to turn this around. If you visit somebody else in their home, do you expect them to tell you if they have guns on the premises, or on their person? Sure, it's their home, but wouldn't it be a "courtesy" for them to let you know?

Sounds ridiculous, right?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    It's just as easy to turn this around. If you visit somebody else in their home, do you expect them to tell you if they have guns on the premises, or on their person? Sure, it's their home, but wouldn't it be a "courtesy" for them to let you know?

Sounds ridiculous, right?
    Better still, let them know you are carrying, and ask them if it is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Better still, let them know you are carrying, and ask them if it is OK.
    Of course, if they have a sign like this on their front door, it kinda takes the guesswork out of things.
    Attached Images

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Links