Defensive Carry banner

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

20K views 257 replies 122 participants last post by  Kryptic35 
G
#1 ·
I'm concerned about entering friend's homes and carrying my concealed weapon without their knowledge. I know that a sign must be posted in Texas according to code, to prevent you from entering, but I feel that it's a courtesy to ask and discuss it with the homeowner. My husband and I do not want weapons coming into our home without our knowledge.

Currently, I have a friend that is scared of guns, so I secure it in my vehicle when I am at her home. When I am at a friend's house that does not know I carry, I secure it in my vehicle also.

What do you do?

Thank you for your replies. I am new to carrying.

#155 ·
It's a matter of respect. When I'm in someone else's home, either I don't carry in there, or I get their permission first. I do not want someone bringing cigarettes, alcohol, or other things into my home, even though they are all legal. I should therefore give others the same respect.

The problem with the entire "rights" argument today, is that we think our "rights" (our being general, not gun owners) trumps everyone else's rights. They don't. Our rights, like us, are all created equal.

Reactions: Ogre
#156 ·
But I have seen this before and I dont understand it.

Why is it disrespectful to safely carry a firearm into someone's home? (Esp. if you dont even know their views on it?). To me, that makes the assumption that you are doing something wrong...something dangerous, something dishonest, something that they need to be concerned about. Is that accurate? Are you more dangerous to them? Do they need to be concerned about you because you carry a gun?

Why is it different than carrying in your cell phone? THAT is often more distracting and certainly disrespectful (IMO) if it rings and interrupts people or you ignore your hosts to attend to it.

No one else should even know you are carrying....how is it disrespectful? (Again, if you know someone is anti-gun, that might be different but if you dont even know?)
Cigarettes, alcohol...dont those things usually have an affect on the people around them? Smoke stink, drinking, perhaps unruly behavior? I dont see the parallel with a concealed weapon. Again...esp if you dont even know how the people feel about guns. (Why would you assume a negative reaction?)

G
#159 ·
Thank you for your replies. I've gained a new perspective. I will definitely be more conservative with who I tell, but will continue to respect my friends homes who know about my CH. My position on my home has not changed.

#162 ·
My position on my home has not changed.
That's fine and certainly your right.

It also is the exact same perspective as the anti-gun people who think that legal gun carriers cannot be trusted and are not safe.

#160 ·
don't ask, don't tell, and conceal deep so nobody will see it by accident. simple as that.

why create problems by bringing up the topic?

#161 · (Edited)
I have this metal sign posted in a window next to my front door.

Text Line Font Signage Rectangle

Obviously, I have no problem with any of my guests carrying and since this is Arizona I don't much care whether it's concealed or open.

YMMV

#165 ·
Well we do in public but that is another can of worms. You have every right to not have a gun in your home if you dont want to. But, if you dont want that then you need to put a sign on your door saying so or say so yourself before I enter. I cant read your mind. And im flat not going to tell you though if you have it posted I wont bring it your house.

Something doesnt make sense to me though. Nobody is in my home unless I know them. Well. I already know if they carry or not. I built enough trust in the person to allow them in my home then I have enough trust not to worry about their carry.
It seems you have a lot of people in your home that either you dont know very well or something. I dont get the concern you have.

#167 ·
I certainly dont trust everyone, period....and I dont know their CC status or have background checks done on company. Friends may bring partners I dont know to gatherings. I dont search people that come to my house and I dont hide the 'silver' when company comes. I dont go thru the rooms of my house after to see if anything has been stolen.

Once again, *disproportionally IMO*, guns are demonized.

I'm an adult....and as such, dont really allow random people on my property. If I had kids, I sure as Hell wouldnt. Guns would have nothing to do with it and I'd be much more worried about someone backing over them with their car in the driveway or them drowning in the pool. Or shooting themselves with a gun that the *parent* didnt properly secure.

Reactions: tcox4freedom
#168 ·
I apologize to the OP for the 'tone' of my post above if it seems too emphatic.

Armed Lady came asking for advice or information. I do not ever wish to discourage that.

Please view my posts as 'a different perspective.'

#170 ·
170 posts, 159 likes...impressive. Has anyone changed their minds about informing/not informing/requesting permission as a result of this thread?

#173 ·
Nope.

Still not going to tell you what's under my clothes and still not going to ask you what's under your clothes.

If you announce to me that you don't want me to carry certain objects in your home, I'll most likely make the decision not to enter your gun free victim zone.

G
#174 ·
More ridiculousness. If you like your statistics so much, give all CHLs your bank account numbers and passwords. If you wouldn't trust them with that, then why isn't it reasonable of me to protect my most precious treasures, by asking my guests 2 simple questions? "Are you carrying? Is your weapon secure?"

We had an officer recently kill himself accidentally while cleaning his weapon, he had failed to clear the chamber. Human error, imagine that. There was an air Marshall who left their loaded weapon in the airport restroom, after washing hands. These were professionals. We are NOT perfect beings 100% all the time. Just because you have a CHL does not make you infallible. Sad mistakes happen, why am I being attacked for taking a simple step to prevent a mistake from happening in my home?

Look, I am not here on this forum to accuse, demean, or distort any one else's opinions, but that's exactly what you are doing to me. I'm shaking down many fictional guests, I'm denying them their rights to bear arms, my children are wild ill mannered and go through guests belongings, and now I'm left wing, gun demonizing, anti gun, and victim. Just because I ask a simple question? What hypocrisy.

I came to this site to educate myself as a new CHL holder and learn from others experiences. I am wasting my time here defending my rights in my own home. Amazing.

This is not what I envisioned when I posted this question. I expected honest discourse, not wild assumptions and sillyness. I appreciate those who answered informatively. This is not the site for me.

#177 ·
My family and friends all know I'm getting one and plan on carrying concealed. None of them have said anything about having or not having it in their house or around them so I'll assume they're not really concerned. They're friends and family, there's trust in those relationships.

#179 ·
Sometimes the arrogance astounds me. Everyone thinks they're right while everyone else is wrong.

#180 ·
If you're referring to my comment, I didn't say "everyone" was wrong, only the OP, in expecting everyone crossing her threshold to somehow anticipate her wishes without them being explicitly stated. If you need further explanation, you can refer to my other posts in this thread.

FWIW, having an opinion and backing it up with logical arguments isn't "arrogance." It's called "rational thinking." The OP is arguing from a purely emotional ("irrational") point of view, IMO, not unlike the anti-gun crowd.

#184 ·
It is just as reasonable to expect a home owner to ask every visitor if they're carrying a gun as it is to expect every visitor to inform every home owner if they'er carrying one. Or unreasonable if that fills your glass of water better.

What I find unreasonable are those who assume that every permit carrier (or anyone else owning a gun for that matter) is going to handle--defined as having the gun on their person--in a safe manner. We haven't all had military training (like it doesn't have its share of NDs) or NRA training or any other realistic safety course. I know people with guns who shouldn't have them. I refuse to be around them when they have one in possession. They are that unsafe. Just because one possesses a permit don't mean one knows how to handle a firearm.

Reactions: Ogre and 65108
#185 ·
What I find unreasonable are those who assume that every permit carrier ... is going to handle ... in a safe manner.
I don't recall anyone actually saying that.

I do recall plenty of people stating the obvious, which is that you shouldn't invite people whom you don't trust into your home.

Regardless, if a concealed handgun stays concealed, what difference does it make if the person carrying it knows how to handle it, anyway?

Reactions: brocktice
#187 ·
Eureka! "Except that, as a homeowner, you set the rules in your house."

My point all along.

#191 ·
I think the point that the homeowner sets the rules is dead on. Following up on that, a person that is a guest in the home doesn't treat it like it's their home, they treat it like they're a guest (or should). That means the guest takes nothing for granted - including concealed carry. I for one, would throw someone out of my house for carrying concealed without asking me first.

If they don't have enough respect for me to tell me, they don't have enough respect for me to be in my house. Goodbye. On the other hand. If they asked - sure, come on in. Matter of fact, come over here and let me show you what I carry.

The difference isn't "Gun rights" or "Gun control people." The difference is showing respect to the owner of the home.

Reactions: Ogre
#226 ·
I think the point that the homeowner sets the rules is dead on. Following up on that, a person that is a guest in the home doesn't treat it like it's their home, they treat it like they're a guest (or should). That means the guest takes nothing for granted - including concealed carry. I for one, would throw someone out of my house for carrying concealed without asking me first. If they don't have enough respect for me to tell me, they don't have enough respect for me to be in my house. Goodbye. On the other hand. If they asked - sure, come on in. Matter of fact, come over here and let me show you what I carry.

The difference isn't "Gun rights" or "Gun control people." The difference is showing respect to the owner of the home.
Wow, so 'concealed' doesnt mean anything? Otherwise, they'd be open carrying.

And AGAIN...how is it *disrespectful* to cc *anywhere legal* or *if you dont even know the homeowner's thoughts on it?*

Never in my life has it even come up in, what...THOUSANDS of visits and visitors? Not one person has ever asked in 50+ yrs...and in the time I've been carrying, never run into a knowingly anti-gun homeowner to even think about asking....altho I wouldnt examine it too closely :)

How is legally cc'ing disrespectful? WHat is disrespectful about legally carrying a gun? (Esp if you do not know of any anti-gun sentiment from the homeowner...and I assume Mr. Jem is NOT?)

#192 ·
I do keep my weapon on at all times unless at work I have a ppk which is always in my car if I need a small ccw however the only time I declare I have one is if I am taking off my over shirt or jacket I ask the owner if they mind that I'm openly carrying with my over shirt remove if they say they prefer I not then I simply leave my shirt on or I go to my vehicle and "disarm"(switch to ppk).

#194 ·
Wasn't armed lady a member when she started the thread?

#198 ·
One thing I do however that I did not say earlier if I'm with friends I do inform them that I'm carrying so they do know if something happens to expect a report from the other direction. I simply tell them I'm armed. If I am in a house with small children which happens rarely in a place that doesn't know that I carry such as my family would. I ask the owner if they are ok with me carrying all of my friends have either enquired about what I'm carrying or ask advice in getting one of there own I've never had a negative response as most of my friends are like minded individuals. The only person that I know right off hand that has ever questioned why I carried after I presented my reasoning they then thanked me for thinking of not only myself but the others that are no protected. And any time I'm over they ask if I'm armed and then tell me that even though they don't have a weapon they fell safer when I'm there armed

#199 ·
if I'm with friends I do inform them that I'm carrying so they do know if something happens to expect a report from the other direction.
Telling people you're carrying kinda defeats the whole purpose of concealed carry, no?

Agree with OD (a couple of posts above). Sounds like braggadocio.

Reactions: 9MMare and OD*
#200 ·
I feel like, if the laws of the land allow you to do something, you may assume it's ok. If someone wants different rules they can tell me. This is how it is with private businesses in my state. I think it's fine to treat private homes the same way.

Reactions: 9MMare
#206 ·
Do you guys when you go shooting not let the range know your about to shoot. By saying hot range or range ready or do you wait until your best friend is hanging a target down range to start denting primers. i want the people i care about to be safe you wouldn't want to start shooting only to have your best friend or your wife step in front of you and be the victim when they could have been one of the survivors. I don't know what kind of safety measures if any you employ but i don't want to injure an enasent bystandard

#207 ·
Do you guys when you go shooting not let the range know your about to shoot. By saying hot range or range ready or do you wait until your best friend is hanging a target down range to start denting primers.
Not sure what you mean. The indoor ranges I shoot at use academy-style lanes with mechanical target hangers. Nobody goes downrange, ever. We're all wearing earplugs/muffs. Nobody says anything unless they're standing right next to you. We just do our thing.

The outdoor (rifle) range I use has a range officer who calls the shots (literally, pun not intended). Totally different environments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.