Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Topsider Of course, if they have a sign like this on their front door, it kinda takes the guesswork out of things. ...

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    Of course, if they have a sign like this on their front door, it kinda takes the guesswork out of things.

But you should still ask, as a courtesy and as a matter of respect.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If you ask me upon meeting me whether or not you can bring your gun into my home, the answer will be no, not because I don't want CC in my home, but because I do not trust your decision-making ability.
    But you should still ask, as a courtesy and as a matter of respect.
    Now I'm confused. Are you playing the devil's advocate at this point?
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

No. The castle doctrine concerns your legal right to defend your life using deadly force inside your own home. It has nothing to do with concealed carry on private property.

You do have the right to tell people they can't carry weapons onto your private property. That's what "gun-free zone" signs are for. In the absence of this, expecting everyone to tell you they're carrying if they wouldn't tell anywhere else is unrealistic, IMO.
    I think you missed the castle point. You have every right to your opinion and I would never say other wise. I wouldn't want anyone in my home that could care less about how I feel.
    ArmedLady likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    Now I'm confused. Are you playing Devil's Advocate at this point?
    There is a sarcasm button around here, but I can't seem to find it. I was agreeing with you.
    Topsider and atctimmy like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

There is a sarcasm button around here, but I can't seem to find it. I was agreeing with you.
    I kinda thought so. Throw me a "winkie" next time.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I think you missed the castle point. You have every right to your opinion and I would never say other wise. I wouldn't want anyone in my home that could care less about how I feel.
    Forget the castle doctrine. It's just confusing things at this point.

The issue is whether or not you, the homeowner, are comfortable with lawfully concealed handguns. If you aren't, you should post a sign rather than expecting everyone else to read your mind.
    1MoreGoodGuy and OldCorps like this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Always carry; Never tell
    jrclen, thoricuncle and Ksgunner like this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Also keep in mind that telling an individual that you visit will likely result in that person telling others that you carry. People like to gossip and share secrets, so you can't exactly pick and choose who finds out. The person you tell may not be offended, but as they tell two friends, and they tell two friends, etc., word will get around to those you probably don't want to have the conversation with.

I'd suggest you play it by ear and just do what feels natural. Before long, carrying the gun is what will feel natural.
    ArmedLady and OldCorps like this.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    My barber works out of his house. He is liberal in everything except guns. We have often talked about the RKBA and we seem to agree on most of this. I asked him if he would mind if I carried in his shop. ( I have to remove my coat to get a hair cut). He said no , I could not carry there.He was afraid another customer might be upset by my gun. I know I should find another barber but it took me two years to find one who cuts my hair the way I like it and I have been to every shop in town. Besides that I am only in his shop for about twenty minutes at a time when I go so I put up with it. Also I live in SC and we do have to tell someone if we come into thier house armed.
    You should read this...
    Barber, 79, brutally beaten, dies in Bloomingdale, New Jersey | 7online.com
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I don't tell, none of their business.

Similarly, I don't tell them about the condom in my pocket.

If I ever have need to use either one in their house, I will inform them at that point.
    MamaMaria likes this.

I don't understand the need to tell other people they are carrying. If I was going to a friends house and thought they would have a problem at all with it, I would leave it in the car locked up.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Since we all have a Right to keep and bear Arms, you should assume that people are freely exercising that particular Right. If you want people to relinquish their Right while on your property, it is your responsibility to inform the people of your desire to exercise your right to refuse entry to anyone (people with guns) who you don't want on your property.

We also all have a Right to free speech and you should assume that people will exercise this Right freely. If you want people to relinquish their Right to free speech while on your property, it is your responsibility to inform the people of your desire to exercise your right to refuse entry to anyone (people who speak freely) who you don't want on your property.

The bottom line is, we all have Rights. If you want to place limits on someone else's Rights while they are on your property, it is your responsibility to inform that person of your intention to limit their Rights. Someone else's Right to bear Arms in no way infringes upon your Rights. It is not up to the bearer of the Rights to play 20 questions with you about which of their Rights you might or might not have intention of limiting while the bearer of the Rights is on your property. If you want to create a gun free victim zone on your property, you are free to do so...there are plenty of signs to choose from which you should buy and post on your property so that those of us who exercise their Right to bear Arms will know that we are not welcome while we are exercising our Right to bear Arms. If you choose not to post signs, it is your responsibility to verbally communicate your desire to create a gun free victim zone on your property by announcing to everyone that they must not carry Arms on your property.

Assume that people will exercise their Rights freely. Openly communicate your desire to place limits on other people's Rights while they are on your property.

I will not enter your dwelling until you invite me to do so and if you have certain rules that you would like me to follow, you need to openly communicate your rules. Until you do so, I can only assume that only normal behavior will be accepted and yes, legally carrying a concealed handgun is normal behavior.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

With regard to the OP and subsequent comments about kids, if anyone can tell me that they have kids that have NEVER gotten into anything they were not supposed to, I think I can probably safely call them a liar or delusional. The problem for the OP was an armed guest that LEFT THEIR FIREARM UNATTENDED AROUND CHILDREN. I don't expect people to tell me whether they are armed, but after something like that I certainly understand the OP's reservations.
    ArmedLady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    With regard to the OP and subsequent comments about kids, if anyone can tell me that they have kids that have NEVER gotten into anything they were not supposed to, I think I can probably safely call them a liar or delusional. The problem for the OP was an armed guest that LEFT THEIR FIREARM UNATTENDED AROUND CHILDREN. I don't expect people to tell me whether they are armed, but after something like that I certainly understand the OP's reservations.
    The concern is legitimate, but more related to the pitfalls of off-body carry.

Another option: just wand everybody's handbag when they come to visit. Problem solved.

image_6887.jpg
    brocktice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Children going through someone else's personal items is a problem.

Leaving your firearm unattended and accessible to children is an even bigger problem.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Links