Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? - Page 7

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy Children going through someone else's personal items is a problem. Leaving your firearm unattended and accessible to children is an even ...

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Children going through someone else's personal items is a problem.

Leaving your firearm unattended and accessible to children is an even bigger problem.
    I agree about the children, and that's a behavior that needs to be corrected. If children always did what they were supposed to do, however, there wouldn't be much to parenting. I'm not saying it's acceptable behavior.

CJM
    No, I don't tell people I'm carrying when I enter their home.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    With regard to the OP and subsequent comments about kids, if anyone can tell me that they have kids that have NEVER gotten into anything they were not supposed to, I think I can probably safely call them a liar or delusional. The problem for the OP was an armed guest that LEFT THEIR FIREARM UNATTENDED AROUND CHILDREN. I don't expect people to tell me whether they are armed, but after something like that I certainly understand the OP's reservations.
    I'm not a liar; nor am I delusional. My kids have been taught to RESPECT others and HONOR us as parents. If I, or another adult tells them something is off limits they honor our authority & respect our wishes. My son is a teenager who saved his friends from a firearm tragedy a couple of years ago. (I posted the story on this forum.)

My daughter is almost 11 and she and my son have been brought up according to Christian beliefs & Biblical instruction. Both have been saved by the grace of God and have a great respect for other people. My son & daughter both has been around other kids that haven't been taught to respect & honor their parents. But, if/when these kids begin doing things they shouldn't, my kids either come home or call us to come get them.

-
    preachertim likes this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I'm not a liar; nor am I delusional. My kids have been taught to RESPECT others and HONOR us as parents. If I, or another adult tells them something is off limits they honor our authority & respect our wishes.
    Wait, so your kids have never, even as toddlers gotten into anything they were not supposed to? Ever? If so, I stand by my statement. They do not have the cognitive development at that age to truly understand such limits, and are biologically inclined to test rules and limits. It's how they learn.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Wait, so your kids have never, even as toddlers gotten into anything they were not supposed to that you found out about? Ever? If so, I stand by my statement.
    There, fixed. So many who think "My kid never" just didn't catch them.
    brocktice and Betty like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

To add to the weapons around children, when I have friends that have children come over, I make sure all my firearms are secured in my room in case they get in there without anyone knowing. If I go over there that have kids, it stays on my person holstered.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

arkansas state law says i have to. i cant tell you the last time i was in someone elses house.
    preachertim likes this.
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Wow. I'm glad some of you people's kids are so well behaved. We have a 13 month old. I'm not ashamed to admit that she wouldn't hesitate to get into any purse or other luggage someone brings in. We stop her immediately of course, but I still wouldn't be happy if someone brought in a bag with a firearm floating around in it and just laid it on the floor or something.

That said, I carry my gun in an IWB holster, concealed. Sorry for the crude analogy, but I carry something else into people's homes and unless I'm there to use it, it's also going to stay in my pants. I don't need to mention to them that it's there, even though they'd probably be offended if they saw it.

Unless they ask, it doesn't need to be mentioned. Of course my friends know me, and would expect me to have a firearm.
    preachertim likes this.

VIP Member
    Your kid will not make his or her way to my firearm, period.
    atctimmy and Ghost1958 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Always carry never tell
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I've been through this also and I find keeping my concealment secret is the best policy. Even my brother and family hang around me for days at a time and never realize I am carrying. I just have safety rules I follow and more strict awareness when kids are around. I refrain from wrestling with kids, laying down or getting in positions that could dislodge my gun or point the muzzle. Excellent topic and responses.

I sometimes wonder why my "anti" family would think if they ever knew that I CC during the holiday visits.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

Don't tell them

I think we had a similar thread a couple of years ago. "CCW'ing in another's residence"

My opinion has not changed. I find it hard to believe that, as a group, we are so concerned with personal safety that we won't even go to the corner store to get milk without being equipped with lethal force. Yet, we are willing to let others in to our home with firearms that are not under our direct control? Not me...I want to be informed before anyone enters my home with a firearm.
    ArmedLady, preachertim and Ogre like this.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

ArmedLady
    Having lived most of my adult life on a military installation and living in and around military carrying much bigger things than allowed in civilian homes, 99% of the time never disturbed me. They are trained professionals. The only time it did was while we were under Threatcon Delta. I have lived around the world supporting my active duty spouse and also worked on a Marine camp. What an awesome bunch of professionals, it was my honor and pleasure to work with. Yes, they are trained to kill. Did I worry? Was I afraid? Nope. I thank God for them. You are making assumptions about me and my kids, based on my question and opinion. I DO know how valuable the 2nd A. is and freedom of speech! My husband fought for that right! Having lived overseas and in countries that do not allow personal handguns, I treasure my rights even more so than the average American. I saw what happened in Cumbria, England (2010) where an armed lunatic with a shotgun went around driving and shooting his own brother and innocent countrymen for HOURS because their police are not armed and did not have any weapons or trained personnel available to immediately stop him.

What does worry me, is Joe Blow civilian or Joanne, coming into my home without respect for my family's safety. I don't think it is unreasonable having experienced someone's irresponsibility, to expect secure responsible carrying in MY HOME... A gun free zone sign, is not necessary because my friends respect me, as I respect them. I think too many use the word "friend" too loosely. If you are not my friend, you are a trespasser. If I welcome you into my home, I will ask you if you have secured your weapon, if you are offended by that, you are not the type I would associate with in the first place. And I'm not afraid to ask you not to wear shoes in my house either.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links