Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will respect anybody not wanting me to carry in their house. That being said I will also leave if not allowed to carry. I ...

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

I will respect anybody not wanting me to carry in their house. That being said I will also leave if not allowed to carry. I will not trust anybody but myself to protect myself and my family. I will not inform upon entering, but if you find out please feel free to ask me to leave.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe you need this sign instead.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

I carry into other people's homes without asking, it is my business. I would allow someone else to carry in my own home without asking as well. As long as they carry responsibly, I would prefer it on their person rather than left in a vehicle that could get broken into or they forget to lock.

The key is responsible carry. If they don't carry responsibly, we will have a problem. A car is more dangerous than a firearm, and I allow visitors to park their vehicles on/near my property. But if they do donuts in my front yard, we will have a problem.
    remington79 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Wait, so your kids have never, even as toddlers gotten into anything they were not supposed to? Ever? If so, I stand by my statement. They do not have the cognitive development at that age to truly understand such limits, and are biologically inclined to test rules and limits. It's how they learn.
    No, they honestly haven't gotten into anything they shouldn't. We have always set limits. But, we've also allowed plenty of room for discovery & exploration.

There are only two things I can think of that may fall into the category being discussed. Once, my son went into our bedroom and opened a draw that he wasn't told to stay out of; and he was at a neighbors house and shot his airsoft gun at a target his friend had placed on the side of the home.

My kids have had to grow up responsibly. I'm disabled and they take care of me a LOT. My son has been taking care of our property since he was eight years old. This includes driving our John Deere tractor and bush hogging the pastures by himself since he was "8". (He enjoys performing magic tricks, playing airsoft war & video games; after he finishes his lessons.)

My daughter (10yo) loves to cook & helps keep the house clean. She is also learning to sew. (She picked up the desire during her drama class while preparing costumes for her play.)

Not all kids have to grow up & be STUPID & irresponsible. Some of us are blessed!

-
    Sarge65 likes this.

F350 wrote: "Also keep in mind that telling an individual that you visit will likely result in that person telling others that you carry. People like to gossip and share secrets, so you can't exactly pick and choose who finds out. The person you tell may not be offended, but as they tell two friends, and they tell two friends, etc., word will get around to those you probably don't want to have the conversation with."

This is exactly what would happen, and all it would take is for some AH Liberal who doesn't like you—or better yet—two of them together to "claim" they were "waving" a gun around at them, and. you'd have just bought more grief than you ever thought possible, not to mention your CC license. Don't be naive and think they wouldn't do that—those are tactics right out of the Liberal Idiot's & Liars Handbook.

Carrying concealed means just what it says: CONCEALED. By telling someone you're carrying a piece, you might as well be holding it in your teeth. If you don't want me carrying into your humble abode then post a sign at the door, and I'll stay away. I have no way of knowing you don't have a feud going on with a crazy neighbor or demented son-in-law who hates your guts, and might come on a killing spree to your house while I'm there.

When I'm outside my house, I carry... but I announce it to NO ONE... and, although I attempt to avoid places and states where I am disallowed to protect myself and mine, if I am forced to frequent such places, I don't give a tinker's dam what state I'm in.
    remington79 likes this.
    "Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves." D.H. Lawrence

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    There are only two things I can think of that may fall into the category being discussed. Once, my son went into our bedroom and opened a draw that he wasn't told to stay out of;
    This is all I'm saying, not to mention the times that maybe parents don't even realize a kid would do something, so it's not forbidden.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedLady View Post
    What does worry me, is Joe Blow civilian or Joanne, coming into my home without respect for my family's safety. I don't think it is unreasonable having experienced someone's irresponsibility, to expect secure responsible carrying in MY HOME... A gun free zone sign, is not necessary because my friends respect me, as I respect them. I think too many use the word "friend" too loosely. If you are not my friend, you are a trespasser. If I welcome you into my home, I will ask you if you have secured your weapon, if you are offended by that, you are not the type I would associate with in the first place. And I'm not afraid to ask you not to wear shoes in my house either.
    This post makes wonder how many people you have in your home.

Many of the disagreements here come from two people not understanding each others paradigm. My example is you and I. The wife and I live pretty far away from family and do not entertain very often. We just had a couple and their kids over last weekend but before that it had been months since we had folks over for dinner. We just don't have many guests and when we do they are accompanied by myself or the wife.

I would guess that you probably entertain more often and your concerns in this area are due to a higher volume of people in your home. To me it's just not a big deal.

On the other hand if I were visiting someone and they confronted me about the possibility of my being armed I'd probably be offended. I suppose it would depend on their presentation.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Im not sure I understand the concept of someone armed in my home. Probably because I dont let anyone into my home unless they are a close friend and if they are they will be carrying. Thats a given. Anyone coming in my home outside of that category has forced their way in and been shot before they crossed the door frame.

I dont tell anyone im carrying in their home or in public though for anyone that knows me well its a given that I am.
    Had never thought of this before. Its my right to carry. Your right to not have me carry in your home. On you to post a sign or bill board or tell me before I enter that you dont want me to carry in your home. If you dont do that I will you wont know and no harm no foul.

I've done both-- carried and said nothing, and also hidden in my car. The times I hide it in the car is when there are a lot of kids that will be there. No fear of the kids, just some parent going berserk that her princess was near a guy with a gun if I was made.

All my friends know if they see me, I'm carrying a gun.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

If I wanted my friends to know I was carrying in their house, then I would OC. If I didn't want my friends to know I was carrying in their house, then I would CC.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Seems like there are a lot of people on here demanding respect and courtesy, because it's "your house". Guess it takes all kinds of folks to fill up the freeway.

I wouldn't go to your house, if I have to bow and scrape, and/or ask permission or empty my pockets prior to entering. Period. I'm thinking you wouldn't have many house guests either. If you don't trust me, please don't invite me over.

If you come onto my property, you are trusted and invited on by me. Because I trust you, I don't need to question/frisk you at the property line. I expect the same courtesy from my friends. As I've said earlier, I carry always, and expect my friends to do the same. It's my social obligation and choice.

Seems like much to do about nothing frankly.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedLady View Post
    My position is, I need to know because I have children and my sacred duty is their safety. I need to know where your weapon is so that I feel safe that it is secured, not that you are likely to leave your CH in your purse unsecured, but I have witnessed that very situation. If you are a friend of mine, I already know you have a CH. I'm not being hypocritical, I just want to know your weapon is secure while in my home.
    This is a valid concern, but I think you're coming at it from the wrong perspective. You cannot (unless you make everyone who comes into your home submit to a strip search, or use some other invasive technology) know that everyone who comes to your home isn't carrying something dangerous to your children. Not even if you ask them directly, and most especially if you rely on other people having manners which match your preference. The real estate agent who stops by to chat, the plumber who comes to repair the faucet, or even just your ditzy friend you love dearly - ALL of them might be armed, or carrying other dangerous things. They might have THOUGHT they put the j-frame in the glove box before ringing your doorbell, but not done it. They thought they put the Drano they just bought in the bag with the new mop, but they put it in their handbag. They can't be relied upon, not when the safety of your children is at stake.

So you have to assume that everyone who comes into your home may be carrying something dangerous. That's not a scary thing, people carry stuff dangerous to kids all the time and never think about it - a swiss army knife, prescription drugs, even just a bottle of Advil for headaches. But it means that when someone else is in your home, you want to do two things: first you want to make sure that whatever they bring in is not accessible to your children. Not a biggie - when they set down their purse on the floor, just pick it up, set it on top of the fridge, and explain that you don't want the kids getting into it. And so on.

The other thing you want to do is observe the Charleton Heston rule of gun control - you never, ever want there to be guns in the room and not be in control of at least one of them. And the simplest way to achieve that is that whenever someone else is in your home - your friend, the Avon lady, the plumber - have your gun on you. Because the other person might have a gun, and, as the responses to this thread have taught you, that person might be less than forthcoming about it.

As for insisting that everyone disarm before they enter your home - anyone who can't be trusted with a secured gun in your home shouldn't be admitted to your home, not even unarmed. Well, not unless they have a warrant.
    brocktice likes this.

Everyone has friends... yea some are shiny and some are blued as well. but honestly how about taking your friends out shooting guns to see how comfortable they are. Take them shooting your gun(s) with you to see how they feel if they don't have a gun to toot about. SD doesn't say that you have to tell but truely though when I get my Beretta this week I'd like to take my friends out for a blast at the gun range and get my hours bang with it. Hell whether I myself put the hundreds of rounds threw the weapon or my friends come help break it in with some laughs with me I don't care one way or the other. But if you're coming to their property you'd better inform them as people take things the wrong way all the time in some way shape or form. Plus it's really being polite and friendly also.

Nope it stays on me...I just don't say a thing..

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links