Defensive Carry banner

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

20K views 257 replies 122 participants last post by  Kryptic35 
G
#1 ·
I'm concerned about entering friend's homes and carrying my concealed weapon without their knowledge. I know that a sign must be posted in Texas according to code, to prevent you from entering, but I feel that it's a courtesy to ask and discuss it with the homeowner. My husband and I do not want weapons coming into our home without our knowledge.

Currently, I have a friend that is scared of guns, so I secure it in my vehicle when I am at her home. When I am at a friend's house that does not know I carry, I secure it in my vehicle also.

What do you do?

Thank you for your replies. I am new to carrying.

#208 ·
Nope, unless they know you carry and specifically ask you NOT to bring your weapon into their home or they have signage banning weapons in their home.

Gun carry is about self defense and every time you are without that protection (leaving it in your car) it's just like driving without your seatbelt...IMO

#211 ·
Here there are several ranges that are outdoors were you have to walk down range and hang your target then once you get back online you then after everyone is behind the line identify that you are about to fire so that everyone has there muffs on and is ready to shoot. I guess that i may be old fashioned but, the safety of others is top priority. i dont want to have a unknowing friend or relative move in front of me before i start firing in a defensive situation when i could have prevented it by simply telling them im packing.

#248 ·
The difference is the range is not a high stress environment and everyone has the expectation that shots are going to be fired in a certain direction. In someone's home, if something happens where you feel the need to engage a target, the fight or flight feeling has already struck the others and in their panic, and possibly your tunnel vision, having said something beforehand won't mean much.

The only way I would expect everyone to behave properly in a firefight is if we had trained together for that very instance repeatedly. The original premise of this thread means this hasn't happened. When the bullets start flying, everything you think you know goes out the window. Training (practice) is what makes the difference in those situations.

#216 ·
I would always carry, and never tell. If something happened at your freinds house and you dont have your gun to protect yourself or your family and freinds, then you would probably feel pretty bad about leaving your protection in your car. The only bad thing that would happen, if you concealed your weapon in your freinds house, is that you would become a very bad hug giver! lol

#231 ·
Here's how I feel about entering other people's homes when I'm carrying. If I'm entering the home of somebody that I know well, chances are they know that I'm carrying already, in which case, it's a non-issue. If I'm entering the home of somebody that I don't know quite as well yet, but who I know is of similar beliefs as me, I will politely and quietly ask them if it is ok with them if I carry in their home. It is, in my opinion, a courteous thing to do.

There was an instance of this back in October, when my wife's unit was having a Halloween party for the Marines with families/children. The party was to be at the residence of a SSgt in the company. I know this SSgt to be more right-leaning politically, and assumed that he was more than likely pro-gun. However, knowing that there would be a lot of children around that weren't mine, I made sure to gain his permission ahead of time to carry in his home. I did so privately before we left. I could tell from his response that he was somewhat apprehensive about it, due to the number of people that would be there, and especially the number of kids that are not his own, but he informed me that he trusts me well enough, and thanked me for seeking his permission.

I never felt it was too much trouble to ask, and I would've followed his wishes should he have asked me to keep it in my vehicle.

#233 ·
Carrying my weapon is neither illegal nor immoral. If they don't know about it, no harm is done. If they someday figure it out, I will be able to remind them that the whole time i have known them, nothing has happened. If they are in the tight group that know I carry, they probably assume that I am. One friend likes to hug me and try to figure out what I am carrying and where. She's pretty fun and fooling her is good practice for concealment.

#234 ·
In Alaska under AS 11.61.220 (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person... carries a weapon... (B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;

That said, I tend to not stray far from those who I trust with the knowledge that I CC.

#239 ·
In Alaska under AS 11.61.220 (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person... carries a weapon... (B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;
And i thought California had a lock on bad laws.

#236 ·
"...privately owned weapons are not allowed on military installations,..."

Not quite true. Those residing in base housing can keep thier firearms on base (May or may not need to register those firearms with the SPs/MPs.). Some bases even have trap/skeet ranges maintained by MWR, open for use by base pesonel and guests.

#244 ·
Why do some people have such a problem with this?

If you don't want something in your house, post a sign which lists all the stuff you are banning from your home or verbally communicate your ban list to those who you intend to invite into your home so that your visitors will know the limitations you will be placing on them if they choose to enter your home.

If you invite someone in without communicating a ban list to them, how will they know if they are not following your rules?

They are not obligated to inform you about any inanimate objects they currently possess on their person.

If you want to make your home a gun free victim zone, that is within your Rights.

The only way you can enforce your gun free victim zone is to communicate to all would be visitors that your home is a gun free victim zone and firearms are not permitted.

#246 ·
I've never told a person that I'm carrying when I enter their house. The only time I remove my weapon is when I know I'm going to be drinking, and then it is locked up, otherwise it makes no nevermind to anyone since it stays hidden.

A decent analogy would be walking into a store and asking to see a manager and then telling them you have a concealed pistol and you are going to be carrying it in their store. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

Reactions: 9MMare
#250 ·
One more and In off this one lol. On the tell nobody side the only people that know Im carrying all the time are people I am with alot and trust. I will specifically tell one of my close friends I am for sure and where if Im going on a motorcycle trip with them. And only because if I go down and the folks im riding with come to my aid I want at least one close friend to know where it is so someone doesn't get accidentally shot if they are trying to render first aid to me and I am unconscious. I wont know what condition the weapon might be in after a crash. But that is the only time I bother and then only to a trusted friend.

As far a going into a home, I must be antisocial or something because I dont go into others homes unless we know each other well. Well enough that they know I am likely carrying and I know its not a problem. If you arent in that camp you wont be in my home. I dont invite acquaintances inside my home. But from some of the reponses the OP got Im beginning to think im a hermit :blink:

#251 ·
Nope, people who's home I enter know I carry anyway but I do not announce it. Sometimes I may not be if it is for a party where people might get alittle crazy. I keep things pretty quiet in regards to whether I carry or not. Even my girlfriend wwould not know of I was or not. I prefer to be anonymous that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.