Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm concerned about entering friend's homes and carrying my concealed weapon without their knowledge. I know that a sign must be posted in Texas according ...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

ArmedLady

Do you tell or not tell when entering other peoples home while carrying?

I'm concerned about entering friend's homes and carrying my concealed weapon without their knowledge. I know that a sign must be posted in Texas according to code, to prevent you from entering, but I feel that it's a courtesy to ask and discuss it with the homeowner. My husband and I do not want weapons coming into our home without our knowledge.

Currently, I have a friend that is scared of guns, so I secure it in my vehicle when I am at her home. When I am at a friend's house that does not know I carry, I secure it in my vehicle also.

What do you do?

Thank you for your replies. I am new to carrying.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Why on Earth would you tell? Concealed MEANS concealed.

ETA: This post comes off a little rougher than I intended but the message holds true. Think about it. Why would you tell them? What response are you wanting? do you want to start a dialogue about guns? You can do that without telling people that you are armed.

Now to add some wisdom from my experience: The less people that know you carry a gun the better. there will be less rude remarks, there will be less blowback from antis and there will be less chance that a friend will "out" you at a really bad time.
    Anubis, sixgun, wmhawth and 8 others like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Scared of guns or not, there is no reason for anyone to be scared of mine. It remains concealed, secured in my holster at all times except when prohibited by law.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I keep my mouth shut. Concealed is concealed. It's my business, not theirs.

i don't think id say anything either unless it was a close friend but besides that what they don't know won't hurt them. unless u need to hurt them lol
    sauerpuss likes this.

No. I do not feel compelled to share other personal information with them...this is no different.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If I don't know them well enough to not worry about it, I won't go in.
    BugDude and tcox4freedom like this.

I don't say anything, and I carry concealed.

Austin

I carry semi open here in tn mostly, but when I carry concealed its concealed. I don't say anything unless I feel there is a need to. I have not felt there was a need to yet.
    Jaybm likes this.

VIP Member
    The only way anyone would know that I carried a gun into their home would be if I ended up needing to use it due to a home invasion or some such thing taking place while I was there. In honesty I feel the same about people as I do businesses. If it is legal to carry into your home I will. If you make it clear that you don't want someone to carry in your home that's fine, I'll never enter your home. If someone expects that I'll talk to them about a weapon before I enter their home then they probably don't want to be my friend because I'm not going to ask.
    JDE101, FloridaBiker and KBSR like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

ArmedLady
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Why on Earth would you tell? Concealed MEANS concealed.

ETA: This post comes off a little rougher than I intended but the message holds true. Think about it. Why would you tell them? What response are you wanting? do you want to start a dialogue about guns? You can do that without telling people that you are armed.

Now to add some wisdom from my experience: The less people that know you carry a gun the better. there will be less rude remarks, there will be less blowback from antis and there will be less chance that a friend will "out" you at a really bad time.
    Don't worry, you will not hurt my feelings with your honest opinion. I did ask for it all. So it's ok for other people's concealed weapons in your home, without your knowledge?

I wouldn't think twice about carrying into someone's home, and I couldn't care less if they carried into mine. Presuming we're all law-abiding citizens, what's the problem?
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Nope. Never been outed and if I was I'd just tell them that I assumed they liked the Constitution and then leave.
    Blkandrust likes this.

I don't go to that many different people's homes to begin with, but I certainly don't advertise the fact that I'm carrying! Concealed means concealed! The people I know to whose houses I would go would not object to me carrying anyway. I don't have any "anti gun" friends. Just my .02.
    KBSR likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Doesn't bother me I carry 100% concealed. Sometimes I will not bend over to tie a shoe if I am carrying I will and always look around to ensure if it does happen to print it does not do so loudly. I wouldn't care if someone carried in my house either.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Links