EDC clean or dirty

This is a discussion on EDC clean or dirty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy A little bit dirty. I am here as well. If I have only fired a couple hundred rounds, I don't worry ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: EDC clean or dirty

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    A little bit dirty.
    I am here as well. If I have only fired a couple hundred rounds, I don't worry about it. I have "tested" my PPS dirty with over 500 rounds and no problem.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

I clean my Glocks after I get home from the range. Whatever works for you is fine.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I carry mine a little dirty... When I go to the range I always have my carry gun tucked away nicely especialy if I breaking in a new firearm.. I will usually squeez off 50 or so rounds at the end of my range visit just to reinforce muscle memory for it, especially if I was shooting a new firearm or different caliber. This isn't some kind of scientific measure at all, just something I do to stay as familiar as I can with my carry gun, and somewhat of a small reliability test for it since its last outing. From there, it gets tucked back in and carried until somewhere down the road when I decide to clean whatever I took to the range; could be a day or so, but it could also be as long as a month. When I'm breaking in a new EDC that I just gotta carry ASAP, it's a little different.. I'll run the snot outta it on its first range trip, if everything ran well, I'll clean it and oil it up before carry. Once it's I the rotation it gets the same treatment as all the others.. My XDS is n my hip right now after running 50 rounds at the last trip to the range and all I've done is wipe the exterior down, oil the rails and wiped the feed ramp down... Cycles like butter . I also read somewhere that a slightly fouled barrel is more accurate..
    d2jlking likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I feel strongly about this both ways. :)

I've done both. Back when I was qualifying each quarter, I'd usually clean my weapons at the range, test fire after cleaning, and go on my way. Now that I'm retired, I usually clean them at home, when I can concentrate on the task at hand.

Because I've put my pistols back together, only to have them not work correctly, I always take them outside and fire them a couple of times before I consider them "service ready", after cleaning. It's just my thing.

Whatever works best for you is good enough. Just get in a habit, and stick to it, so you don't one day draw your pistol and have it go "click" because you left it unchambered, intending to clean it later. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Personally I think modern handguns using modern ammo don't need the same level of cleaning as they did in years past. Not saying I don't clean my blued revolvers after use to avoid rust and certainly some .22 pistols need a good cleaning after 500 rounds of cheap ammo. But Glocks and the like?- A good wipe down and they are good to go. But then i don't shoot more than a couple of hundred rounds at a time anymore. For my carry gun I always shoot a couple rounds out back after a complete cleaning. I want to know it's functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    I have the luxury of having several carry guns... all of the same platform. I never shoot my current carry gun at the range. If I want to shoot carry guns "A, B, and C", then I clean and holster carry gun "D", and carry it. If I want to shoot carry guns "B, C, and D", then I clean and holster carry gun "A". In public, I'm always carrying a clean, ready-to-use handgun.

I do my cleaning at home, in a controlled environment.
    Sometimes Ill take all of my guns to the range. If I shoot my carry Ill carry it home and clean it when I get home but thats not always the case. I do like the idea of carrying a clean gun. Just for peace of mind and to reduce the posibility of a malfunction.

I follow a simple rule: If you shoot the gun, clean if afterward.

There's no round-count involved. One cartridge or 1000, it's all the same.

Clean at home, where you can take your time and be careful.

When you pick up your weapon, it is clean, oiled, and like-new, ready for use.

Some people have a different perspective. That's OK. The cleaning procedure is only partly about cleaning the gun. The other parts involve understanding, muscle memory, and learning about how the mechanism works.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Clean 'em the day i shoot 'em. I do wait until I get home from the range.
    jrclen likes this.

VIP Member
    Always clean. I read a story somewhere where some innocent permit holder got pulled over. Turns out there was a shooting, and this guy's vehicle matched the description of the shooter's car. Permit holder tells the cops he's armed, they take his gun and examine to see if it had been fired. Nothing but nice and clean. I don't remember the rest of the details.

The chances of something like that happening to somebody are slim to none, but I'd just prefer to have a squeaky clean gun that smells like Hoppe's No. 9.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I always clean after shooting, but not at the range. But I carry a Glock and dirty isn't an issue. I just don't want to carry around a stinky gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

EDC clean or dirty

It sounded like he was asking if he needed to clean his EDC before leaving the range in order to maintain its reliability. My opinion is that the gun just needs to be routinely cleaned. clean it after you shoot it or periodically if you never shoot it to check for corrosion. but that does not need to happen at the range. your firearm will fire many, many rounds before it starts to bind up. it will be fine the rest of the day, week, or month in your hip though if you don't get to it right away.

I think that cleaning them the same day is a good habit to have though. if you wait, you may forget.

I will clean mine at home the same day of shooting. But I have never considered cleaning my gun at my range. It's 8 bucks or 4 for members like me per half hour at the local indoor range and I'm not spending money to rent space to clean a gun. If the carry gun I shot is a revolver I reload all the cylinders. If its a semi auto I load it but don't chamber it because I know I'm going right home and it is the only time I feel confident in carrying unchambered.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I use froglube on my gun so cleaning consists of just wiping it down. Since it is so easy I just wipe down the outside before I re-holster and head home. This way I know my cloths won't get dirty.
    Darrow75 likes this.

EDC clean or dirty

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Always clean. I read a story somewhere where some innocent permit holder got pulled over. Turns out there was a shooting, and this guy's vehicle matched the description of the shooter's car. Permit holder tells the cops he's armed, they take his gun and examine to see if it had been fired. Nothing but nice and clean. I don't remember the rest of the details.

The chances of something like that happening to somebody are slim to none, but I'd just prefer to have a squeaky clean gun that smells like Hoppe's No. 9.
    ^^^this brings up a good point^^^

If something like this would happen and your just coming from the range carrying your gun that you were firing, how would a LEO react to a dirty firearm? My friends father said to me once " you can't be innocent from a shooting with a dirty gun" and I am thinking this is what he was meaning.

I had one gun that was more accurate when dirty versus freshly cleaned. The first 3-5 shots had a larger spread than the follow up shots. With that gun (XD .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel) I made it a policy to remove the barrel, clean it while at the range, reinstall and send 5 more down range. Personally I like a clean gun. I had a 1911 that I didn't clean once between trips to the range and the slide got really stiff on me when tried to use it outdoors on a very cold day.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links