EDC clean or dirty - Page 3

EDC clean or dirty

This is a discussion on EDC clean or dirty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There isn't a great deal of table space at the range so cleaning there wouldn't work. I shoot off the .22 for a bit, this ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: EDC clean or dirty

There isn't a great deal of table space at the range so cleaning there wouldn't work. I shoot off the .22 for a bit, this is fun lol, then I go through a couple of boxes in my carry. I end my range time with a few hundred through the .22 again, like I said this is fun. I clean them when I get home. Could have been wrong advice but I was told to clean each time I shoot and to take the firing pin out and clean at least every 6 months.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I take it home and clean it after the range.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Mine will make it home to be cleaned! DR

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    Could have been wrong advice but I was told to clean each time I shoot and to take the firing pin out and clean at least every 6 months.
    In my opinion, you were told correctly. I might modify the firing pin frequency a bit. As long as the firing pin continues to move freely, it's likely fine. I remove and inspect my firing pins every couple of months, but I've never found an issue that a wipe-down, Q-tip the channel, and replace wouldn't solve.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Agree with everyone that says take two to the range. One to kill paper, one to strap to your side after you wreak revenge on dead pulp.
    I would not do any type of cleaning at the range. Too likely to lose something. I spent two hours once looking for my recoil spring after qualifying with my 92F at Fort Polk. I ain't trampsing down that road again.

I'm in the "Shoot it = Clean it" camp.
    I also don't shoot my carry choice of the day at the range. If I want to shoot one I normally carry, I'll rotate one of the other carry options into the holster that day...and that's where it stays.
    OD* likes this.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. ~ Col. Jeff Cooper

i prefer to carry a dirty semi-auto, when possible. if my carry pistol has had 10-100 rounds through it when it's on my hip, then i KNOW it works. it's very hard to reassemble a modern designed gun incorrectly, and i have confidence in a newly cleaned gun, but not quite at the same level as that with a gun that was fired before going in the holster. no pistol of mine has ever choked because it was too dirty, because i clean them before they get that dirty.

if i'm carrying a DA revolver, then i prefer it to be clean, or at least with no more than a few rounds through it.

if i've been carrying a particular gun for two months or more, then it gets cleaned even though it hasn't been fired during that time. i will either pay special attention during reassembly (if i'm going to carry it right away), or switch to a gun that has had some rounds through it.

one of my inspirations for my bias is a comment from World IPSC champion Ross Seyfried: "a 1911 will run dirty, but it won't run dry."

my pistols are always well lubed after cleaning.

I'm in the "little bit dirty" camp. If my gun worked at the range, then it's going to work when I really need it. I go to the range 2-4 times a month, shooting hundreds of rounds though my 22 pistol but perhaps 50 rounds or less through my EDC autos each trip. I clean and lube the guns I regularly shoot about once a month. After purchasing a new auto and breaking it in, I then intentionally run it dirty for many trips to the range (hundreds of rounds) to prove to myself that it will function perfectly while dirty (I never shoot a gun dry). I have never had a problem shooting any of my EDC guns that I could blame on shooting it dirty; they are modern S&W pistols. I'm fairly new at this (less than 1 year), so I can't speak from decades of experience like many others can. I've settled on this practice based on what I've read on this forum and the S&W forum.

Added thought: Every trip to the range I try to always shoot my EDC at least a few rounds with the defense ammo currently loaded in it. This proves to me it would have worked if I needed it. Just another way to build confidence in my EDC and the ammo.
    Last edited by Ransom; January 1st, 2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added thought

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I generally prefer to clean it so not to get powder or residue on my clothing. However I keep my EDC on me at the range unless I am practicing with it, then I carry another gun. Always a Glock though.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I generally prefer to clean it so not to get powder or residue on my clothing. However I keep my EDC on me at the range unless I am practicing with it, then I carry another gun. Always a Glock though. I prefer to keep the same manual of arms.

KoB
    Prior to my latest range trip last week, I hadnt cleaned my HK P2000sk in a couple of months. No I didn't fret, I
    continued to carry it with the utmost "FAITH" that it will go bang the next time the trigger is squoze. Sure enough, last week, she went bang!

I have no problem running my HK dirty....IT'S A HK!!

...and virtually all will "go bang".... until they don't. Reasonable maintenance is afforded to many things that don't cost as much, nor possibly play a critical defensive role, like a firearm does. When I pay around $1000 for a firearm, the maintenance is gonna be much more than haphazard.

Just my two cents.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I carry my ditry gun and clean it at home along with the other guns that where shoot that day. Trust any gun that I carry or it wouldn't be a carry gun
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I clean it every time I shoot it. But I wait until I get home.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

EDC clean or dirty

I always clean mine at home and on the same day they are fired. The most I will do at the range is a bore snake, but I rarely do that. If I had a carry gun that I didn't trust to shoot a little bit dirty, then I likely would not carry it. I figure that after the first round it's already a little bit dirty...each round after that is being shot from a dirty gun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links