EDC clean or dirty

This is a discussion on EDC clean or dirty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually will run a bore snake through it a couple if times and call it good. More thorough cleanings will be done back at ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: EDC clean or dirty

I usually will run a bore snake through it a couple if times and call it good. More thorough cleanings will be done back at my house.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

2. Remove Ads

I try to clean mine when I get home but if I don't and it takes me a few days to get to them I don't lose any sleep over it.
    At one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I feel strongly about this both ways. :)

I've done both. Back when I was qualifying each quarter, I'd usually clean my weapons at the range, test fire after cleaning, and go on my way. Now that I'm retired, I usually clean them at home, when I can concentrate on the task at hand.

Because I've put my pistols back together, only to have them not work correctly, I always take them outside and fire them a couple of times before I consider them "service ready", after cleaning. It's just my thing.

Whatever works best for you is good enough. Just get in a habit, and stick to it, so you don't one day draw your pistol and have it go "click" because you left it unchambered, intending to clean it later. Be safe.
    Was chatting with a friend at work one day about guns and what we each carry. He then asks me the quesiton: What is the first thing you should do after cleaning your gun? I didn't know how to answer that. I usually put the gun away. EIther in the holster or the gun case. His response was you should shoot the gun. I was confused. Why would I shoot my nice clean gun that is going into the holster? His response was how do you know you put it back together correctly and it will fire? Changed my way of thinking right there. I now clean before the range and keep my EDC practice to 50-100 rounds. That way I know that when I want it to it will go bang and not click.

Quote Originally Posted by mnmbrewing View Post
    His response was you should shoot the gun. I was confused. Why would I shoot my nice clean gun that is going into the holster? His response was how do you know you put it back together correctly and it will fire? Changed my way of thinking right there.
    That's what function checks are for.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. ~ Col. Jeff Cooper

Perhaps if one can't be certain that one re-assembled the gun correctly, one shouldn't have taken the gun apart in the first place.....

No disrespect intended.....
    DMan, jrclen and BurgerBoy like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Gotta clean it. If you don't Gunny will come back from the dead and beat the living s*** out of you.
    JetGirl, jrclen and thephanatik like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Gotta clean it. If you don't Gunny will come back from the dead and beat the living s*** out of you.
    Semper Fi....

Some of my toys....

I would shoot all day and carry it afterwards but that's me. Whatever you are comfortable with, me personally I would rather carry a dirty weapon than no weapon at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Not much is worse than being eyeballed by a Marine who has your dirty firearm in their hands.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. ~ Col. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JetGirl View Post
    Not much is worse than being eyeballed by a Marine who has your dirty firearm in their hands.
    ...and because of that "eyeball", you now have weapons that can pass any inspection, by anyone, not to mention that you have no doubts whatsoever that after you clean and reassemble the gun, it will go bang when and if you need it to.

..... yer welcome........

Some of my toys....

The range I use is WAY out in the middle of nowhere, there is not even phone service at the location, so I always keep a separate carry weapon on me in case somebody decides they want my stuff, bad enough to rob me of it.
    usmcj likes this.
    John Luttrell

Mostly clean. I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    The range I use is WAY out in the middle of nowhere, there is not even phone service at the location, so I always keep a separate carry weapon on me in case somebody decides they want my stuff, bad enough to rob me of it.
    Excellent situational awareness... there have been several murders at outdoor shooting ranges... remote, high value items, that are easy to transport, and gunfire wouldn't alarm anyone... just sayin'

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    Sort of the same here. Adding to that ^, I wear electronic earmuffs turned backwards so the directional mic picks up noises from *behind* me. I can hear slow rolling cars crunch gravel and footfalls crunching leaves (or snow)...
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    ...and because of that "eyeball", you now have weapons that can pass any inspection, by anyone, not to mention that you have no doubts whatsoever that after you clean and reassemble the gun, it will go bang when and if you need it to.

..... yer welcome........
    Ladies and gents, ...my coach ^.
    From him, a little of this mixed with a little of that & my are straight, my are squared away and all is with the world.

I always clean my gun after I get home from a range trip. As far as loading a "dirty" gun, I have done it both ways. My gun club only allows loaded guns at the line, so when I am done shooting I either have to load the gun outside in the parking lot, or drive 7 miles home at 65 MPH with an unloaded gun. I don't really see the odds of someone doing a rolling carjacking on me being too great. If I wanted I could take second gun for carry on the way home but I would still have to have it unloaded whie in the gun club and have to load it when I left.

I also don't bother to have a second loaded gun on my while I am cleaning my EDC. If my neighborhood was so bad that I didn't trust my locked doors for the 15 minutes it takes to clean my gun I would move.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links