How Open Are You? - Page 4

How Open Are You?

This is a discussion on How Open Are You? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't post anything about carrying or my specifics on facebook, but I usually "like" pro 2A posts or pics. I'm open and honest about ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: How Open Are You?

I don't post anything about carrying or my specifics on facebook, but I usually "like" pro 2A posts or pics. I'm open and honest about my support of 2A rights and usually add to conversations about why anyone needs to own guns. It's obvious to my "friends" on facebook that I'm pro-gun, but then again probably 99% of them are too. I'm not one of the folks with 2000 "friends" though. Most are people that I actually know and have spent time with.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

my wife knows when i carry. if i have pants on.
    brocktice likes this.

I don't post any specifics on Facebook either. However, I do post pro-gun articles and things of that nature. It think that's a dead giveway that I have guns. Facebook is a double-edge sword.

I am a proponent of gun carry, and ownership, that being said, I am very open on facebook. I do not worry too much who knows I carry. My employer encourages legal carry at work. And EVERYONE, who knows me around town, and all my friends know, I ALWAYS am armed.
    MASSIVE likes this.

Very. I'm a huge proponent for gun rights, having taken part in public debates and other discussions, and once having held the position of Oklahoma director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. I don't run around yelling "I'm carrying a gun!" though.

I do manage to separate my political proponent face from other areas of life to some extent. Not many at my church really know I carry. I suspect many wouldn't not be surprised to find out though.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashdog View Post
    my wife knows when i carry. if i have pants on.
    Shoulder holster will fix that right up for you, no pants required!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Most of my close friends have a CCW . We talk about guns and holsters over breakfast not Facebook. BEWARE, many companies look at their employees social media accounts. Recently my wifes company fired 9 people over what they posted about work on Facebook.

What is Face Book?
    DefConGun likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

It's funny, my companies president was just discussing with my boss how dumb some people are about what they put on facebook. Case in point, we had a person apply for a position and our personal manager did a facebook search and found the guys facebook page with pictures of him toking on a joint (marijuana for those not aware). The company did not bother to call him in for an interview.

I'm pretty open - I don't post how I carry or my address, but every once in awhile I throw something up there - like when I colored in the etchings on my XD, I shared the pic on FB

My main concern is my parents, they're not gun people and I know they worry about me becoming a gun nut so I keep it toned down. It's a darn shame that I'm almost 40 and I still filter my facebook based on what my parents will think but it's true...

Besides family (LEOs) and a some very close friends there are a few coworkers that I shoot with that also have CHLs.

Oh, and my dentist. Don't ask...
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Besides family (LEOs) and a some very close friends there are a few coworkers that I shoot with that also have CHLs.

Oh, and my dentist. Don't ask...
    Oh, I'm asking.
    Lish and Maxwell47 like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have 2 brothers-in-law at opposite ends of the country that are terminal; one has already outlived doctors predictions, the other won't make it through the year. I use Face Book to keep in touch and that is all.

As for people knowing..... hell I OC daily, even when walking the dog around the neighborhood, anyone that even slightly knows me knows I always carry. I have also met and had pleasant conversations with strangers when they inquire about my OCing.

I even OC at the doctors office and place the pistol and mags on a close by shelf for the weigh-in, my doc is a young woman and has shown interest in learning more about personal protection, even the Phlebotomist jokes about being the only one allowed to draw blood.

I'm not open about it. If a "gun person" friend knows me, it has come up in conversation. If a friend is close enough, they know. Most relatives don't know. Those that do didn't find out by accident, and those that don't won't find out unless I decide it's time.

Austin

I'm not too open when it comes to social media. I rant about Walmart and traffic but tend to keep more personal thoughts personal. I don't post much if any gun related items... I may comment on something occasionally but I've got my information locked down to friends only.... and I'm whittling them down periodically.

I don't do social media in any form--I personally think it is stupid. My family is always asking why I don't and I say I am an unteachable old dog.
    But lots of my family, friends, neighbors and community members know I carry. I encourage my friends and even have set up private CHL classes just for my friends and family. My wife, daughter, son (LEO)carry every day as a couple of the in laws. My friends come to our range at the farm or another friends farm to shoot and enjoy. We sit in the coffee shop or feed store and discuss pros and cons of cartridges, guns, carry methods, handloading and everything else we are interested in. One friend says we talk about guns because we are too old to remember why we talked about girls.

I do not have a billboard at the state road advertising that I carry. My neighbors know I do and most of them do also. This is rural Texas and I don't know of any houses without guns for hunting, varmints, fun and protection of out families.
    God Bless Texas and my good God fearing neighbors and friends.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links