How Open Are You? - Page 5

How Open Are You?

This is a discussion on How Open Are You? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe it's because I'm in Texas, or maybe it's just because I'm lucky. A reasonable number of my colleagues have CHL's, and those that don't ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: How Open Are You?

Maybe it's because I'm in Texas, or maybe it's just because I'm lucky. A reasonable number of my colleagues have CHL's, and those that don't are either neutral or pro-gun. Those of us that have (or are obtaining) CHL's don't feel the need to mention when carrying - but we don't shy away from the fact that we're licensed if the topic comes up in conversation. At no point have I heard anyone ever state or deny that they were carrying at any specific time - and I rather like it that way.

How Open Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Considering the number of companies that prohibit employees from carrying, it seems counterproductive to advertise the fact one is carrying on social media.
    You hit the nail on the head here!

And people post way too much personal stuff as it is that should be kept behind closed doors

I'm another of those "old fashioned" types that do NOT do facebook! It may be a great way for the newer generations to keep in touch with friends and family, but it isn't for me. I can't understand why in the world people want to put all the information about their lives and what they are doing out on facebook for the world to see! I "talk" about guns here, but other than that I talk to family and friends face to face about guns and shooting. I'd never dream of posting information or pictures of my guns on facebook for the world to view! Concealed means concealed.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

As a Parent of three adult children, Grandparent of five, I find Facebook a valuable resource into what my kids are up to. Having said that, I do find myself AMAZED, at what the younger generation post on there. I am 51, and remember clearly what my parents REALLY knew about my life, and especially, what I was up to. Quite often, I have learned what "TURMOIL", is forming, by monitoring their post.
    as for myself, I am a self proclaimed, "GUN NUT", and use Facebook to both PROMOTE, and ADVOCATE FOR, Responsible Gun Ownership. I commonly forward, and Like, postings from Gun Advocate websites. I comment FREQUENTLY. And at my age, I am immune from any recourse, from my current, and or, FUTURE employers. Fortunately, my current employer, is a full on, Conservative, like me. And when I was waiting for my newest pistol,(XDm 5.25, 9mm Comp.), to come out of Lay A Way, I think he was as impatiently waiting, as I was to finally shoot it. And He did within days.
    It has COMPLETELY AMAZED me though, what kids will put up for the world to see, FOR EVER, on the Social Sites. And if I was ever in a position, looking for Employment, and my prospective new Boss, was asking for my Facebook Password, I would simply tell them to have a nice day, and that I could NEVER work for someone who thinks employment gives them the Rights to, and Access to, my PERSONAL writings, ANYWHERE, PERIOD.

On face book for a long time. 41 friends. Directly related to 90% of them, the others are friends from the Army. They all know. Probably 80% of them CCW.

Only four individuals know of my license, and that is too many.
    Two happen to be from the law enforcement agency that issued it.
    That leaves only two that know! One is my wife and the other a neighbor. If I want to advertise my license, I will!
    Otherwise, it will remain CONCEALED!! No Facebook!!
    Happy new year from 36 degrees in overcast and very chilly Oregon.
    Last edited by Grandpagus; January 3rd, 2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Add note!

Good topic OP! I personally have posted a few pics of new firearm/holster combos on my FB page. I haven't however advertised the fact that I have my CHL nor when/where I carry. I felt it was a good way of showing my support for our 2nd amendment without getting into specific debates with certain "friends". I personally don't go out of my way to inform people I have a CHL(except my wife,kids,etc.) BUT I don't see a problem with others who want to advertise it, as long as they do so in a mature, professional manner.

VIP Member
    I don't show anything on FB related to firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Oh, I'm asking.
    Let's just say that the Dentist and ALL of her techs have a lot more of my respect now. God I love Texas women!

Max
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

The only Facebook I have is for my business teaching CCW classes. I'm not particularly secretive among people I know, I've beed fixing guns for 20-some years and I take pride in being an ambassador and a source of imformation. I would be a little more professional than "whats in your pocket" though.
    brocktice likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I don't post gun-related stuff on FB. To be honest, I'm a little nervous about "liking" Spyderco on FB. ;-)

I don't broadcast that I carry. My immediate family, however, know that I carry. Some of them also have CDWs but they don't carry as often as I do. Given that carrying is prohibited at work I don't carry there but if I'm not at work I'm either carrying, or its very close by.

I was watching a Nut'N Fancy video the other day and he's saying if you're not an advocate then you're part of the problem. He didn't say that in so many words but that was the gist of it. He said that if you carry then by default you have to be political. I just find that things stay simpler if I don't talk about carrying. Everyone talks about diversity and tolerance, etc. but all of those morals fly out of the window when you carry. Those that are tolerant about everything else don't seem to be as tolerant when it comes to you carrying a gun to protect yourself. Everyone knows that people that carry guns are a David Koresh in the making.

cj
    I've got decent online presences...I don't hide the fact that I like firearms in one, but don't go on about it or discuss it much.

The other is on forums, runs a firearm-related website, and advocates strongly for discretion when sharing personal information, particularly when related to firearms.

I'm not open about it on Facebook. However, Facebook has a "list" feature, which allows you to group friends into lists. Anything political/gun related goes to only the people I care to share the information with. It's more so I don't annoy everyone I'm Facebook friends with with my political views than actually trying to "hide" anything though.

To me, if a potential employer won't hire me because I legally carry a concealed weapon outside of work, its not a company I have any interest in working for anyways. Most of the people I knew from college should be more worried that 90% of the pictures they are tagged in on Facebook are of them completely wasted at a bar or party.

If someone I know is genuinely interested, I'll discuss guns/concealed carry with them. If I can get others to start taking responsibility for their own safety (or at least not oppose those that do), that's more important to me than making sure nobody knows I carry a gun. If we want to keep concealed-carry around long-term, we need a majority of American's to support it. Only a couple percent actually carry concealed, which tells me most American's don't think about it. If everyone that is pro CCW is super hush-hush, only the anti-gunners are going to be heard.
    brocktice likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I'm with you (OP): my "carry" status is my own business. Publishing information about me and mine that could (in the wrong hands) harm me and mine seems pointless. If those who would do so choose to attempt it, let them come and try; I'll not help them by handing them the "keys." But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Open or Not?

I have been known to be a Facebook wh*re. Sharing more than I probably should about numerous topics. Just for some background, I am 50+ and currently have 896 personal, community, and photography 'friends'.

In the wake of Sandy Hook I feel we all need to be more open. It does no good for us to be a silent majority. How many of your friends think guns are unnatural because none of their friends own a gun?

I am not comfortable about open carrying myself, since if I ever have need to unholster my weapon I want it to be a surprise to the bad guy. I doubt the bad guy is one of my friends on Facebook.
    MASSIVE and brocktice like this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links